What did you accomplish today?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Omzinesý »

I at last completed the cat and fish story!
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
Informer
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Informer »

I've finally done my first translation ("All your demands will be met") since yesterday I finished writing a name for my language, (Shinmavu /ʃɪnmevu/) and making the new words for it took much longer than I had expected since I had to come up with my system of tenses (I have past, present, future, and I made a suffix to add for continuous) and figuring out cases in my language is still a puzzle for me [:'(]. I'm sure it'll get easier with time though.
In case you haven't realized, I have no clue what I'm doing.
VaptuantaDoi
roman
roman

Post by VaptuantaDoi »

I now have a provisional verb slot template for Ai

Code: Select all

⋕===========================================================================================================================⋕
ǁ                                                       W   O   R   D                                                       ǁ
⋕===========================================================================================================================⋕

⋕===============‡============‡==============⋕  ⋕====================================⋕  ⋕========‡============‡==============⋕
ǁ               |            |              ǁ  ǁ              S T E M               ǁ  ǁ        |            |              ǁ
ǁ     TAM 1     | Evidential |  Direction   ǁ  ⧺––––––––––––+––––––+––––––––––––––––⧺  ǁ Stem 2 |   TAM 2    |  Illocution  ǁ
ǁ               |            |              ǁ  ǁ  Valency   | ROOT |    Aspect 1    ǁ  ǁ        |            |              ǁ
⧺–––––––––––––––+––––––––––––+––––––––––––––⧺  ⧺––––––––––––+––––––+––––––––––––––––⧺  ⧺––––––––+––––––––––––+––––––––––––––⧺
ǁ transform dö- | visual á-  | down bè-     ǁ  ǁ recip. ha- |  V   | ipfv. -bá~-dúa ǁ  ǁ   V    | tel. -hodö | exclam. -é   ǁ
ǁ until kode-   |            | up ü-        ǁ  ǁ caus. e-   |  A   | pfv. -i~-dí    ǁ  ǁ   A    | atel. -ade | cert. -ia    ǁ
ǁ perf. bái-    |            | dnstream ei- ǁ  ǁ appl. be-  |  R   | ipfv.sbj. -hói ǁ  ǁ   R    | fut. -e    | imper. -de   ǁ
ǁ opt. èko-     |            | upstream úi- ǁ  ǁ plact. ko- |  I   | pfv.sbj. -hö   ǁ  ǁ   I    | past -do   | prohib. -béi ǁ
ǁ emph. be-     |            | allative kö- ǁ  ǁ            |  O   |                ǁ  ǁ   O    | hab. -kade | polar q. -bö ǁ
ǁ               |            |              ǁ  ǁ            |  U   |                ǁ  ǁ   U    |            | info q. -se  ǁ
ǁ               |            |              ǁ  ǁ            |  S   |                ǁ  ǁ   S    |            | neg. -bei    ǁ
ǁ               |            |              ǁ  ǁ            |      |                ǁ  ǁ        |            | emph. -bòde  ǁ
⋕===============‡============‡==============⋕  ⋕============‡======‡================⋕  ⋕========‡============‡==============⋕
Technically about a quarter of a million possible permutations, plus incorporated SVCs which would bump the number up to like 20 billion, but some affix combos are lexicalised and others are prohibited.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Created and named a bunch of rivers, archipelagos, and islands. Got 168 299 new Kankonian words out of it.
Last edited by Khemehekis on 11 Mar 2024 05:56, edited 1 time in total.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 90,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Visions1
greek
greek

Post by Visions1 »

Started working on language spread and diachronics in a new project (no I have not abandoned the Swang, I'm just working on diachronics).
Nel Fie
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Nel Fie »

After a bunch of additional work, I have a decently fleshed out system for testing syllables in my sound changer. Still some debugging and feature-adding to do, but tests such as:

<s> or <{s,z}> or <[+Fricative]>

for /kist./

will return "True" because of the /s/ (with "< >" being markers for "this syllable contains").

Next up is implementing a suffix/prefix distinction for diacritics. It's not really essential, but I want the user to be able to type things as close as possible to the usual, and since stress markers are generally prefixed to the syllable (e.g. /ˈkist.ˌal/), I need to include that. After that, more testing, detailling and implementing into the main comparison loop.
:deu: Native (Swabian) | :fra: Native (Belgian) | :eng: Fluent | :rus: Beginner
DeviantArt | YouTube | Tumblr
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I've been adding a lot of names for human peoples/ethnic groups/tribes to Kankonian's lexicon lately, and to balance out all the Earth-centric culture words (I'm about to receive a huge list of English words through email), I've decided to flesh out the names of the languages that are attested on Kankonia -- mostly languages once spoken -- and fit them in their phyla and branches.

https://khemehekis.angelfire.com/langtax.htm

I got 710 new Kankonian words for peoples, languages, and language branches (the -old words). Most of these are just a name, a language phylum (and branch), and a geographical placement of the tribe who speaks them, plus a hint at the phonology of the language from the name. Two of these Leholangs, Kankonian and Ciladian, have pages on my computer (although Ciladian isn't complete enough yet for me to upload the page). Povoian and Phesandran have a phonology (and Povoian an alphabet), with a lot of words created to be borrowed into Kankonian (and LIE). A number of other conlangs, such as Traptos and Seisomiv, have had the cultures who spoke them described.

Kankonian's lexicon size passed the 86,000 mark while I was counting all these new words. Word #86,000 was Grassipetla, a tribe of Kupulshas.
♂♥♂♀

Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Khemehekis wrote: 13 Mar 2024 20:19 Kankonian's lexicon size passed the 86,000 mark while I was counting all these new words. Word #86,000 was Grassipetla, a tribe of Kupulshas.
Woohoo! Ever onwards you climb!

Do you have a list all in one place of each of your ’000 words?
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Ruykkarraber family Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra Makihip-ŋAħual family Abisj
my garbage

she/her
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Arayaz wrote: 13 Mar 2024 20:30
Khemehekis wrote: 13 Mar 2024 20:19 Kankonian's lexicon size passed the 86,000 mark while I was counting all these new words. Word #86,000 was Grassipetla, a tribe of Kupulshas.
Woohoo! Ever onwards you climb!
Yeah. [:D]
I have an English-Kankonian spreadsheet file, including the words already entered in my Notepad files (created in 2003 or earlier) plus the words in my newkankonian spreadsheet file -- all alphabetized by English word. The last time I recalibrated that list was when Kankonian had 80k words -- I'll need to do an 86k list soon. Because of the fact that many Kankonian words have a lot of English synonyms, the polysemy of many Kankonian words, and the fact that idioms are listed with colons at a headword (but not considered separate words), there are over 110,000 lines in this spreadsheet file -- way over 80,000 lines.
♂♥♂♀

Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Khemehekis wrote: 13 Mar 2024 20:40
I have an English-Kankonian spreadsheet file, including the words already entered in my Notepad files (created in 2003 or earlier) plus the words in my newkankonian spreadsheet file -- all alphabetized by English word. The last time I recalibrated that list was when Kankonian had 80k words -- I'll need to do an 86k list soon. Because of the fact that many Kankonian words have a lot of English synonyms, the polysemy of many Kankonian words, and the fact that idioms are listed with colons at a headword (but not considered separate words), there are over 110,000 lines in this spreadsheet file -- way over 80,000 lines.
What I meant was, what was your 1000th word? Your 2000th? Your 3000th? I would expect they would have sentimental significance, and it'd be fun to see what realms of meaning they all belong to, so I wondered if you kept a list.
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Ruykkarraber family Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra Makihip-ŋAħual family Abisj
my garbage

she/her
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

Lately I've liked how Play translates words that are simple in English by compounds of words that are simple in Play but often complex in English. For example, the word for species is žapapišaa, made up of

že "marry"
papi "kiss"
šaa "lilypad; social network"

Although this can be considered a lexical portmanteau, because the word I expect to use for "marry" outisde compounds is žapapi, using the "kiss" morpheme without changing the meaning, and that same morpheme can also form papišaa, a word that specifically means a social network (since the bare word is ambiguous).
Makapappi nauppakiba.
The wolf-sheep ate itself. (Play)
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Arayaz wrote: 13 Mar 2024 20:56 What I meant was, what was your 1000th word? Your 2000th? Your 3000th? I would expect they would have sentimental significance, and it'd be fun to see what realms of meaning they all belong to, so I wondered if you kept a list.
Oh. Well, I didn't know exactly how many words I had until I cointed and discovered I had exactly 20,553, but starting at 21,000, these are my thousand milestone words in Kankonian:

21,000 spaksa (dracaena)
22,000 bipeng (warhead)
23,000 kobaphasham (protectionism)
24,000 semer splen (hot read, lit. "light read")
25,000 inmeho (fanfic)
26,000 guos na vadudu ad spir (a snowball's chance in Hell, lit. "a mole's chance at flight")
27,000 sweorzfash (crafter)
28,000 hephewekid (airlock)
29,000 shillanan (to use as an example)
30,000 hozos na thashe (box jelly, lit. "cube of poison")
31,000 babazesit (jam band)
32,000 rentzini (scrutinous)
33,000 dzhambad (travesty, mockery)
34,000 waneyis (biofic, i.e. fictionalized biography)
35,000 pahworo (windflower, anemone)
36,000 dyuyagel (auric)
37,000 vropia (vropia, a bar that specializes in wines and sells many grape dishes)
38,000 Sumol (Symol, a planet in the solar system Yphni)
39,000 yahal nethrekazo (phantasmagoria, magic lantern. lit. "preternatural light")
40,000 biusa (vesicle)
41,000 peshrirgeriz (vise-like grip)
42,000 hugemi (mean, average, adj.)
43,000 khutukhnakhi (burseraceous)
44,000 koduleria (archives, archivalia)
45,000 wesperem (unknowable)
46,000 halkaraph (kennel club)
47,000 starak-tiviud (spoonbill (Plataneinae))
48,000 shilalsazar (to heroize; heroizaiton)
49,000 sasram (maritogram)
50,000 ashpiarb (telambulance, or teleporting ambulance)
51,000 ukhios (touchiness)
52,000 glaudzakes (riot gear)
53,000 dashangiz (radical acceptance)
54,000 randiyi (psycho-scientific, pertaining to the psychic sciences -- and no, this isn't an Easter egg; I was 16 when I created the word randi (psychic) and had never heard of The Amazing Randi)
55,000 bikhatila (office of khatila, a rank in the Kwemos Armed Forces)
56,000 blumiya (devil locks)
57,000 tetyebsham (sister language)
58,000 aristotelizh (Aristotelian)
59,000 omigwekhanauish (cocainism)
60,000 parkarsim (stroke of midnight)
61,000 fulashin (misdeed)
62,000 Ganimid (Ganymede)
63,000 khardetam (flinty -- of a wine)
64,000 Shoda (town in Tzeimowia, a coffee-growing region of the continent Hegheos)
65,000 kinliuzhowino (subdirectory)
66,000 Beili (city on Braon, Braon being a continent on Keitel)
67,000 shumephugidis (campeomancer, campeomancy being divination by caterpillars)
68,000 e*anoshurmfash (animal lover)
69,000 Konfushas (Confucianism)
70,000 gahetshik (megapixel)
71,000 seshemoyez (to unsay)
72,000 Omahah (Omaha)
73,000 Phurzenodonik (Kankonian geological epoch that makes up the late part of the Zenodonik)
74,000 tshitshiz (tjitjiz, a type of gigi, a gigi being the zesman bioswath of Farume's equivalent of a bug/insect)
75,000 lusa (lusa lotion, or suntan lotion made from the Shaleyan lusa lotion plant)
76,000 depor (dhepor, a type of tebhraka, tebhrakas being the class of animals that includes the bhur, a sapient species of supernovan (civilization whose home star has died) from a planet with red plants)
77,000 binastenyis (binastin user, binastin being a drug from a plant called the binasta)
78,000 oelkiu (flatwater)
79,000 smakhni (turnover filled with norpa (orange Povoian tapir cheese) and hokoka* (lard of the giant tapir))
80,000 oorwaskrazidopomi (capripoxviral)
81,000 audesidopen (metacommunication, in the sense of communicating about communication)
82,000 avagayis (parader)
83,000 spepiyeti (Rosenbergia rufolineata)
84,000 oelyateur (undecorated, in the sense of without medals)
85,000 gyameilios (skolioromanticism)
86,000 Grassipetla (a tribe of the continent Kupulshas or their language)
87,000 In Kutubi (the capital of Akaquma, a country on Shanu)
88,000 dedevfash (adjuster, as in a device to adjust)
89,000 Arsasid (Arsacid)
Last edited by Khemehekis on 23 Apr 2024 01:17, edited 1 time in total.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I added a bunch of islands, so I thought: Why not create a bunch of flightless rail species for them? And while I'm at it, a few flightless columbiforms too!

I checked my Kankonian dictionary spreadsheet, and I already had this word:

momaui (large, flightless mottled rail of Nolaata with a red beak) momaui

There's also the voerlic, a bird with a really big, fruit-stone-crushing beak that I created when I was 14. I just now realized that it's probably really a rail.

I then went on to create these words, and draw each of them (and the momaui and voerlic):

quonvas (light blue ail of Rail Island, with black beak and azure neck) kwonvas
tzumbodan (flightless indigo rail of Tzelan, with blue-and-black-striped beak) tzumbodan
flamingo rail (migratory hot pink rail, with orange beak with black tip) yatzumudtibang
vro:gis (blue rail of Ko:ming with long neck and brown beak, related to the red rail) vroergis
kugatl (brown flightless rail of Jitlian with red head and neck and long beige beak) kugatla
toubalos (flightless rail of Rail Island, white with black spots and black wings and beak) toubalos
abegogo (flightless rail of Rail Island, light blue with red cere and dark blue beak) abegogo
peacock rail (teal rail of Dumang, with peacock-like tail feathers and red beak) opuzhidtibang
litia (golden rail of Nakyul, with pink beak and hoopoe-like feathers atop head) litia
zuavapo:shi (black rail of Povoi, with red circles around its eyes) zwavapoershi
zulida (grey pigeon of Suekwa with red wings) zulida
fuligeon (fuliginous pigeon of Moakoa with green tail) duthul khezrukh
tapkiquan (white pigeon of Quilozmo with grey wings, related to the Nicobar pigeon) tapkikwan
starak-bung (beige flightless columbiform of Gregdard, with club-shaped beak) starak-bung

Now I decided it was finally time to create Kankonian words for bird orders. These are the nouns (ephel, which means "shape", is the Kankonian word for a taxonomic order); to form the adjectives, just add -i:

galliform wavatephel -- gamebird-order
anseriform wangaephel -- waterfowl-order
accipitriform vivirephel -- eagle-order
strigiform ayamephel
struthioniform nantesuoephel
sphenisciform yegavuephel
columbiform duthulephel -- pigeon-order
gruiform tibang-ephel -- rail-order
ciconiiform tivetakephel
phoenicopteriform yatzumudephel
falconiform havartalephel
cathartiform pavaephel -- condor-order
charadriiform va*abephel -- seagull-order
pelecaniform vatolupephel
coraciiform rauhokorephel -- kingfisher-order
passeriform lahahwiephel -- songbird-order
piciform gakakarvephel
cuculiform kuk-hukephel
apodiform tzivitziephel
psittaciform klotzabephel
rheiform noriaephel
apterygiform ivomephel
tinamiform watiwatiephel
casuariiform mornavurephel -- emu-order
podicipediform psahawiephel
mesitornithiform srudiphaephel
otidiform mayatkeleephel -- kori-bustard-order
musophagiform bimigbaphisephel
opisthocomiform zikovotzoephel
caprimulgiform vapoltasephel
nyctibiiform *osothverimephel
podargiform phrutuephel
phaethontiform zipsosephel
eurypygiform koren-atirioephel -- sunbittern-order
gaviiform gawanaephel
procelariiform heskiki-domungephel -- tubinare-order
suliform felpiephel -- cormorant-order
coliiform triahephel -- mousebird-order
trogoniform tzeginephel -- quetzal-order
bucerotiform bmakyukephel
cariamiform kehekriyephel
triprosopiform (bird order that includes the kmatumosumos) kmatumosumosephel -- kmatumosumos-rder
noveotzoniform (ratite order that includes the noveotzon) noveotzonephel
kajiiform (bird order that includes the kaji matziines) kadzhiephel
oqsoqiform (bird order that includes the moonkahs) munkaephel -- moonkah-order
Last edited by Khemehekis on 16 Mar 2024 14:44, edited 1 time in total.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Today I did 70 fish orders! Both nouns and adjectives, plus a few other words like "clingfish" and "zebra shark", so I got over 140 new words! I've already passed the half-a-year's-work mark (86,250) between 85,000 words and 87,500!
♂♥♂♀

Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

My lang Xawook is now Xiwook. I originally wanted it to be Xewook but the phonology does not have /e/. Then I decided that /i/ just lowers to [e] adjacent to semivowels /j w/.

So it's /ksiwo:k/ -> [ksewo:k]
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

Omzinesý wrote: 16 Mar 2024 12:23 My lang Xawook is now Xiwook. I originally wanted it to be Xewook but the phonology does not have /e/.
maybe thats an exonym, or was originally thus?
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

I started learning some Viossa! I'm enjoying it so far.

my garbage

she/her
_Just_A_Sketch
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by _Just_A_Sketch »

Totally unrelated (/j) I have continued my learning of Viossa after a fairly long hiatus!

(I also started working on 'ai'u again but thats not as comedic)
The other proud member of myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: Awloya, Olwöa, 'ai'u, Hɛlcɛso (on hiatus), Tsjàta (on hiatus)

she/they/fluff
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

Keenir wrote: 16 Mar 2024 22:16
Omzinesý wrote: 16 Mar 2024 12:23 My lang Xawook is now Xiwook. I originally wanted it to be Xewook but the phonology does not have /e/.
maybe thats an exonym, or was originally thus?
It is also one option.
But I think allophony does the thing well. I could even try writing the name Xewook.
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

_Just_A_Sketch wrote: 17 Mar 2024 04:33 Totally unrelated (/j) I have continued my learning of Viossa after a fairly long hiatus!
Hiii! Add this to the list of coincidental similarities between us?
_Just_A_Sketch wrote: 17 Mar 2024 04:33 (I also started working on 'ai'u again but thats not as comedic)
Might wanna update your signature, then!

my garbage

she/her