Who else can't sleep right now?

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
lurker
greek
greek

Who else can't sleep right now?

Post by lurker »

I've been up since 2 AM local time.

I have another attempt at that accursed CCNP exam on Friday, so I decided to work on some labs since I was unlikely to fall back asleep anyway. Among other things, I learned:

* Issuing the copy scp: nvram: command initiates an interactive prompt asking for a server address and source and destination filename.
* While SCP uses SSH, you still need to enable SCP specifically on the server in order to get it to work.
* Enabling AAA and specifying the local user database for login automatically applies the login requirement to the VTY lines.

I also need to see if you can apply a policy map with a bandwidth guarantee to a VTY line. It doesn't work if you try to apply it to the control plane. It's also picky about using the `match protocol ssh` command rather than `match access-group` with an ACL permitting traffic from TCP port 22. Applying the policy to an interface would make it a QoS issue rather than a CoPP issue if you want to get technical, and QoS isn't listed as an exam objective IIRC, so I don't know. Cisco isn't above saying something is out of scope only to ask about it on the exam anyway, even if it's one of those questions that isn't actually worth points. They won't tell you which are graded and which aren't.

They say repeating stuff you've learned helps you remember, so there you go. I repeated it.
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
Visions1
greek
greek

Re: Who else can't sleep right now?

Post by Visions1 »

Too bad I didn't see this. I've been up very early...
Actually, every day for the past month or two or more.
I've actually begun to notice what times people arrive on here. For example, if Khem is in EST...
(I forgot what time he's normally on here. Oh well.)
Last edited by Visions1 on 16 Apr 2024 17:41, edited 1 time in total.
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

I had trouble sleeping last night as well, but it's been rough these past few days. Partially because I literally didn't sleep Saturday night and then slept through the second half of the day on Sunday, but also just because I've been pretty stressed and anxious lately. It's getting into that time of year for students [:S]
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra Abisj
my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

Arayaz wrote: 16 Apr 2024 15:52 It's getting into that time of year for students [:S]
I can sympathize. It's been 'that time of year' for me personally since last August. That's when I took my first attempt at the above-mentioned exam. I've had to fight to keep all that information in my head for the past 8 months, and cram more in besides, given that I've failed three times previously.

Actually the stress brought on by that first attempt at the exam is part of what made me start my Lonely Galaxy project.

Ever had one of those "it's the last day of finals but you didn't study" dreams? I've been having those a lot lately. Never had them until the last few semesters of undergrad, but they never stopped.

For me it's always somehow simultaneously the first day of class because I can't find the right room, and finals time because I'm anxious about not being prepared. It's almost always in my junior high school for some reason, even if the classes are clearly college level. I'll always arrive at one class only to find out it's the wrong room and have to hurry to the right one.
Visions1 wrote: 16 Apr 2024 15:21 Actually, every day for the past month or two or more.
Ideally I'm in bed fairly early (9 PM or so) and wake up around 5 AM. I'm a 'get it over with' kind of guy, and like to front load as much of my to-dos as possible so the rest of the day is free.

Truth be told this board has served as a replacement for my Reddit addiction. I've been on here way more than is probably healthy, especially given I have another $300 exam coming up. I SHOULD be studying right now. I'm at work, and, like a lot of IT jobs, it's expected, even encouraged, that you work on getting or updating certs in your down time. This job has a LOT of down time, and the test is Friday, yet here I am, on this board.

I did at least answer my question about applying a policy map to a VTY line. The answer is no, you can't

The exam question I've been attempting to solve involves reserving a certain amount of bandwidth for management traffic destined for the router itself (as opposed to data being forwarded by the router to another network). You do this by creating a definition that identifies the traffic you want to effect, then applying that definition to a policy that says what you want to do with that traffic once it's identified. This is usually used in quality of service (QoS) applications, like giving priority to real-time video streaming or something like that. But you can also apply a policy to the control plane, which is the part of the router that processes management traffic destined for the router itself.

The solution that seems to work given the constraints of the lab question as I remember them is to create an ACL matches everything BUT SSH traffic, apply that ACL to a class map, then apply that class map to a policy map, and attach a policer (which drops matching packets if they exceed a given congestion threshold) to the traffic that gives, say, 80% of the interface bandwidth to non SSH traffic. That effectively reserves 20% of the interface bandwidth for SSH.

But that sounds really convoluted given that the solutions to these exam labs is usually fairly straightforward. They expect you to spend no more than 5 to 7 minutes on each lab total, and each lab may have several subquestions. With the extended time I get via ADA accommodations, I get 10-14 minutes per lab.

I also need to look at SNMP and HSRP. Can't remember if HSRP is on the exam, but it's worth a shot. Probably alongside some object tracking issue.

Well, at least I've been talking about relevant topics while I'm on here...
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚