What did you accomplish today? [2011–2019]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Frislander »

I finally found the time to write up part 2 of my Daléekommos sound changes, because my weekend actually turned out to be even busier than I had planned.
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

I'm trying pure dependent marking for a change and it's doing me good. The phonotactics and phoneme inventory are complicated enough to not be too boring and yet accommodating to easter eggs and not too out there. Roots so far are a pleasing balance of monosyllables and not-so-monosyllables. Many critical affixes already have definite forms.
I look forward to the project without my prior hangups.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Frislander wrote:I finally found the time to write up part 2 of my Daléekommos sound changes, because my weekend actually turned out to be even busier than I had planned.
I love that you're doing a Algolang. I haven't ever seen an a posteriori one that comes from Proto-Algonquian. [<3] Can't wait to see how it turns out!
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

qwed117 wrote:
Frislander wrote:I finally found the time to write up part 2 of my Daléekommos sound changes, because my weekend actually turned out to be even busier than I had planned.
I love that you're doing a Algolang. I haven't ever seen an a posteriori one that comes from Proto-Algonquian. [<3] Can't wait to see how it turns out!
Thank you!

You won't have done no, though actually it wasn't the first one to appear on the ZBB. It's actually quite hard work, because while there is an online version of Bloonfield's original sketch (the one he used to prove the applicability of the comparative method to all language families) that sketch is wrong in quite a few places, and it's even missing things like negation (I kid ye not, there's nothing on negation there whatsoever), and that's not counting the sheer amount of grammar that there is (and grammar that is completely different from what I'm used to even as a polysynthesis nut). It's been through multiple iterations but I think I'm getting on top of the morphology now - certainly the nouns are sorted and much of the finite verb morphology as well, but there's still so much left to do, and I do need to try and incorporate more Crow influence (especially with regards to loanwords) this time round as I said I would.

And that's assuming I can even stay with the project in its current form, which tbf it looks like I might manage it but still that spectre is hanging over me.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Started transferring Proto-Mayan dictionary entries onto Wiktionary. Took me a while to figure out how to make an entry in a new language page.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

Playing around with some ideas for vowel mergers in Pannonian

ā ă > a
ī ĭ > i
ŭ ū > u
ē ĕ ŏ ō > ɛ e ɔ o

Or

ī ē > i
ĭ ĕ > e ɛ
ā ă > a
ŭ ŏ > o ɔ
ō ū > u

The first is closer to the vowel mergers in Eastern Romance but the second one is more interesting to me.
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

The second one does look more intriguing...
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

I quite like that second option actually.
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
Lamche
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Lamche »

Today for the first time I experienced what is commonly known as ANADEW.
Tekian, the conlang I have been working on in the last few years, is a Sino-tibetan language with strong Chinese influence. I wanted a way to tell words apart, and my idea was to change the tone of the last syllable of each word (or more specifically, each noun phrase and each verb phrase). I thought it was some unique feature no natlang had.
Well, I just realized that Min Chinese already does that, but better: tones are changed in all syllables except the last one. Luckily Tekian has some other features I can still believe to be unique.
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

I think I've finally got all subordinate clauses in Daléekommos under control. I've decided there won't be a separate "aorist" preverd sáa- in addition to the relative preverb áa- (which compensates for the loss of additional change à la Cheyenne), and I've decided how the reflexes of the Proto-Algonquian conjunct moods are going to pan out (long story short they're all merged into a single paradigm based off of the subjunctive/participle except for the iterative which remains as a separate affix with an irregular morphophonemic shift of a word-final -k to -t). I'm also coming close to having a fully fleshed-out TAm system, with the addition of a reportative and a dubitative mood.

The downside to all this is that the language now ought not to be called "Daléekommos"; due to changes in how relative clauses work and the shapes of the conjunct inflection the name will have to be changed to Áalaléekowoó (the meaning, "that which we understand", is still the same), so I'll have to make an edit to some of the stuff I've posted already.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Frislander wrote:The downside to all this is that the language now ought not to be called "Daléekommos"; due to changes in how relative clauses work and the shapes of the conjunct inflection the name will have to be changed to Áalaléekowoó (the meaning, "that which we understand", is still the same), so I'll have to make an edit to some of the stuff I've posted already.
I think Áalaléekowoó is a much nicer name, so I think that's great. [:)]

I have problems with <d>.
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

Lamche wrote:Today for the first time I experienced what is commonly known as ANADEW.
Tekian, the conlang I have been working on in the last few years, is a Sino-tibetan language with strong Chinese influence. I wanted a way to tell words apart, and my idea was to change the tone of the last syllable of each word (or more specifically, each noun phrase and each verb phrase). I thought it was some unique feature no natlang had.
Well, I just realized that Min Chinese already does that, but better: tones are changed in all syllables except the last one. Luckily Tekian has some other features I can still believe to be unique.
Heads up, nothing is actually unique. While the system itself can be unique, rest assured, there's ANADEW to every single feature of it.

Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

(Unless you go out of your way to disregard naturalness or "universals.")
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

DesEsseintes wrote: I have problems with <d>.
And yet your username starts with it. [:)]

As well as my real first name, that is.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

I did a thing!
(Which may be posted elsewhere... *tries to whistle innocently, but can't since he can't whistle at all*)

loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

Thrice Xandvii wrote:I did a thing!
(Which may be posted elsewhere... *tries to whistle innocently, but can't since he can't whistle at all*)

Congratulations Thrice, you are now one of the select few to have come up with a non-Chinese-y logography. And its pretty at that!

MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

It still looks nice, but it's really very Chinese-y.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

@loglorn: ...it's pretty "Chinese-y" though, since the language on which it is based is from the same family: Tangut.

Still, I like it.
Last edited by Thrice Xandvii on 14 Sep 2017 19:36, edited 1 time in total.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

MrKrov wrote:It still looks nice, but it's really very Chinese-y.
It's a good thing I wasn't aiming to NOT look like Chinese, since I love Asian scripts in general.
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

It's a good thing you can fuck right off since I wasn't complaining and not to you.