It's Time To Change It All...

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
lsd
greek
greek

It's Time To Change It All...

Post by lsd »

pic removed on request of moderation
Do you have your own standards for time calculation...
And about your mathematics base ...
Last edited by lsd on 14 Nov 2017 19:33, edited 1 time in total.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Re: It's Time To Change It All...

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

I almost always use Base 12. However, Vingdagese uses Base 8.

As for time? I once tried to come up with a novel calendar and time keeping method... It was really frustrating to use effectively without some sort of conversion program/chart. Alas, I will likely make one for VDT.
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

Griuskant numbers use base 10, and the language prefers scientific notation to express greater numbers.

The native griuskant language divides a day into 20 hours starting from dawn, and divides the year into seasons (months and weeks don't exist!). As for exactly how they are defined upon a standard, let's just say, there is a horologist's chronometer somewhere that is able to keep track of time according to the rhythm of the world; think of it like the conworld's version of an atomic clock, and everyone uses that as a reference.
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 11 Nov 2017 23:45 I once tried to come up with a novel calendar and time keeping method... It was really frustrating to use effectively without some sort of conversion program/chart. Alas, I will likely make one for VDT.
Could you like to precise the way you followed...
Reyzadren wrote: 12 Nov 2017 01:02 Griuskant numbers use base 10, and the language prefers scientific notation to express greater numbers.
Is there a special way to that scientific notation...

For myself, I count the time in days..
Days in quotient on demand, without preconceived division...
Beyond a day, in multiple, without division preconceived either...
Despite the time I practice, I'm quickly overwhelmed by the math base conversions, and the numbers, beyond the hundreds, require a spreadsheet editor...
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

lsd wrote: 12 Nov 2017 13:24 Could you like to precise the way you followed...
I... don't have any idea what this means.
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

I would like to see your attempt in time comput, if you want to...
(could>would lapsus...)
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

lsd wrote: 11 Nov 2017 22:51 Do you have your own standards for time calculation...
In The World, time during the day is not often specifically marked. Eredawn, dawn, Sunrise, forenoon, high noon, aftnoon, Sunset, dusk, aftdusk, night. That's about as complex as most folks ever think about the divisions of the day, and few need to be any more precise than that. Even where horologues are available. Most horologues (be they clockwork or thaumological horoscopions) have but one indicator hand, and that would be for hours (very much like this), though you can easily deduce subfractions by noting how far the hand has moved from the hour position.

Large municipal horoscopions rarely have any hands. Sometimes these are housed in the same tower with the municipal calendricon, which operates under similar principles. Usually they will have a large face with thirteen hexes painted around them (Imperial Dayreckoning), and each of these hexes is a door that, upon the striking of the hour, opens and plays a clockwork tableau. Some horologues will play a distinct chime upon the hour, but generally the tableau will play throughout the hour and disappear when the next hour is struck.

Very many folks follow the Old Dayreckoning, which is twelve hours rather than thirteen.

Mathematics: ordinary arithmetick, book keeping, trade calculations, alchemists, tradesmen, these all use base-12. "Number crunchers", architects, astrologers, geometers, calculators and the like all use base-60.
Foolster41
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Foolster41 »

Saltha uses a base-25 system. I hadn't thought much of using it for time, because I figured it'd be a pain, so they just use our method of tracking time.
(Also, awesome picture, Metropolis!)
Thrice Xandvii wrote: 11 Nov 2017 23:45 As for time? I once tried to come up with a novel calendar and time keeping method... It was really frustrating to use effectively without some sort of conversion program/chart. Alas, I will likely make one for VDT.
Yeah, I have a sort of base-25 system calendar (5 days in a week, 5 weeks (25 days) in a month with 14 months and 19-20 days outside the month). It's a bit of a pain, and I keep a excel calendar to check the dates.
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

lsd wrote: 12 Nov 2017 13:24
Reyzadren wrote: 12 Nov 2017 01:02 Griuskant numbers use base 10, and the language prefers scientific notation to express greater numbers.
Is there a special way to that scientific notation...
What I meant was, for example, to say 5678, instead of doing this like in English: five thousand six hundred seventy eight

Griuskant prefers doing this: 5.678 thousand, OR 5 thousand .678
As in, only the most important/biggest place value is said, just like the usual scientific notation: 5.678 x 10^3
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

What if the number is
n 10^1000...
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

lsd wrote: 14 Nov 2017 07:03 What if the number is
n 10^1000...
Same thing as English, because the above number has no other "unimportant" digits, n is already followed with the biggest place value.

Therefore in griuskant with 3 words: n 10^ 1000.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

lsd wrote: 11 Nov 2017 22:51 pic removed on request of moderation
Do you have your own standards for time calculation...
Adpihi's numeral base is twelve.
Nevertheless, their nycthemeron is divided into sixteen "hours" (each about one and a half of our hours, or ninety of our minutes).
(This parallels the fact that we have a base-ten numeral system yet divide our nycthemeron into twenty-four hours.)
Each "Adpihi hour" is divided into one-hundred-forty-four "Adpihi minutes", each about five-eighths of one of our minutes, or about thirty-seven-and-a-half of our seconds.
So a twelfth of an Adpihi minute is about three-and-an-eighth of our seconds.
Each Adpihi minute is divided into one-hundred-forty-four "Adpihi seconds", each a bit longer than a quarter of one of our seconds.

I have described Adpihi's lunisolar calendar elsewhere.