False friends and other unfortunate coincidences

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Re: False friends and other unfortunate coincidences

Post by All4Ɇn »

Wouldn't be surprised if this one has been mentioned before

:eng: mentor
:fra: menteur "liar"
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

GrandPiano wrote:
clawgrip wrote:A false friend should be cognate but with a different meaning. ZH機 and ZH机 are cognate and have the same meaning, so they can't be false friends.
Are you sure? To my understanding, false friends don't have to be cognates, although they usually at least appear to be.
Correct. The whole point is that it looks like a friend, but it's not.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Imralu wrote:
GrandPiano wrote:
clawgrip wrote:A false friend should be cognate but with a different meaning. ZH機 and ZH机 are cognate and have the same meaning, so they can't be false friends.
Are you sure? To my understanding, false friends don't have to be cognates, although they usually at least appear to be.
Correct. The whole point is that it looks like a friend, but it's not.
I guess my own understanding of "false friend" has been too narrow up to now. I went to the Wikipedia article to bone up on the subject, but while I find the definition and examples there a bit nebulous, I guess I must relent. The German page, after talking about various types of false friends, then goes on to list a number of examples that I would actually consider false friends -- things you don't think you have to worry about in parsing/translating, but in fact, have different meanings from what you'd expect.

Il est sensible. is not He is sensible.

that sort of thing.

I personally wouldn't consider :swe: bra and :eng: bra to be false friends, nor :deu: Rat and :eng: rat

:swe: rolig vs. :nor: :dan: rolig seems to be one.

Cross-Pondian meanings of

pants
knickers
fanny

seem fertile ground for this sort of thing.

As for simplified Chinese 机 (which, as has been conceded, usually occurs in compounds), how could one possibly misinterpret that as desk or vice versa? I would hope it clear that I don't think the physical Japanese utterances of "tsukue" and Chinese "ji1" are related (beyond onyomi, and I don't know any Japanese words with this (let alone Chinese besides 茶机 (usually 茶几). The Wikipedia article talks about "homoglyphs", which may have been a better term for what clawgrip and I were discussing (and less to fewer misunderstandings). Perhaps in complete isolation one could misconstrue meaning, but if a false friend is the "false friend of a translator", how could this be misinterpreted in any sort of context?

Not that there aren't Sino-Japanese kanji misunderstandings or Chinese inter-dialectal shenanigans, but I don't think it occurs here.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Lao Kou wrote:fanny

*giggles childishly
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

Lao Kou wrote:As for simplified Chinese 机 (which, as has been conceded, usually occurs in compounds), how could one possibly misinterpret that as desk or vice versa?
Perhaps it would be easier to imagine the other way around; since there are many characters that can be used on their own in Japanese but only occur in compounds in Mandarin (e.g. 足, 今, 体), it's possible that someone only familiar with the Chinese meaning of 机 might see 机 used in Japanese and assume it means "machine" or "opportunity".
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

DesEsseintes wrote:
*giggles childishly
I'm a caution.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

Another Chinese/Japanese orthographical false friend:

:chn: 走 zǒu "to walk" - :jpn: 走る hashiru "to run"
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

GrandPiano wrote:Another Chinese/Japanese orthographical false friend: :chn: 走 zǒu "to walk" - :jpn: 走る hashiru "to run"
In that vein, Mandarin's 我先走 (wǒ xiān zǒu)(Japanese's お先に(失礼します)) (osaki ni (shitsurei shimasu)) (Pardon me for leaving (first). (used when leaving, while others remain) is in Shanghainese 我先跑 (ngu xi bo - an on-the-fly romanization as I'm too lazy to spend time on this).

As with the discussion earlier, you need only go back in time to see Chinese in the sense of "run" (cf. 奔走).
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

DesEsseintes wrote:

*giggles childishly
Wait... Does that mean something other than "butt"?
Last edited by Thrice Xandvii on 13 Aug 2017 19:07, edited 1 time in total.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Thrice Xandvii wrote:
DesEsseintes wrote:
*giggles childishly
Wait... Does Tha mean something other than "butt"?
It does: Definition 2. Tee hee.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

This is why Commonwealthians find it so hilarious that Americans say "fanny pack" ... mind you, we call them "bum bags" (at least in Australia) and "fanny pack" would make a lot more sense considering they're worn on the front, not the back.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Imralu wrote:This is why Commonwealthians find it so hilarious that Americans say "fanny pack" ... mind you, we call them "bum bags" (at least in Australia) and "fanny pack" would make a lot more sense considering they're worn on the front, not the back.
Indeed, no matter the dialect, getting it on the expected side of the human body seems elusive in terminology. [;)] But what are the options? "Fanny" in American English is a childish word for "bottom" (as is "bum"). A "muff pack"(rather crude)? References to the abdomen hardly capture the imagination... Belly bag? [>_<]
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

:chn: Mandarin 一 yī [ji˥] "one" - :hkg: Cantonese 二 ji6 [ji˨] "two"

:hkg: 八 baat3 "eight" - :hkg: 百 baak3 "hundred"
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

Lao Kou wrote: But what are the options? "Fanny" in American English is a childish word for "bottom" (as is "bum"). A "muff pack"(rather crude)? References to the abdomen hardly capture the imagination... Belly bag? [>_<]
Cuntpack? Ballsack? Dick bag? Crotch pocket?

I like the last one the most. It sounds like crotch rocket, which is what we call miniature motorbikes in Australia ...
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
ixals
sinic
sinic

Post by ixals »

:eng: metallic /məˈtæ.lɪk/
:ukr: метелик /mɛˈtɛ.lɪk/ - butterfly

Stumbled upon this Ukrainian word while creating vocabulary and I knew the word had a familiar sound!
Native: :deu:
Learning: :gbr:, :chn:, :tur:, :fra:

Zhér·dûn a tonal Germanic conlang

old stuff: Цiски | Noattȯč | Tungōnis Vīdīnōs
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

ixals wrote: :ukr: метелик /mɛˈtɛ.lɪk/ - butterfly
Also reminds me of :deu: Schmetterling
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

:jpn: マグロ maguro "tuna" - :eng: mackerel
Alessio
sinic
sinic

Post by Alessio »

:ita: :fin:
In the local language spoken around the area of Pesaro, in central Italy, "I don't want" is translated as "en voi".
In Finnish, "en voi" means "I can not, I am not able to".
I've always found it funny, because you know, "I can't/don't know how to do that" is often an excuse to avoid doing something you don't want to do.
:ita: :eng: [:D] | :fra: :esp: :rus: [:)] | :con: Hecathver, Hajás, Hedetsūrk, Darezh...

Tin't inameint ca tót a sàm stê żōv'n e un po' cajoun, mo s't'armâgn cajoun an vōl ménga dîr t'armâgn anc żōven...
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

:kor: 제일 tɕ͡e.il "First; The most; Best" :eng: Jail
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

English promise and promiscuous

they look similar but the meanings are virtually unrelated
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.