What did you accomplish today? [2011–2019]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
ixals
sinic
sinic

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by ixals »

eldin raigmore wrote: 11 May 2018 03:48“Orthography” of a language is whatever script is “native” to that language. I didn’t see you propose one yet. Did I just miss it?
That's why I was asking, was a bit confused because there was nothing written down about the orthography in that screenshot [:D]
Ælfwine wrote: 11 May 2018 05:03 The Romanization.

"Blahblahblahblahblah"

Very interesting romanization. What does <hb> stand for?
Oh my, how did I not get that joke? [xD]
Native: :deu:
Learning: :gbr:, :chn:, :tur:, :fra:

Zhér·dûn a tonal Germanic conlang

old stuff: Цiски | Noattȯč | Tungōnis Vīdīnōs
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

In developing my romance language I realized the need to also recreate what kind of slavic language that the Avars probably spoke as a lingua franca. As it turns out, the best possible way for me to preserve a romance language in western Hungary was to preserve the slavonic speakers as well, perhaps by butterflying away the Hungarians to some extent and increasing Braslav's control of the region into its own unique political entity. This gives me the idea to toy with a slavic language in the area similar to ixal's Cissian, though in the west of Hungary instead of the east and including parts of Croatian Slavonia. I believe it would have a mixture of Czech, Slovene and Croatian characteristics, though I am not seriously pursuing it now but rather developing parts of it as I develop *Castellianu.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lower_P ... h_century)
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

It took more than twenty years, but Kankonian now has a word for "lexicostatistics": bakashakpraisiya.
Very interesting romanization. What does <hb> stand for?
It's inspired by Teonaht, and represents /β/.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
alynnidalar
greek
greek

Post by alynnidalar »

I've been continuing my phonological analysis of Old Tirina, and after a lot of faffing about in a spreadsheet, here are some conclusions I've come to:

Theoretically, Old Tirina has geminated consonants. Practically, there are so few words that include them that they might as well not exist. I am giving serious thought to doing away with them for future words.

I treat Old Tirina as if it doesn't have diphthongs, but realistically, it absolutely does. In particular, it has a bunch of Və vowel sequences that surely must be the result of some kind of vowel breaking or reduction in the past. I need to revamp the sound changes to Modern Tirina to handle these in a more interesting (and more consistent) way. There's not a ton of long vowels in Old Tirina either, and I wonder if I can connect these two.

I need to use the glottal stop more frequently and more interestingly.

Consonant clusters make no sense. There's /tr kr gr/ but no /pr br dr/? Yet there's also /mr/? I need to figure out what clusters really are permissible. While I'm on the subject, I need to figure out where Modern Tirina clusters came from (where only /pr mr fr/ are acceptable). Syllable-final clusters are also weird: it appears basically any rC is valid, but I also have a bunch of /nd/ plus one instance of /ʃt/. Are any other ʃC clusters valid? What about nC?

It appears bilabial consonants can't appear in a syllable coda, with the exception of /m/. Why is /m/ an exception? I'll probably leave this as an irregularity and not try to explain it, as it's quite common in OT.

By far the most common syllable is /a/. (70 occurrences in my OT lexicon! Next most common was /i/ at 36.) A solid quarter of syllables had no onset and 55% had no coda. Of syllables with onsets, the most common were /d s g/. Of syllables with codas, the most common were /n m r/. Weirdly enough, the most common syllable with both an onset and a coda is not /dan/, which occurred just once in my data, but /ben/.

Finally, you probably should have an excuse prepared when a coworker stops by your desk and asks what on earth you're working on, as "I'm doing phonological analysis of a fictional language" isn't likely to yield a good response. I went with "character frequency stuff", myself.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

alynnidalar wrote: 15 May 2018 23:42 Theoretically, Old Tirina has geminated consonants. Practically, there are so few words that include them that they might as well not exist. I am giving serious thought to doing away with them for future words.
I'd keep them, declaring them a relictual feature or only coming from borrowings or something like this.
It appears bilabial consonants can't appear in a syllable coda, with the exception of /m/. Why is /m/ an exception? I'll probably leave this as an irregularity and not try to explain it, as it's quite common in OT.
Can it be due to assimilation?
Finally, you probably should have an excuse prepared when a coworker stops by your desk and asks what on earth you're working on, as "I'm doing phonological analysis of a fictional language" isn't likely to yield a good response. I went with "character frequency stuff", myself.
I feel your pain. [:'(]
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Today I finished working with an artist who made a series of pictures of people from The World. Five queens of various countries in the Eastlands.

Certainly blows my poor pen & pencil sketches out of the proverbial water!
alynnidalar
greek
greek

Post by alynnidalar »

Oh, very cool! I hope we get to see these pictures!
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

elemtilas wrote: 16 May 2018 23:47 Today I finished working with an artist who made a series of pictures of people from The World. Five queens of various countries in the Eastlands.

Will you be posting them? There's hoping!
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

gestaltist wrote: 17 May 2018 11:23
elemtilas wrote: 16 May 2018 23:47 Today I finished working with an artist who made a series of pictures of people from The World. Five queens of various countries in the Eastlands.

alynnidalar wrote:Oh, very cool! I hope we get to see these pictures!
By and by, yes! They're way too good to pass up on. It is a series of five great Queens of the Eastlands. Not necessarily contemporaneous, but Westmarche, Auntimoany, Ruadram, Saraqûn, and Demariê are the subjects of this series.

I will have to work on their biographies, though, before making them public.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

elemtilas wrote: 17 May 2018 12:42
gestaltist wrote: 17 May 2018 11:23

alynnidalar wrote:Oh, very cool! I hope we get to see these pictures!
By and by, yes! They're way too good to pass up on. It is a series of five great Queens of the Eastlands. Not necessarily contemporaneous, but Westmarche, Auntimoany, Ruadram, Saraqûn, and Demariê are the subjects of this series.

I will have to work on their biographies, though, before making them public.
Sounds toe-tappingly good!

Cannot wait to see, though I am partial to those drawingsin el estilo elemtilesco
:mrgreen:
Fluffy8x
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Fluffy8x »

Not strictly a today thing, but a few days ago, I started working on my own sound change applier. It has basic features (though it works quite differently from other sound change appliers), but it might be lacking in more advanced stuff. I do plan on adding features needed to express the sound changes from Middle Rymakonian to Modern Rymakonian.

Anything this seems to be missing that I didn't already list in the details?
The creator of ŋarâþ crîþ v9.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Lambuzhao wrote: 17 May 2018 15:31Sounds toe-tappingly good!
I think so! I am very excited about how well all the images came out!

This will be the fourth person who I've gotten World related artwork from thus far. I'm pleased thus far with all of them, but this is the first time I've actually done a proper commission with. Even just the proposals, background information, rough sketches and so forth amounts to about a twenty-five page document!
Cannot wait to see, though I am partial to those drawings in el estilo elemtilesco
Well, I appreciate the compliment! Though I do wonder who your optometrist is! [:P]
masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako »

Today I reached 311 glyphs with Omyatloko.
g

o

n

e
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Not today, but yesterday, I added 101 new Kankonian words.

Some important concepts Kankonian now has words for:

zhoub: to vibrate (of a cellphone)
dmosekh: rotunda
asikhio: rota, roster, schedule (of employees)
Karibeyik: Caribbean (from the Terran name, obviously)
paimostambos: cybersecurity (from PAIMO, the Lehola Galaxy's equivalent of the Internet + stambos, security)
paimokhafir: cyberattack (from PAIMO + khafir, which means knife but by extension means breach)
stilbiy: sacred ibis
tekphul: resolution (number of pixels in an area) (from a language of Keitel)
shuyesgasi and shuyesovai: both meaning to look down on (to watch from Heaven) (shuyes, across + gasi, to look at or ovai, to watch -- the idea is that a person is being looked at from across a different dimension)
shwinz: definition (visual clarity)
shigwangpaimo*esukoi or its initialism shekh pop *eti: virtual private network, VPN (from shigwang, private + PAIMO + *esukoi, network)
obsulm: to have no way of knowing
zhvedur: to till (the land)
helloutek: rideshare; to rideshare (from hel, with + loutek, to ride (as a passenger))
posothoseria or poso: staph infection (from posothos, staphylococcus + -eria, suffix to make an abstract noun)
nathab: to dull the senses; dulling of the senses
pte*gis: drill bit
pureyi*ahemos or its initialism pop it: chronic fatigue syndrome (from pure, always + i*ahem, tired + -os, -ness)
hwemli: chief financial officer, CFO (from Palang: hwém, finance + , head, leader)
eshvukhel: grey matter (from Ciladian: esh, grey + bhukhel, brain)
ruvvukhel: white matter (from Ciladian: rubh, white + bhukhel)
shid: by choice (related to shed (choice) since antiquity)
khitzit: flintlock
pumutoi: prenup (from Palang: púm, before + ùtoi, marriage)
kehwidza, escolar, ex-lax fish, snake mackerel, waloo (Lepidocybium flavobrunneum)
geriy: gempylid
shmuwilin: statin
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Lambuzhao wrote: 29 Mar 2018 12:45 Why not just use /hal/ to emphasize that each person has a house?

E.G.

Is shahemden shakti na Zhoya mui Vrandi
1s go_down_to-PST house of Zhoya and Vrandi
I went down to Zhoya and Vrandi's house.
(They both own the same house which I visited)

BUT

Is shahemden shakti nahal Zhoya mui Vrandi.
1s go_down_to-PST house of=each Zhoya and Vrandi
I went down to Zhoya and Vrandi's houses.
(I visited the houses of each of them)
:?: :wat: :?:

Or mebbe the other way around, since /hal/ is a root that seems to mean 'every' or 'all' (collective) , yet you have that little idiomatic usage where is can mean "each"

…Or mebbe not.
[:3]
Ah, you are one of the best Kankonian scholars around, Lambuzhao.

Sharon palaten hal telemis.
Sharon tap_on_the_shoulder-PST each student
Sharon tapped each student on the shoulder.

The usual word for "each" is khile (which incidentally, also means "both").

Khile *othul anas raku.
each rabbit have-PRS carrot
Each rabbit has a carrot.

And khile can even disambiguate hali:

Hali ziyen bridretzen mui bridrizen is, khile in.
every problem nag_at-PST and nag_at-PST 1s each one
Every problem nagged at me, each in its own way.

After reviewing the root -hal- in my grammar, I think I'll just go with shaktas na Zhoya mui Vrandi. Unless you want to start collaborating with me on the Kankonian language and Lehola Galaxy.
♂♥♂♀

felipesnark
sinic
sinic

Post by felipesnark »

I tweaked Shonkasika's personal endings for verbs:
Spoiler:
<th> is /θ/, <î> /ɪ/, and <x> /ks/
The mediopassive endings usually co-occur with another affix for voice, like passive -the, middle/reflexive -da, and reciprocal -du.
Visit my website for my blogs and information on my conlangs: http://grwilliams.net/ It's a work in progress!
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

After, what, three years? After three years, Alál finally has properly-derived axis markers, which have always been some of the most important derivational (and sometimes inflectional, since they also mark tense) morphemes of the verb. I've waffled between different sets for a while now, but this might be the final version. The Ps might change, because right now P+ "near" and R+ "in the future" are near-homophonous, but I kind of like that. Aside from verbs of motion, all the X/Y/Z/C/P ones are lexicalized anyhow, so there's not going to be much of a chance for them to contrast.

The capital Es should actually be lowercase, oops. They stand for "ego"; they're a bit of a relic in my notation from back when everything had to be from the speaker's perspective - now the referent (if there is one - where these have become lexicalized / parts of bipartite verb stems, there might no longer be any deictic thing going on) can be almost anything given the right context. This is missing the E axis, which indicates event time relative to reference time (also imperatives and optatives), but it's a defective part of the paradigm and I'm still unsure whether it's going to pattern with the rest of them. Right now, I'm just glad to have a diachronic explanation for them (they're from old cliticized prepositional phrases) and a proper reference chart.

Huh. PPs cliticizing and turning into mostly-unproductive elements of what could be considered bipartite verb roots. Looks like Alál's roots in Navajo Language Academy workshops are showing themselves again. Give it a few hundred years to lose its already-limited, partially-lexicalized object incorporation, and we'll get a proper set of thematic affixes, straight out of Young and Morgan.
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Lambuzhao wrote: 17 May 2018 15:31Sounds toe-tappingly good!

Cannot wait to see, though I am partial to those drawingsin el estilo elemtilesco
First one done!

http://world.conlang.org/index.php?titl ... e_Willunno
cedh
MVP
MVP

Post by cedh »

kiwikami wrote: 29 May 2018 22:20 After, what, three years? After three years, Alál finally has properly-derived axis markers, which have always been some of the most important derivational (and sometimes inflectional, since they also mark tense) morphemes of the verb.
This looks and sounds interesting. What do the axis markers do? What do the abbreviations X/Y/Z/C/P/R stand for? What's the difference between + and -, or between -E and E-?
Clio
sinic
sinic

Post by Clio »

Numerals 1-10 in an Indo-European language: ênas dǎ trîs četáres pą̂če svís septę̂ ostû ňévų ďézę
Niûro nCora
Getic: longum Getico murmur in ore fuit
scratchpad