Olwöa analysis swap

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
_Just_A_Sketch
cuneiform
cuneiform

Olwöa analysis swap

Post by _Just_A_Sketch »

Here is my thread for the analysis swap. I'll be using Olwöa for this game, as evidenced by the title. Olwöa is spoken by anthropomorphic bee-like creatures in a temperate forest in the foothills of a mountain range. The speakers are non-industrial, so no advanced technology.

I'll be following the same rules outlined by Trailsend:
Trailsend wrote: 08 May 2024 23:39 I'll be playing the part of a "lay" speaker—that is, someone who speaks the language but has no linguistic training. I'll be able to tell you how to say things in different situations, maybe give intuitive explanations of how I think about why you say something, but won't be able to give you any technical analysis. (And my explanations might not actually hold up to scrutiny, just like happens with fluent speakers of natural languages.)

Some notation conventions I'll use: I'll number any sentences I give, to make it easier for folks to reference specific sentences. If it would help, feel free to ask whether you could say a particular sentence; if you can, I'll repost it with a number. If you can't, I'll number it but mark it with an asterisk to show it's ungrammatical. For example,

1) This sentence is grammatical.

2*) This sentence not is grammatical.
The other proud member of myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: The Awloyan languages, Ụwwụterašerụ, Arskiilz, Kahóra, 'ai'u, Northlang V4

she/they/fluff
Kesshin
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: Olwöa analysis swap

Post by Kesshin »

"How would you say 'to be or not to be' in Olwöa?"
he/him, they/them
Forgive me if I seem uneducated or disorganized, I am new to the community and vocab.

currently hyperfocused on: Daas
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

"Hello!" I wave to my Olwöa informant. "Or, I should say ─ ah ─" I pause, somewhat embarrassed, knowing I should've at least studied the basics before coming here "─ how would I greet you in Olwöa?"
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra Xúuuatxia Alushi [Unnamed] Ẹlnk kakúsan
my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
Trailsend

Post by Trailsend »

_Just_A_Sketch wrote: 09 May 2024 02:37 Olwöa is spoken by anthropomorphic bee-like creatures in a temperate forest in the foothills of a mountain range.
Yes hello, I love everything about this.

Is there some kind of object that a typical Olwöa speaker would be likely to have on them? Like a piece of clothing, or some kind of tool? (Like shoes, keys, a knife, a waterskin?)

Also, how would you say: What is that?
(it/they)
任何事物的发展都是物极必反,否极泰来。
_Just_A_Sketch
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by _Just_A_Sketch »

Arayaz wrote: 09 May 2024 02:42 "Hello!" I wave to my Olwöa informant. "Or, I should say ─ ah ─" I pause, somewhat embarrassed, knowing I should've at least studied the basics before coming here "─ how would I greet you in Olwöa?"
Since you're the one beginning the conversation, you'd say:

1a) A oabolw.

And then I'd say:

1b) Ajan e geobeka.
Trailsend wrote: 09 May 2024 08:44
_Just_A_Sketch wrote: 09 May 2024 02:37 Olwöa is spoken by anthropomorphic bee-like creatures in a temperate forest in the foothills of a mountain range.
Yes hello, I love everything about this.

Is there some kind of object that a typical Olwöa speaker would be likely to have on them? Like a piece of clothing, or some kind of tool? (Like shoes, keys, a knife, a waterskin?)

Also, how would you say: What is that?
You would say:

2) Bubo ga?

(Many of the speakers adorn themselves in colorful fabrics in the form scarves, shawls, or other similar coverings. This speaker has a pale orange piece of fabric wrapped around her neck. Many speakers also carry around woven baskets. I should also add that the speakers are very small, a less than half the height of an average person.)
The other proud member of myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: The Awloyan languages, Ụwwụterašerụ, Arskiilz, Kahóra, 'ai'u, Northlang V4

she/they/fluff
Trailsend

Post by Trailsend »

Spoiler:
_Just_A_Sketch wrote: 09 May 2024 15:35(Many of the speakers adorn themselves in colorful fabrics in the form scarves, shawls, or other similar coverings. This speaker has a pale orange piece of fabric wrapped around her neck. Many speakers also carry around woven baskets. I should also add that the speakers are very small, a less than half the height of an average person.)
aaaaaaAAAAHHHHH I LOVE THEM <3 <3 <3
I take a bright purple scarf out of my things and hold it out to her.

Bubo ga?
(it/they)
任何事物的发展都是物极必反,否极泰来。
_Just_A_Sketch
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by _Just_A_Sketch »

Spoiler:
Trailsend wrote: 09 May 2024 15:44 aaaaaaAAAAHHHHH I LOVE THEM <3 <3 <3
Thank you!! I should post their design later, I think they're very cute.
Trailsend wrote: 09 May 2024 15:44 I take a bright purple scarf out of my things and hold it out to her.

Bubo ga?
3) Bubo laibe.

She points to her own scarf

4) Debu laibe.
Kesshin wrote: 09 May 2024 02:42 "How would you say 'to be or not to be' in Olwöa?"
Hmmm, I don't think we have a word like "to be", but if you wanted to say something like "to be loud or not to be loud" then you could say:

5) Jhenha jazo jhenha.

she/they/fluff
Flavia
greek
greek

Post by Flavia »

oh look what a nice coincidence, the langs we chose for our analysis swaps are both spoken by anthropomorphic insect-like winged creatures :3

I approach the gathered aliens with caution. One of them must be the informant I was told about. I listen to their conversation for a while, and join them when I get the chance:

A oabolw!

How do you say "what's your name"?
XIPA
Abaniscen cancasirnemor!
she/her
Trailsend

Post by Trailsend »

Spoiler:
_Just_A_Sketch wrote: 09 May 2024 16:12 3) Bubo laibe.

She points to her own scarf

4) Debu laibe.
Awesome, we have:

bubo, that?
debu, this?

Confident they're demonstratives, and ga is the question word, but it might not be a this/that distinction. Let's try:
I take the purple scarf and carry it a few yards away, set it down on some grass, and then come back to you.

What about now? I point at the scarf. Can I still say, "Bubo ga?"
(it/they)
任何事物的发展都是物极必反,否极泰来。
_Just_A_Sketch
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by _Just_A_Sketch »

Yes! That's correct!
_Just_A_Sketch wrote: 09 May 2024 16:12
Trailsend wrote: 09 May 2024 15:44 I take a bright purple scarf out of my things and hold it out to her.

Bubo ga?
3) Bubo laibe.
OOC: I just realized I messed up here, that should be "Debo ga?"...

she/they/fluff
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

_Just_A_Sketch wrote: 09 May 2024 15:35 Since you're the one beginning the conversation, you'd say:

1a) A oabolw.

And then I'd say:

1b) Ajan e geobeka.
"Well then, a oabolw," I say. I pick up a rock from the ground. "Debo ga?"
Spoiler:
_Just_A_Sketch wrote: 09 May 2024 17:46 Yes! That's correct!
Trailsend wrote: 09 May 2024 15:44 Bubo ga?
3) Bubo laibe.
Is it still bubo laibe, or should that be debo laibe?
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra Xúuuatxia Alushi [Unnamed] Ẹlnk kakúsan
my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
_Just_A_Sketch
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by _Just_A_Sketch »

Arayaz wrote: 09 May 2024 18:54
_Just_A_Sketch wrote: 09 May 2024 15:35 Since you're the one beginning the conversation, you'd say:

1a) A oabolw.

And then I'd say:

1b) Ajan e geobeka.
"Well then, a oabolw," I say. I pick up a rock from the ground. "Debo ga?"
Ajan e geobeka! Bubo jen.
Spoiler:
Arayaz wrote: 09 May 2024 18:54
_Just_A_Sketch wrote: 09 May 2024 15:35
Trailsend wrote: 09 May 2024 15:44 Bubo ga?
3) Bubo laibe.
Is it still bubo laibe, or should that be debo laibe?
OOC: It would be "Bubo laibe"

she/they/fluff
Trailsend

Post by Trailsend »

Spoiler:
Okay, now just to be sure... :P
I pick up the purple scarf and carry it aaaaaaall the way to the far side of the space we're in (a clearing? a village?), so it will still be visible but only just, and then walk aaaaaaall the way back to you. I point at the scarf.

Can I still say, 'Bubo ga?'
(it/they)
任何事物的发展都是物极必反,否极泰来。
_Just_A_Sketch
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by _Just_A_Sketch »

Yes, that's still "bubo ga?".

she/they/fluff
Trailsend

Post by Trailsend »

Spoiler:
Okay, all signs so far point to two degrees of proximity: Debo for close, and bubo for far. Something someone else is holding seems to count as far.
(Okay, I think I know my next move, but first, did you catch this question from Flavia, Sketch? I think I cut them off.)
Flavia wrote: 09 May 2024 16:26 A oabolw!

(it/they)
任何事物的发展都是物极必反,否极泰来。
_Just_A_Sketch
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by _Just_A_Sketch »

Trailsend wrote: 10 May 2024 01:00
Spoiler:
Okay, all signs so far point to two degrees of proximity: Debo for close, and bubo for far. Something someone else is holding seems to count as far.
(Okay, I think I know my next move, but first, did you catch this question from Flavia, Sketch? I think I cut them off.)

Spoiler:
Im not going to say whether or not you're right about the degrees of proximity but I feel I should add that I'm really bad with them in real life for whatever reason, so I hope that's not messing with the analysis...
(I haven't forgotten it, I just need to get around to making the proper words for name stuff, and for once I've been doing my work instead of procrastinating. You can do your next move now though.)

she/they/fluff
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

"Hmm." I put the rock on the ground, then pick it back up and hold it firmly in my hand. "What would you call what I'm doing to it now?"

my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
_Just_A_Sketch
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by _Just_A_Sketch »

I would say that:

6) ejan jen moghan.

she/they/fluff
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

_Just_A_Sketch wrote: 10 May 2024 04:01 I would say that:

6) ejan jen moghan.
Spoiler:
Could that ejan be related to ajan in ajan e geobeka?
"Okay," I say. "And" ─ I drop the rock ─ "what did I just do?"

my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
_Just_A_Sketch
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by _Just_A_Sketch »

Spoiler:
Ughh I'm so bad at translations, "ajan e geobeka" is supposed be "ajan e jobeka"...
I've rearranged my tables so hopefully I will stop making that mistake.

Ajan e jobeka! We have a few ways to ask for someone's name, but in this case I'd say:

7) ejan ga mobhate?
Arayaz wrote: 10 May 2024 04:03
_Just_A_Sketch wrote: 10 May 2024 04:01 I would say that:

6) ejan jen moghan.
"Okay," I say. "And" ─ I drop the rock ─ "what did I just do?"
8) ejan jewo mozazezelh.

she/they/fluff