The Sixth Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by Khemehekis »

zyma wrote: 12 Apr 2024 00:51 Well, I assume you mean that the different projects that you and I have worked on likely reflect our different preferences as conlangers. [:)]
Not just preferences, but styles. For one example: when you created Hannaito words for last year's Lexember, one of the things I noticed was that every word had several meanings . . . it was quite the polysemy. Kankonian has some basic words with a lot of semantically different meanings -- verbs like a*utzki (to fill) or arksas (to reach) come to mind, to say nothing of the prepositions -- but I couldn't go around doing that with every word in Kankonian, because given the scope of Kankonian -- tens of thousands of words -- there are tons of proper nouns and adjectives and scientific/technical terms . . . so by the nature of this project, Kankonian is bound to be full of "this word means 'praseodymium' and only 'praseodymium'" type words. Even my conlangs with fewer than 5,000 words tend to have lots of words that mean only an animal or plant species, or only some conculture-specific concept.
zyma wrote: 12 Apr 2024 00:51
Khemehekis wrote: 11 Apr 2024 23:27 To be honest, I couldn't even make out the word "quinoa" (the singer pronounces it with the accent on the second syllable instead of the first) until I looked up the lyrics online the first time I heard that song. But I remember the quinoa mention very well. They even discuss it on the song's Wikipedia page.
Out of curiosity, I looked on the song's Wikipedia page, and either I'm just missing where it talks about "quinoa", or maybe that part got edited out for some reason since you read about it. While looking up the etymology of "quinoa" on Wiktionary, I was interested to learn that some people apparently pronounce it more like /kiːˈnəʊ.ə ~ kiˈnoʊ.ə/, which I don't believe I've personally ever heard before.

What stood out the most to me about the song was the deeper voice occasionally chiming in to say "metronome" or "here we go". Apparently, the man whose voice that is also voices the announcements on the NYC Subway.
Must have been edited out, since I did a taskbar search for "quinoa" on the Wikipedia article and indeed it's no longer in the page. Neat about that Charlie Pellett guy -- I never knew that he was the same voice as the NYC Subway announcements! (Heh, not that I think I've ever heard their subway announcements, living in California.) And the story about how they had Pellett's email and reached out to him was touching.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 90,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Re: quinoa

https://www.billboard.com/music/lyrics/ ... s-9501271/
"The quinoa line in 'Bang!' is pretty apt. It's a terrible food. It's one of those things that we gotta start eating. It's a superfood," Ryan Metzger [the R of AJR, now Ryan Met] told Billboard in an interview about their highest-charting hit. "When we were writing the lyrics, we were trying to figure out how to encompass adulthood in one word, and it was quinoa."
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra
my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
Visions1
greek
greek

Post by Visions1 »

Aw, I like quinoa. Haven't had it in a while though.
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Khemehekis wrote: 12 Apr 2024 01:04
zyma wrote: 12 Apr 2024 00:51 Well, I assume you mean that the different projects that you and I have worked on likely reflect our different preferences as conlangers. [:)]
Not just preferences, but styles. For one example: when you created Hannaito words for last year's Lexember, one of the things I noticed was that every word had several meanings . . . it was quite the polysemy. Kankonian has some basic words with a lot of semantically different meanings -- verbs like a*utzki (to fill) or arksas (to reach) come to mind, to say nothing of the prepositions -- but I couldn't go around doing that with every word in Kankonian, because given the scope of Kankonian -- tens of thousands of words -- there are tons of proper nouns and adjectives and scientific/technical terms . . . so by the nature of this project, Kankonian is bound to be full of "this word means 'praseodymium' and only 'praseodymium'" type words. Even my conlangs with fewer than 5,000 words tend to have lots of words that mean only an animal or plant species, or only some conculture-specific concept.
I hadn't thought of it like this before, but I think I get what you mean by "style". It's interesting to hear your perspective, especially since it seems - from my point of view, at least - like you pay a lot of attention to this aspect of conlanging in particular. You're definitely much more interested in lexicon growth, for lack of a better term, than I am. If I were aiming to create thousands of words, I wouldn't want to get bogged down coming up with several different meanings for each one either. As for scientific and technological terms, based on this, most of the conlangs that I've worked on happen to be spoken by cultures that might not know about most of the chemical elements on a 21st century periodic table from our world. Maybe that could be considered another difference in "style"? [:)]

I will say that, for Lexember, I kind of "push" myself to come up with a number of different senses/meanings for each word, because I feel like, if I'm going to go to the trouble of making a post, I want it to feel worth my time, so to speak, and I feel like I'm somehow being more "productive" by giving each word multiple definitions. So, I don't know if my Lexember entries are really reflective of my overall conlanging "style", but since I haven't really posted anything I've been working on outside of Lexember for quite a while now, I certainly can't blame you or anyone else for coming to that conclusion. Alternatively, you may be spot-on, and I just haven't realized yet how general my penchant for polysemy is!
Khemehekis wrote: 12 Apr 2024 01:04 Must have been edited out, since I did a taskbar search for "quinoa" on the Wikipedia article and indeed it's no longer in the page. Neat about that Charlie Pellett guy -- I never knew that he was the same voice as the NYC Subway announcements! (Heh, not that I think I've ever heard their subway announcements, living in California.) And the story about how they had Pellett's email and reached out to him was touching.
I've heard the announcements a few times in videos, I think, though not in person. Agreed, it is a nice story. [:)]
Arayaz wrote: 12 Apr 2024 03:15 Re: quinoa

https://www.billboard.com/music/lyrics/ ... s-9501271/
"The quinoa line in 'Bang!' is pretty apt. It's a terrible food. It's one of those things that we gotta start eating. It's a superfood," Ryan Metzger [the R of AJR, now Ryan Met] told Billboard in an interview about their highest-charting hit. "When we were writing the lyrics, we were trying to figure out how to encompass adulthood in one word, and it was quinoa."
Oh, that's a neat peek "behind the scenes", so to speak.
Visions1 wrote: 12 Apr 2024 11:06 Aw, I like quinoa. Haven't had it in a while though.
I haven't had it in a while, either. I don't dislike it, but I can get where they were coming from while writing the song.
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

I've only had quinoa once and I really disliked it, but I was young.

Edit: This is the CBB's post number 235,335. Is that a cool enough number to warrant a notification for it? Eh.
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
_Just_A_Sketch
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by _Just_A_Sketch »

I wasn't even sure what quinoa was until I looked it up because of this conversation. From some descriptions I found it seems like Id probably like it, at least a bit.
The other proud member of myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: Awloya, Olwöa, 'ai'u, Hɛlcɛso (on hiatus), Tsjàta (on hiatus)

she/they/fluff
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

I tend to slightly overcook everything - due to a combination of laziness, poor timekeeping, and paranoia (it's better to slightly overcook and be disappointed than undercook and be vomiting!) - and unfortunately quinoa does not respond well to being overcooked.

But properly-cooked quinoa bought from someone else is nice! Unless it's an entire bowl of unflavoured quinoa by itself, of course, in which case it lacks flavour, but that's generally true of most staple starches.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

zyma wrote: 12 Apr 2024 15:46
Khemehekis wrote: 12 Apr 2024 01:04
I hadn't thought of it like this before, but I think I get what you mean by "style". It's interesting to hear your perspective, especially since it seems - from my point of view, at least - like you pay a lot of attention to this aspect of conlanging in particular. You're definitely much more interested in lexicon growth, for lack of a better term, than I am.
Yeah, definitely. I view creating 5,000 . . . 10,000 . . . 20,000 . . . 50,000 . . . 100,000 words as formidable accomplishments (heh, unless you're going to computer-generate a relex, like that Imjustadudeontheinternet guy who created Mmavvii). And it's a quantifiable accomplishment, by its very nature, so it's clear when I've achieved it.

I've discussed it before on the introverts vs. extroverts thread, but achieving things like creating 200 words in one day or completing a biosphere for a planet (by drawing plant and animal species) gives me a sort of dopamine rush and a Gilgameshesque feel of "hero"-in rush. Almost like, "I am become
Demiurge, creator of worlds". [:D]
If I were aiming to create thousands of words, I wouldn't want to get bogged down coming up with several different meanings for each one either. As for scientific and technological terms, based on this, most of the conlangs that I've worked on happen to be spoken by cultures that might not know about most of the chemical elements on a 21st century periodic table from our world. Maybe that could be considered another difference in "style"? [:)]
I enjoyed reading that Wikipedia article, and I would say, yes, most of the Lehola cultures I work with know about all of the first 118 elements on the periodic table. They're spacefaring peoples with technologies like lifespeeding and regening and fabbers -- most of them, although some peoples, such as the Hitans of the planet Shanu, are more traditional and traditionalist, despite their coming in contact with interstellar travelers.

That's definitely another difference in style . . . although this veers into conworlding as well as conlanging.

Then I have the Ghupii. The Ghupii are fhaang (a kind of sapient marsupial) from the planet Phadon. I created them as a kind of National Geographic "exotic" culture. The Ghupii are live on a traditional planet in Lehola. They wouldn't have words for "hydrogen" or "cellphone". They hunt uintatheriums (which never went extinct on Phadon).

More on the Ghupii in the spoiler:
Spoiler:
Ghupii are polygynous. The average woman will give birth four times (to eight babies) during her life.

Women are considered pouchling-making machines and spend their days raising young. The men do all of the hunting, gathering and cooking. During their periods of pregnancy, the women will stay kept away from the rest of the clan in a house called a bhixha. Dead animals are regularly stocked near the bhixha, so whoever is there will have something to eat. Raw meat often makes women sick during pregnancy. When the women come out of the bhixha they have a cleansing ceremony called a miutshu. A gazelle cloth is blessed by the priest, wetted in a river and wiped through each vagina in the "hospital" (a hexagonal shaman's office made of sticks) by the shaman. The shaman recites the word "phaaqaang" (phaang, blood, broken up by a q to "kill" the word), throughout the entire rubbing. If a woman has had quadruplets, the ceremony is repeated twice.

Ghupii consider their young vulnerable and sacred for the first 40 days after birth. After the sun sets on the fortieth day, they are temporarily taken out of the pouch and sprinkled with dirt to represent their new exposure to things natural and dirty. They stay in pouch for about 5 years, after which they join the adult community.

On a boy's coming-of-age ceremony, he has his first hunt with a group of adult men. He is expected to learn the words of the hunt dance chant, and the boys having their coming-of-age ceremony lead the chant while the men do their dance. The new comers-of-age will then go on a hunt at night until the group has bagged an uintatherium. A banquet is then held in the community. The boys will spend the rest of the night sleeping outside among the trees and animals until morning. Their ears are then pierced with horns (and more horns are added in throughout life). They have then entered the adult community. A girl's coming-of-age ceremony is less adventurous but just as trying, as she has her clitorides pierced with an animal's tooth and has one tooth fitted into each clitoris.

The first time a man marries, he has a stick from a fig tree placed between the prongs of his penis to increase virility. The man and his wife cut their wrists and exchange blood, then say, "I will love you until the moon falls into the sun and ants eat up the sky". The man then gives the woman a branch from a fig tree, and the woman promises to be faithful to her husband. Wedding viewers from both the bridegroom's and the bride's clan throw pomegranate seeds. The shaman asks Goxhiin, the god of the fig, to make their marriage a good one.

Last rites are given by burying the deceased in a wooden coffin, with fresh meat to eat in the afterlife, animal spleens (believed to contain the gift of life), fig sticks to immortalize the marriage, and all of his/her jewelry. The coffins have wooden "horns" on them that point towards Ghanaa, home of the gods. The shaman summons all 168 gods, and asks them if they will accept the deceased among them. The shaman waits until he hears an answer, then tells the families that the deceased will now make his/her home in the next world. The members of his/her clan then dance around the coffin as the shaman throws dirt over it, and professional mourners (always male) wail. In a funeral for a man, the man's oldest brother-in-law leads each of his wives away from the burial spot until the wife can turn around and the coffin is no longer in sight. She then walks home. Widows receive pensions until they remarry.

A Ghupii is given a pouch name for the first 40 days of life and then upon the fortieth day given a two-word name. The Ghupii also have a clan name, for their one of the Ghupii's 40 clans. After marriage, a woman moves to her husband's clan. Her clan name is now that of her husband. Names are not considered masculine or feminine.

The Ghupii wear lots of horn and tusk jewelry. Successfully hunting males wear the most. Females still wear jewelry, but never as much. Male adults will often pierce their ears, while female adults pierce their tongues. Male adults wear loincloths, while female adults wear skirts that reach to just above the ground.

The Ghupii believe in 168 gods and goddesses. Each deity is associated with some aspect of nature. The tribe's shamans are said to have the ability to commune with all 168 of them. Shamans appear at many of the rites and rituals Ghupii have. The gods are said to be invisible to Phadonis, but to have the ability to see the invisible so that they can see other gods. The gods and goddesses spend most of their time in a land called Ghanaa, with the spirits of deceased Phadonis.

Ghupii enjoy craft activities such as weaving, embroidery and bead-making. They play music for ceremonies and for calling animals on their synatoceras-hide drums, whistles, and vheyv (a string instrument shaped like a shovel with five strings). Paintings of animal scenes are done in their round, palm-leaf-covered houses and public shops. Another favorite pastime of these people is cougar-baiting (similar to bear-baiting), as these howling pumas are tortured and torn apart.

Tribal elders form caucuses. Popana is used by the elders. It is the caucuses that can call war and tell the soldiers whom to fight.

A number of Ghupii are trained as soldiers. These soldiers go out the night before a battle and dance with saber-toothed tiger masks on. They carry out their battle the next day carrying spears. They fight often with the Tlanu and the Knibo, who sometimes try to take over Ghupii territory or destroy the Ghupii.

The Ghupii have a number of taboos relating to family and gender. A man must speak to his sister-in-law first before his sister-in-law may speak to him. The sister-in-law may not speak to him first even if she notices before he that the house is on fire. Women and men eat in different rooms, while pouchlings eat with the women. A man may not joke with his sister, with his sister-in-law or with his mother's sister. A woman may not, under any circumstances, touch the nose of a man. A male may not wear a piece of jewelry that has ever been on a female, or vice versa. Women may not enter the kheur, a room in which men sit around, tell jokes and smoke strong herbs. The language has different words for foods and sexual concepts that a male uses with a male then he uses when speaking with a female. A pouchling is not really considered to have a gender, and is exempt from observing the normal rules about males and females.

The caucus must convene to decide whether someone should be executed. To execute someone, the tribe's executioner reads the damned his crime, then says, "This cannot go". He then lays him on a pile of wood surrounded by rocks, and ties his feet and hands together so he cannot run away. The executioner then sets the pile of wood afire, as the flames engulf the prisoner and burn him up. A man can be executed for murder, rape of a non-wife, treason to the tribe, or destruction of items and places valuable to the Ghupii people; a woman can be executed for adultery. Funerals are not held for people who are executed.

The Ghupii hold an orgy in the spring. The first full moon of that season is celebrated by the holiday of Hyawtliid. Phadonis run naked (except for a wreath of apple tree leaves around their necks) through the town and drink broeq, fermented pomegranate juice. They also eat diatryma eggs and slaughter any mother diatrymas that have gotten violent to be fed to pouchlings. Hemp is tied around people's doors. The shamans call Kukhaph, the god of reproduction, and Shwelh, goddess of eggs, to come down onto Phadon.

In the summer, they sacrifice 50 new babies who have recently passed the 40-day period to the gods. The sacrifice is done by piling the pouchlings up and lighting them on fire with a flame blessed by the tribe's dwegyae, its highest shaman. Tlikaw, god of the harvest, is asked for a good harvest in autumn by the shamans.

In the autumn, they hold a harvest festival. Every harvest festival, the Ghupii drink plenty of alcohol, of all types. Especially popular are beer and vapoxh, fermented kangaroo's milk. They dress up as goats by donning goat pelts and bronze horns and run through the oaks and bushes. This "butts" off the spirits of death that they fear may be especially prone to taking them around that time.

On the first full moon in winter, the Ghupii celebrate Khavhag. They go into a woodland until they find the tallest oak tree and cut it down. The members of each clan then burn their oak and watch all the evil spirits of the year fly up from the fire, away from them. The evil spirits are said to be responsible for all the bad things that have happened the past year. Bears are a popular symbol of the season, drawn on walls and doors. In emulation of their hibernation, the Ghupii one of one clan will get together on the night of Khavhag and sleep together in the open, with blankets piled over them. The community's shaman will summon up A'ingaa, goddess of winter, Tamhue, goddess of sleep, and Gyaera, god of oaks, to make their winter and night enjoyable. Presents are given on Khavhag from parents to children, from uncles to nieces and nephews, from grandparents to granchildren, from nephews to aunts, and from parents-in-law to sons- and daughters-in-law.
I will say that, for Lexember, I kind of "push" myself to come up with a number of different senses/meanings for each word, because I feel like, if I'm going to go to the trouble of making a post, I want it to feel worth my time, so to speak, and I feel like I'm somehow being more "productive" by giving each word multiple definitions. So, I don't know if my Lexember entries are really reflective of my overall conlanging "style", but since I haven't really posted anything I've been working on outside of Lexember for quite a while now, I certainly can't blame you or anyone else for coming to that conclusion. Alternatively, you may be spot-on, and I just haven't realized yet how general my penchant for polysemy is!
I see now why you had so many meanings! I didn't realize that. I really can't recall any stuff on the words you've created for Hanaitto or other conlangs outside of Lexember. As for my Shaleyan Lexember entries, I usually miss a few days, so I have to post several days' worth of new words in one day. And of course, I always write sentences for those words, and the sentences I come up with tend to require the creation of many new "Bonus Words". And I get new grammar rules out of my sentences, as well.

And quinoa is delicious! I've had it for dinner a number of times. A lot like eating wild rice (which I also love).
♂♥♂♀

Visions1
greek
greek

Post by Visions1 »

Had quinoa today. It was pretty decent.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

♂♥♂♀

conlang-creature
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by conlang-creature »

I'm not quite sure where to put this, but I found something interesting when digging in my notes app last night.
Notes wrote:Un Som Al
Uno Somo Alo
Unad Somad Alad

Corrupted:
Û Sôm Al
Wô Sômo Alo
Û Sôm Al

Ûmpar Sônpar Alpar
Nopar Snopar Lopar
Napar Snapar Lapar

Nî Smî Lî
Nõ Smõ Lõ
Nadî Snadî Ladî

Û Sôm Al
Wô Sômo Alo
Û Sôm Al

Ûm Sônpar Alpar
Ûwôpar Sônnopar Alopar
Wâ Sõma Ala

Ûwî Sônnî Alî
Ûwõ Sônnõ Alõ
Ûdî Sôndî Aldî

Lingatun designan parocsun novan magan es as longunad.
My language is still very new

Natural hocuni to hocal,
Patienal, kindal,
et as novunad es,
revalat

Desuni radian in paroksunad as statunad
May daylight shine upon you.
It seems to be an English-Latin combination that evolves to have... tone and nasals?
Either way the example sentences look cool, I might try to clean it up when I'm less busy.
A word a day keeps the scrapping away!
Current Record: 178
:usa: [:3]
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

conlang-creature wrote: 30 Apr 2024 16:55 I'm not quite sure where to put this, but I found something interesting when digging in my notes app last night.

[snip]

It seems to be an English-Latin combination that evolves to have... tone and nasals?
Either way the example sentences look cool, I might try to clean it up when I'm less busy.
Ooo, a tonal Romance language sounds cool ... Thanks for this idea!

my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Salmoneus wrote: 12 Apr 2024 20:44 I tend to slightly overcook everything - due to a combination of laziness, poor timekeeping, and paranoia (it's better to slightly overcook and be disappointed than undercook and be vomiting!) - and unfortunately quinoa does not respond well to being overcooked.
Ah, I often find myself facing similar issues when it comes to cooking.
Salmoneus wrote: 12 Apr 2024 20:44 But properly-cooked quinoa bought from someone else is nice! Unless it's an entire bowl of unflavoured quinoa by itself, of course, in which case it lacks flavour, but that's generally true of most staple starches.
[+1]
Visions1 wrote: 14 Apr 2024 07:31 Had quinoa today. It was pretty decent.
Glad to hear it!

Khemehekis wrote: 13 Apr 2024 01:36
I see now why you had so many meanings! I didn't realize that. I really can't recall any stuff on the words you've created for Hanaitto or other conlangs outside of Lexember. As for my Shaleyan Lexember entries, I usually miss a few days, so I have to post several days' worth of new words in one day. And of course, I always write sentences for those words, and the sentences I come up with tend to require the creation of many new "Bonus Words". And I get new grammar rules out of my sentences, as well.
(I somehow didn't see this until today, so my apologies for the delayed response.)

Well, I haven't really posted about anything I've been working on outside of Lexember for quite a few years now. In an ideal world, I'd like to include example sentences in my Lexember entries as well, but it's also been a few years since I've felt as though I've had enough free time to actually do so. As long as I'm able to post at least one word per day, though, that's good enough for me. Of course, it's nice being able to see what other participants are able to include in their entries. [:)]

conlang-creature wrote: 30 Apr 2024 16:55 I'm not quite sure where to put this, but I found something interesting when digging in my notes app last night.
[…]
I hope you have more time to play around with it soon!
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)