Kahóra: the Language of Dreams

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Arayaz
roman
roman

Kahóra: the Language of Dreams

Post by Arayaz »

I'm using my 1,300th CBB post (!!!) to announce Kahóra, a language I am working on with my beloved Sketch. It's a bit disorganized and just for fun, and not set in UC1 like our other collaborative project.

Before I go any further, I'd like to point out that this is absolutely not intended to be naturalistic. As I called it when we were discussing it earlier today:
Arayaz wrote:a kitchen sink, but made by a professional plumber
Backstory

It all started when Sketch and I met, on a cool summer night in Las Vegas, over a fancy cocktail at a bar.

Okay, that's not true. We met on tumblr, and were mutuals for a few weeks. Then we started talking about making a collablang together (that language is currently called ??? Arskiilz, and is in my signature), and from that project we became friendly. Then one day, Sketch mentioned to me that the day after we had started talking about the collablang, she had dreamed that we started it ─ and in her dream, it had the following phonemic inventory:

/ʃ x ʁ ʕ/
/æ ɑ/

That's not a joke. Nothing other than that.

And I, being the way that I am, saw this and saw an opportunity. So then we made it into an actual language. And she and I shall reveal more about that language in this thread. For now, I must leave you. Stay tuned!
Last edited by Arayaz on 27 Apr 2024 17:36, edited 1 time in total.
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra Hóubenk
my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
DV82LECM
sinic
sinic

Re: Kahóra: the Language of Dreams

Post by DV82LECM »

Minimalistic af! By the name, may I wager that /ɑ/ has an allophone [o] before /ʁ/?
𖥑𖧨𖣫𖦺𖣦𖢋𖤼𖥃𖣔𖣋𖢅𖡹𖡨𖡶𖡦𖡧𖡚𖠨
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

DV82LECM wrote: 18 Apr 2024 18:23 Minimalistic af! By the name, may I wager that /ɑ/ has an allophone [o] before /ʁ/?
Actually, we just romanized /æ ɑ/ as <a o> ─ kahóra is something like [kʰæ˧ʕɑ˦˥ʁæ˥].
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
TBPO
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by TBPO »

Nice conlang! I'm waiting for more details.
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

TBPO wrote: 30 Apr 2024 09:02 Nice conlang! I'm waiting for more details.
Thank you!

More Phonology Details

We've expanded the phonology of the language somewhat; we have nasal vowels now, which allophonically nasalize the consonant after them, producing /ɲ ŋ ɴ/ <n g ŋ> (ʕ nasalizes to ɴ). The nasal vowels are romanized with ogoneks, so we have for example /xɑ̃ʕɑʁæ/ [kɑ̃˧ɴɑ˧ʁæ˧] kǫŋora.

Then, I should point out our other allophony: the fricatives /ʃ x ʁ ʕ/ fortify to [t͡ʃ k q ʔ] word-initially. (This is how we got the k in kahóra.)

I'll talk about the tone later.

my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
TBPO
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by TBPO »

We have phonemes and allophones, and we will have also tones, but what about morphosyntax and lexicon? For example, how to say "I will eat five sausages"?
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

TBPO wrote: 30 Apr 2024 16:01 We have phonemes and allophones, and we will have also tones, but what about morphosyntax and lexicon? For example, how to say "I will eat five sausages"?
Patience, grasshopper! All shall be revealed with time [:D]

Edit: This is the Conlangs subforums's 122,233th post!

my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her