What did you accomplish today? [2011–2019]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by shimobaatar »

Frislander wrote: 01 Mar 2018 10:18 My Caucasian Semitic conlang I'm doing with help from Isfendi is coming along fantastically, I now have a full Swadesh list and enough to make example sentences like this.

<ნჷსჷთ ქჷლბს გზანჷ ესჰჷლჷქი>
[ˈnəsət ˈkəɮbɨs gɨˈzɑnə eshəˈɮəki]
woman dog-DAT road-LOC 3-CAUS-walk.PROG-FEM
"The woman is walking her dog along the road"
Very nice! I had a similar idea once (for a Semitic language spoken around the same area), but I lacked, and still lack, the knowledge to make that happen. Really looking forward to learning more about this.
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

Added a 6th griuskant book to the frathwiki page. Now: 1 textbook, 3 translated literature sources and 2 beginner storybooks.

I feel like a separate page is needed to list all those books after the most recent one.
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
Tuyono
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Tuyono »

I got rid of some vowel changes that made no sense and didn't even look irregular enough to be interesting. Pronouns still have some of that mess (and I like them this way), but nouns don't.
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox »

For the first time, have made a set of decent sound changes that i like. I attribute this to my recent studying of the index diachronica, where i have learnt a lot more about realistic sound changes.
:con: Gândölansch (Gondolan)Feongkrwe (Feongrkean)Tamhanddön (Tamanthon)Θανηλοξαμαψⱶ (Thanelotic)Yônjcerth (Yaponese)Ba̧supan (Basupan)Mùthoķán (Mothaucian) :con:
ixals
sinic
sinic

Post by ixals »

I played with suffixing and prefixing in Cissian a little bit and I created the longest word - so far -, “безcтрдячнoсть” (byezstrdyáčnost'), meaning heartlessness. The instrumental plural “безcтрдяцчнoстямi” is even longer with two additional letters but I don't think anyone would encounter it that often. Now I really want to create more long words, goddamn. [>_<]
Native: :deu:
Learning: :gbr:, :chn:, :tur:, :fra:

Zhér·dûn a tonal Germanic conlang

old stuff: Цiски | Noattȯč | Tungōnis Vīdīnōs
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

My son and I were shoveling thick, wet heavy snow, which incidentally means 'Halleluyah, another day off tomorrow!' [:D] :mrgreen:

We heard something outside that I haven't heard in a long time: Snow Thunder!

The third time we heard it, my Son saw a flash leap among the clouds.

Usually in Tirga, Thunder and Lightning are strictly a Rain Phenomenon. It is the handiwork of the Snifir, lycanthropic deities who are forging their lightning-bolts in their eternal battle with Gnashkar of the One Hundred Heads. Normally, the Snifir (a.k.a. Gorvolloji) are three in number: Meqdod, the Flame-Tamer, Lazuul, the Earth-Trembler, and Backowight the Bolt-Wielder. A few years ago, my Son added a fourth, Guardian of Ice. But we didn't hit upon a name, just an epithet: Guardian of Erse Mafaboa: the Lake of Souls' Tears.

Until today: Snaiwiþeiƕo or Floððer-Thunderer.

Gawd I [<3] :got: !

https://goo.gl/images/Y28MPk

https://goo.gl/images/GL13YT

https://goo.gl/images/PjqW59

https://goo.gl/images/8H3p4N
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox »

I have finally sorted out Bàsupan's TAM system and case marking, which took much longer than it should have, Goɂǎngkθadov's derivational morphology has been worked out(for the most part), i've been experimenting with naming systems in some of my conlangs, and two of my conlangs finally have names.
:con: Gândölansch (Gondolan)Feongkrwe (Feongrkean)Tamhanddön (Tamanthon)Θανηλοξαμαψⱶ (Thanelotic)Yônjcerth (Yaponese)Ba̧supan (Basupan)Mùthoķán (Mothaucian) :con:
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

Three so far unnamed branches of my Hesperic language family now have names - Puranian (in France), Durian (in the Iberian Peninsula), and Padivian (in Italy).
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

Though I am still working on Pelsodian, I've also been going off on a tangent, compiling all the features I think might work on a highly fusional romance conlang that don't work for Pelso. One of those features included the deletion of pretonic vowels*, which lead to a whole host of other changes, including fixing stress on the initial syllable and some interesting new consonant clusters. Given the similarities with Czech I decided this would be a rom-lang spoken in Bohemia, and includes the additional changes:

-pro drop morphology
-/"ɛ/ > /ie/ > /i/
-/"ɔ/ > /uo/ > /u/ (written ů)
-prothetic /v/ before back vowels and /j/ before front vowels.
-negative particle from Latin; "ne" that can cliticize to verbs.
-syllabic liquids (likewise also formed from vowel deletion)

I'm more interested in this idea than my Hungarian romlang right now, since it has steam and Pelso doesn't unfortunately.

*brought up this idea before but didn't continue it further until now.
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

The other day I was thinking about the adultcentrism in English's animal names. "Dog" can either mean any dog, or it can mean an adult dog, as opposed to a puppy. When contrasting "puppy" with the adult form of the animal, you have to use "dog", even though puppies can also be dogs too, according to another use of the word. We have special words for males, special words for females, special words for the young of an animal, sometimes even different words for boys and girls (like cockerel vs. pullet) or little boys and little girls (like colt vs. filly) but not special words for the adult form of an animal.

I decided Kankonian will do this differently from English. Kankonian now has a suffix -okh for adult animals. For instance, I have the word karaph, meaning "dog". I also have karaphi*, meaning "puppy". Now I have as well karaphokh, meaning "dog (adult dog, as opposed to a puppy)".
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

Khemehekis wrote: 15 Mar 2018 06:40 adultcentrism
Is that even a word?

I think your idea is pretty cool and could easily arise from historical augmentatives - especially for species held as pets. It might be less likely for wild species where humans mainly interact with adult specimens, I think.
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

I've derived Barqi from Proto-Uralic and Proto-Germanic, and my conlanguage family Vtayn-Mhilva.

So I still don't know what it will be.
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

gestaltist wrote: 15 Mar 2018 10:36
Khemehekis wrote: 15 Mar 2018 06:40 adultcentrism
Is that even a word?
Yep.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adultcentrism
I think your idea is pretty cool and could easily arise from historical augmentatives - especially for species held as pets. It might be less likely for wild species where humans mainly interact with adult specimens, I think.
Thanks. I'll probably say that -okh started out as an augmentative of some sort. Although Kankonian has -i*, it doesn't have much diminution nor augmentation in the way of affixes. Maybe I'll say it used to have general augmentative and diminutive suffixes, and they ceased to be productive but survived in some words.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

I feel as if I understand PIE morphology more every time I read about it. I understand the verbal system better now than I did last week, and I understood it better last week than I did when I last worked on my conlang. I'm having to amend my conlang the more I understand PIE's complexity.
Last edited by KaiTheHomoSapien on 18 Mar 2018 17:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

I added griuskant features onto the CALS website to be analysed, as far as I know it.

It scored 66% on conlang averageness, which means it more likely resembles your typical boring normal standard conlang. Woo~
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox »

I've completely redone Bàsupan noun forms, and am doing the same with verbs. I've also decided to have adjectives instead of using verbs.
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

I've probably flip flopped on adding gender to Pelsodian (or Castellian or whichever shall it be named) so many times before, but I think I have a good idea on how to execute it.

Using Creyeditor's idea, I've decided that gender would be perserved, but marked only on the definite article. The one exception is in the accusative case, where there is no definite article: instead a final -a (unstressed: [ə]) marks the feminine gender, and the preposition a marks the case.

ła cenj
the-F dog

but

a cenja
to (the) dog.F

indefinite forms are simply using the indefinite article, no preposition or anything necessary really.

una cenj
(to) the-F dog

I imagine though in practice this is omitted often when unnecessary... you could get by saying just "cenj" after the verb in the DO...no need to mark (in)definiteness there.

So what influences do we see here affecting this romlang? German (gender marking on article), Slavic (omission of article), and Hungarian/Turkish (how the accusative is marked).
My Blog

loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

AFAICT all romlangs mark gender in articles so that's not really surprising. Marking gender only in articles is a more interesting development. In my opinion marking gender only in articles would make the articles less likely to be dropped, due to having more semantic load. Like for instance vernacular Brazilian Portuguese articles, the only place where number is marked, which are retained in all environments i can think of.
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

loglorn wrote: 21 Mar 2018 18:15 AFAICT all romlangs mark gender in articles so that's not really surprising. Marking gender only in articles is a more interesting development. In my opinion marking gender only in articles would make the articles less likely to be dropped, due to having more semantic load. Like for instance vernacular Brazilian Portuguese articles, the only place where number is marked, which are retained in all environments i can think of.
Hmm. Then maybe I don't want articles given the areal influences. Of course I could say the same thing about gender (it's in slavic languages, but not Hungarian and probably not Avar). Back to the drawing board for now.
My Blog

Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

Added myself with a general fiction novel onto the frathwiki page.

This brings the total to 7 griuskant publications now.