What did you accomplish today? [2011–2019]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by eldin raigmore »

bbbourq wrote: 27 Jan 2019 20:49 .... I started developing my second conlang, Dhakhsh [ðæxʃ], an analytic, SOV language that is written with a RTL, vertical script. You can see my progress here. ....
Every time I try, Twitter tells me “Something went wrong. Try again.”
bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by bbbourq »

eldin raigmore wrote: 28 Jan 2019 23:32Every time I try, Twitter tells me “Something went wrong. Try again.”
Interesting. Try this: Go to my Twitter profile and look through my tweets. You will see both Lortho and Dhakhsh entries. That should solve the issue.
https://lortho.conlang.org

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

bbbourq wrote: 29 Jan 2019 00:51
eldin raigmore wrote: 28 Jan 2019 23:32Every time I try, Twitter tells me “Something went wrong. Try again.”
Interesting. Try this: Go to my Twitter profile and look through my tweets. You will see both Lortho and Dhakhsh entries. That should solve the issue.
Yes! Impressive!
My father was a calligrapher, and my brother is one too.
(I’m not. ☹️)
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Today I added the following entries to the Landau Core Vocabulary under Verbs of Physical Aggression:

to blind (temporarily)
to blind (permanently)

Adding those made me think of the Oasis song "Wonderwall", which brought to mind the line "The fire in your heart is out". I then added these:

to put out, to extinguish (a cigarette)
to put out, to extinguish (a match)
to put out, to extinguish (a fire)

I've had "to light, to ignite" for these three situations in the LCV for several years now. I'm amazed it took so long before I added the opposite of the concept.

I also added a word to the Foods section in Part V:

muffin

Such an everyday food, and yet it's been missing for so long.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 90,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

Developed a tentative orthography for my Crim. Gothic:

Aa – Aа
Bb – Бб
Dd – Дд
Ee – Ээ
Ff – Фф
Gg – Гг
Hh – Һһ (loanwords only)
Ii – Ии
Kk – Кк
Ll – Лл
Mm – Мм
Nn – Нн
Oo – Оо
Pp – Пп
Rr – Рр
Ss – Сс
Tt – Тт
Uu/Ww – Уу
Vv – Вв
Zz – Зз
Þþ – Ѳѳ

Long vowels and consonants are doubled (so "brenna" is <брэнна>).

Misc:
ch – Хх
sch – Шш
ja – я
jo – ё
ju – ю

ѳа уорд "the word"
скютэн or шютэн "to shoot"

Subject to change, of course. I may need a consistent way to represent schwa.
Last edited by Ælfwine on 29 Jan 2019 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Oh cool, I've never seen a Germanic language written with the Cyrillic alphabet before!
♂♥♂♀

Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

Thought up a little parable/exercise to work on during my upcoming vacation,,,
Spoiler:
Ahagat is a culture hero representing urban life.
'Boaati is a culture hero representing nomadism.

the Parable of Superiority:
On the calendar, there are days of the Pig and days of the Boar. For, it is known and it is held, that when a pig goes feral, it becomes a boar.

On the calendar, there are days of the Horse and days of the Camel. For, it is held, that when a horse goes feral, it becomes a camel.

(there are other day-groups; another time)

Ahagat asserted that the horse is superior to the camel. He used only spoken words to do so.

'Boaati stated that Ahagat was misinformed. 'Boaati held up The Transformations, about the changes from feral to unferal and unferal to feral.

Ahagat smiled and pointed to 'Boaati's essay. "What is this?" He asked this of the essay written in Ahagat's script.

Now 'Boaati smile and held out his copy of On Learning. "What is this?" he asked of the book which tells of angelic instruction to humans, a book written in Ahagat's script.
That is the End of the Parable Of Superiority.

conlang notes:
* "it is known" and "it is held" are evidentials which tag along after the If-Then Causality modifier.
* "days of the ___" are noun phrases which have a single cartouche-word in the script.
* "to do so" is a single word(?)
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

BEFORE:

The connective "id" is used to mean that an action is "done to" something. It is used after a gerund to connect it to its object:

Adhashar id goshaniya en hethet stoern.
clean done_to toilet PST task difficult
Cleaning the toilet was a difficult task.

Ovai id zikheth id ventas dyu meyez hazias ad tzareimin is.
watch done_to shoot done_to animal-PL by person-PL make-PRS to angry 1s
Watching people shoot animals makes me angry.

NEW:

Passive object-phrases like the latter example must have a verb. Instead of "seeing him happy", say "seeing him be happy":

Em id e gweimo dyu ar soerzas is.
see done_to BE sad by 2s pain-PRS 1s
Seeing you sad pains me.

(Note that a second "id" is not required after the verb "e".)
♂♥♂♀

Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

Khemehekis wrote: 29 Jan 2019 08:31 Oh cool, I've never seen a Germanic language written with the Cyrillic alphabet before!
Yes. I figured the historical background of the language called for it. Furthermore, upon accessing Stearn's work, who proposed a phonology for Crimean Gothic, I've taken it and see if I could introduce a Cyrillic spelling into it.

The vowels:

/i iː u uː/ <и ии у уу>
/e eː ə o oː/ <э ээ ? о оо>
/a (aː)/ <а аа>

The corpus does not have /aː/ as a phoneme, but nonetheless I've included it as I believe loanwords such as vāzer [ˈvaː.zər], "market" from Middle Persian could reintroduce it. I am somewhat unsure how to cyrillicize schwa. Schwa only occurs in unstressed syllables, usually as the second syllable of a two syllable word.

The consonants:

/m n/ <м н>
/p b t d k (g)/ <п б т д к ґ>
/f v θ s (z) ʃ x ɣ/ <ф в ѳ с з ш х г>
/r l j/ <р л ?>

Per Stearns, CG did not have the phonemes /g/ or /z/. Much like Ukrainian, /g/ would be reintroduced into the language from Western European loanwords. I believe /z/ too, would be introduced through loanwords like zebre [ˈze.brə], though its possible it may not have the functional load required.

The status of /j/ is uncertain, Stearns says the language likely had it as a phoneme, but it doesn't appear anywhere in the corpus (with his alterations.)
My Blog

Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

Ælfwine wrote: 11 Feb 2019 04:22I am somewhat unsure how to cyrillicize schwa. Schwa only occurs in unstressed syllables, usually as the second syllable of a two syllable word.
You have a couple of choices. You could follow the Circassian example and use Yery <ы>, or you could follow the examples set by some Uralic languages like Komi and use ӧ. Alternatively schwa is available as a letter in Cyrillic.
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Ælfwine wrote: 11 Feb 2019 04:22 Crimean Gothic
Always nice to see something Gothic-based. I like the phonology so far.
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Post by LinguistCat »

While on a family trip, I found some hentaigana that I could use for Nyango to write certain sounds I wanted to derive from Old Japanese and Middle Japanese. Just want to double check that there aren't ones I like more if I get the chance (could only see some hentaigana symbols that I would have been interested in.)
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

shimobaatar wrote: 11 Feb 2019 13:52
Ælfwine wrote: 11 Feb 2019 04:22 Crimean Gothic
Always nice to see something Gothic-based. I like the phonology so far.
Thank you!
Frislander wrote: 11 Feb 2019 12:32
Ælfwine wrote: 11 Feb 2019 04:22I am somewhat unsure how to cyrillicize schwa. Schwa only occurs in unstressed syllables, usually as the second syllable of a two syllable word.
You have a couple of choices. You could follow the Circassian example and use Yery <ы>, or you could follow the examples set by some Uralic languages like Komi and use ӧ. Alternatively schwa is available as a letter in Cyrillic.
I have gone with the schwa for now, however, it doesn't seem to correlate to schwa in some of the languages that use it.

I think I might add two additional phonemes, /ø/ and /y/ from /eu/ and /iu/ respectively. They'll be romanized as <ö> and <ü> respectively, although I need cyrillic letters for them too

beudaną > böden (German bieten)
biudizi > büdize? (c.f. dorbize?)

:wat:
My Blog

Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I expanded the demonstrative pronouns, now they behave even more like personal pronouns:
https://www.frathwiki.com/Vrkhazhian#De ... e_Pronouns

ṣəhuñwinak šuddəm.
[sʼəɦuŋwinɑk çudːəm]
DEM.PROX-DIR-MASC-PL-GEN ACT.PRES-speak.to\ACT-PL
These ones must speak to each other.

šuñwin tšada vərxažšəya šuddəm.
[çuŋwin tçɑdɑ βərxɑçːəjɑ çudːəm]
2m.NOM-DIR-PL ACC-mouth-FEM.SG vrkhazhian-ADJ-FEM.SG ACT.PRES-speak\ACT-PL
You all must speak Vrkhazhian.
Last edited by Ahzoh on 13 Feb 2019 19:29, edited 3 times in total.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

Ælfwine wrote: 13 Feb 2019 18:55
I have gone with the schwa for now, however, it doesn't seem to correlate to schwa in some of the languages that use it.

I think I might add two additional phonemes, /ø/ and /y/ from /eu/ and /iu/ respectively. They'll be romanized as <ö> and <ü> respectively, although I need cyrillic letters for them too

I've also considered that and my usual choice for schwa is the hard sign <ъ>, which is used in South-Slavic. Cyrillic letters are much better for non-front unrounded vowels than the Romance ones.

For Cyrillic /ø/ and /y/, <ÿ> and <ö> are the simple solution.
If you want to get ancient, Cyrillic ypsilon <ѵ> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izhitsa could be used for /y/.
You can also use ligatures, say <ıy> and <ıo> or <ю> respectively.
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

Omzinesý wrote: 13 Feb 2019 19:25
Ælfwine wrote: 13 Feb 2019 18:55

I've also considered that and my usual choice for schwa is the hard sign <ъ>, which is used in South-Slavic. Cyrillic letters are much better for non-front unrounded vowels than the Romance ones.

For Cyrillic /ø/ and /y/, <ÿ> and <ö> are the simple solution.
If you want to get ancient, Cyrillic ypsilon <ѵ> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izhitsa could be used for /y/.
You can also use ligatures, say <ıy> and <ıo> or <ю> respectively.
For /ø/ I was thinking of the barred <ө>, but this might be too close to fita <ѳ>. Crimean Tatar, my closest neighbor, uses <ё> and <ю> respectively, which might fit better with the etymology.
My Blog

Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

during my vacation of the last few days, I realized a major misunderstanding I'd been laboring under...

I had thought Gothic was a Germanic language, and compared its known words to various Germanic words; and had toyed with having a Welsh-like initial mutation.

...and just recently, I learned (Nat Geo History magazines) that Gothic is on the Celtic branch of IE, not the Germanic.

*facepalms*
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

Keenir wrote: 13 Feb 2019 23:36 during my vacation of the last few days, I realized a major misunderstanding I'd been laboring under...

I had thought Gothic was a Germanic language, and compared its known words to various Germanic words; and had toyed with having a Welsh-like initial mutation.

...and just recently, I learned (Nat Geo History magazines) that Gothic is on the Celtic branch of IE, not the Germanic.

*facepalms*
I've never heard of a "Welsh-like initial mutation" in Gothic.

That does sound silly, regardless.
My Blog

Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

Ælfwine wrote: 13 Feb 2019 23:48
Keenir wrote: 13 Feb 2019 23:36 during my vacation of the last few days, I realized a major misunderstanding I'd been laboring under...

*facepalms*
I've never heard of a "Welsh-like initial mutation" in Gothic.

That does sound silly, regardless.
sorry, I meant that was something I had thought to add on, as part of my version/continuation of Gothic.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

I am a bit confused. Gothic is an East Germanic language. It is not a Celtic language. Or is the facepalm because Nat Geo History magazine did such an obvious mistake.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]