(C&C) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
lurker
greek
greek

Re: (C&C) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by lurker »

teotlxixtli wrote: 06 Apr 2024 02:20 I had this idea for an anti-vegan society, i.e. they only use animal products, mostly because I thought it was funny. But then I looked at the way that Inuit people live and thought it might be possible. But even Inuits eat berries and almost certainly have medicinal uses for plants and fungi.
Is there really any way to have a society that only uses animal products?
Make them nonhumans who can't digest plant matter? Cats are like that I believe.
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

teotlxixtli wrote: 06 Apr 2024 02:20 I had this idea for an anti-vegan society, i.e. they only use animal products, mostly because I thought it was funny. But then I looked at the way that Inuit people live and thought it might be possible. But even Inuits eat berries and almost certainly have medicinal uses for plants and fungi.
Yes. Just have your conculture unable to eat those plants and fungi (toxic, parasite-riddled, some other reason)
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

Alternatively, you could make them autotrophs that synthesize their own food (photosynthesis/chemosynthesis). Maybe they're disgusted at the idea that an organism has to kill and consume any living thing to survive, not just animals.
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
Visions1
greek
greek

Post by Visions1 »

I think a meat-only society would be pretty good for a sea-dwelling species. Using coral to slowly build things, for example (though it doesn't sound so viable.)
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

Visions1 wrote: 07 Apr 2024 06:55 I think a meat-only society would be pretty good for a sea-dwelling species. Using coral to slowly build things, for example (though it doesn't sound so viable.)
depends on how often they need to build new structures, as opposed to continuing the use of a structure that may or may not be slowly expanding/spreading.

...coral is pretty tough - at least the reef-building ones are; the soft corals may be used for other things (hunting or defensive tools?)
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799