would rescuing an endangered language have a similar effect to israeli hebrew?

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Re: would rescuing an endangered language have a similar effect to israeli hebrew?

Post by WeepingElf »

I don't have much to contribute here, but as it happens, I have just finished reading Michael Adams (ed.), From Elvish to Klingon, which is mostly of course about conlangs, but also contains a chapter about language revitalization which addresses just the issues discussed here, such as the question how "pure" a revitalized language ought to be, and the endangerment of autochthonic dialects by a standardized form of the language resulting from the revitalization efforts.

I think that Modern Hebrew is a special case - it was part of an (ultimately successful) movement to establish a Jewish nation-state. Not all language revitalization movements have such a goal, they are merely about preventing the death of a minority language; the revitalized language would thus be used in a kind of diglossic situation with another, more widely spoken language.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Visions1
greek
greek

Re: does reviving a language make it more more like its neighbors?

Post by Visions1 »

It seems like a lot of the already-revived languages being mentioned here tended to get more simple after being revived (by which I mean, once they actually get spoken, they tend to lose the more complicated features). Hebrew became SVO and doesn't conjugate as much; Ainu isn't less polysynthetic among younger speakers; Irish became more like English.
Is this general trend a trend towards simplicity, or just a tendency to adopt whatever is common among nearby languages (Hebrew from Yiddish, Ainu from Japanese, Irish from English)? Of course, the First Nations data bashes this idea possibly, but going after these cases, it looks like there's a trend towards dropping stuff. I want to know why.

If we were to revive, say, a dying isolating SVO language in somewhere where everybody doesn't talk that way, would it look like its neighbors, or just get simplified? Or would something else happen.
Knox Adjacent
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: would rescuing an endangered language have a similar effect to israeli hebrew?

Post by Knox Adjacent »

Hmm. Say the SVO uses a complicated array of prepositions and relational nouns, and the local cool-speak uses cases suffixes (with suffixaufnahme for good measure) or just subordinate verbs that haven't quite made the leap to adposition, I wouldn't expect the dying SVO to hop aboard to case suffixes or such, but merely to engage in calquing to establish a 1-to1.

Also, not sure Ainu is a great example of simplification. Calquing à la Ainu V1 wa V2 vis-à-vis Japanese V1-te V2, sure happening. Dropping headmarking or whatever you're envising, nah.
Visions1
greek
greek

Post by Visions1 »

You're right. I forgot the changes already happened before the revival. My bad.
Knox Adjacent wrote: 21 Mar 2024 06:17 Hmm. Say the SVO uses a complicated array of prepositions and relational nouns, and the local cool-speak uses cases suffixes (with suffixaufnahme for good measure) or just subordinate verbs that haven't quite made the leap to adposition, I wouldn't expect the dying SVO to hop aboard to case suffixes or such, but merely to engage in calquing to establish a 1-to1.
But in a case where it's the opposite - the casey one is dying - what would you expect to happen?
Knox Adjacent
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Knox Adjacent »

Depends on the duration of dying. I wouldn't expect new native prepositions without a very protracted death and a change in order; probably just straight up borrowing instead and calquing again.
Dormouse559

Re: does reviving a language make it more more like its neighbors?

Post by Dormouse559 »

Visions1 wrote: 21 Mar 2024 03:36 It seems like a lot of the already-revived languages being mentioned here tended to get more simple after being revived (by which I mean, once they actually get spoken, they tend to lose the more complicated features). Hebrew became SVO and doesn't conjugate as much; Ainu isn't less polysynthetic among younger speakers; Irish became more like English.
Is this general trend a trend towards simplicity, or just a tendency to adopt whatever is common among nearby languages (Hebrew from Yiddish, Ainu from Japanese, Irish from English)?
With Hebrew, as I understand it, it’s more the latter. Ashkenazi speakers were influenced by their native languages, which were largely European, so Modern Hebrew got some SAE flavor.
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

Visions1 wrote: 21 Mar 2024 08:50
Knox Adjacent wrote: 21 Mar 2024 06:17 Hmm. Say the SVO uses a complicated array of prepositions and relational nouns, and the local cool-speak uses cases suffixes (with suffixaufnahme for good measure) or just subordinate verbs that haven't quite made the leap to adposition, I wouldn't expect the dying SVO to hop aboard to case suffixes or such, but merely to engage in calquing to establish a 1-to1.
But in a case where it's the opposite - the casey one is dying - what would you expect to happen?
thats basically Dyirbal, right? if memory serves, its losing/minimizing the use of one case, and relying more heavily on the other three (possibly mostly upon two of those)
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Keenir wrote: 21 Mar 2024 20:47
thats basically Dyirbal, right? if memory serves, its losing/minimizing the use of one case, and relying more heavily on the other three (possibly mostly upon two of those)
Sounds right, but I have little knowledge of Dyirbal, and I might be getting confused with its (famous) gender system ─ certain noun classes are getting lost / reduced in scope.
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Ruykkarraber family Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra Makihip-ŋAħual family Abisj
my garbage

she/her
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

Arayaz wrote: 21 Mar 2024 21:23
Keenir wrote: 21 Mar 2024 20:47
Sounds right, but I have little knowledge of Dyirbal, and I might be getting confused with its (famous) gender system ─ certain noun classes are getting lost / reduced in scope.
no no, tis my bad: I was thinking of the classes, not of cases. sorry.
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799