gender-specific speech?

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
xBlackWolfx
banned

gender-specific speech?

Post by xBlackWolfx »

it's a phenomenon i've stumbled upon in a few languages, such as japanese and supposedly the native languages of the amazon.

i'm contemplating doing something like that in my own conlang, just to add flavor to it. what i'd like to know is how and why does gender-specific speech come about? as in one gender will use certain words or constructions that the other gender does not (as in japanese) or they'll pronounce the words differently from the opposite gender (amazonian women supposedly pronounce their words alot more precisely than the men, who often slur their words into monosyllables, and you sortof see this in french where masculine words are often identical to their feminine counterparts with the only different being that for the masculine, the final consonant is silent, such as in the words chat and chatte, meaning cat).

and is there any real pattern to what constitutents male and female speech? as in are there characteristics of speech that are considered gender-specific across several cultures, or at least does the male and female speech within a language actually follow a certain theme or recurring pattern? i've noticed in japanese that male-specific speech tends to feature alot of voiced plosives (boku and ze) while feminine speech uses words made mostly of approximants and vowels (using 'wa' at the end of a word and atashi instead of watashi). of course, those examples are sorta moot. boku is now considered more gender-neutral than in the past (with the once gender-neutral watashi becoming more masculine), and atashi is very very rare. japanese pronouns are highly unstable and are constantly changing from one year to the next, to the extreme that children always refer to themselves in the third person until they can get a hold of japanese's complex and ever changing pronoun system.
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Re: gender-specific speech?

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

Were you drunk while typing that?
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

I wish I typed that well when drunk...
xBlackWolfx
banned

Post by xBlackWolfx »

Thakowsaizmu wrote:Were you drunk while typing that?
no i was not. i've never done anysort of drug in my entire life. and what could there be in that post that could possibly be interpreted as me being drunk?
Tanni
greek
greek

Post by Tanni »

xBlackWolfx wrote:
no i was not. i've never done anysort of drug in my entire life.
Yes!
xBlackWolfx wrote:... and what could there be in that post that could possibly be interpreted as me being drunk?
Hush! There's something called orthography, even in English!

Chukchi

Tsjoektsjisch:
Wikipedia wrote:Een merkwaardig verschijnsel in het Tsjoektsjisch is een uitspraakverschil tussen mannen en vrouwen: in de vrouwentaal ontbreekt de klank r: ervoor in de plaats spreken vrouwen een ts uit.
Tschuktschische:
Wikipedia wrote:Eine Besonderheit ist die unterschiedliche Aussprache des Konsonanten /r/ bzw. der Kombination /rk/ bei Männern und Frauen. Während die Männer /r/ bzw. /rk/ sprechen, sprechen die Frauen in beiden Fällen /ts/. So heißt das „Walross“ bei den Männern rərkə, bei den Frauen aber tsətsə.
CHUKCHEE HOMEPAGE

chapter1:
Women's speech is said to differ from men's speech, principally in the pronunciation of 'r' (which is pronounced /ts/ by women).
Tschuktscho-kamtschadalische Sprachen:
Eine kuriose Besonderheit einiger tschuktscho-kamtschadalischer Sprachen ist die geschlechtsspezifische Aussprache mancher Phoneme. So wird im Tschuktschischen in Frauensprache der r-Laut in bestimmten Positionen gern als /ts/ gesprochen. Diese Ausspracheform ist jedoch eher eine geschlechtsspezifische Attitüde als eine durchgehende Regel. Im Aliutor entspricht männliches /l/ oder /s/ in weiblicher Aussprache dem /ts/, z.B. plaku gegenüber ptsaku (Schuhwerk).
So, Alyutor also seems to have gender-specific pronunciation.

Aliutors:
As with the Chukchi language, there are regular pronunciation differences in men's and women's usages. Women say ts where men have l or s (e.g. plaku versus ptsaku 'footwear'). Men's usage is considered improper for women and vice versa.
Last edited by Tanni on 04 Sep 2011 15:49, edited 2 times in total.
My neurochemistry has fucked my impulse control, now I'm diagnosed OOD = oppositional opinion disorder, one of the most deadly diseases in totalitarian states, but can be cured in the free world.
Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing »

xBlackWolfx wrote:and you sortof see this in french where masculine words are often identical to their feminine counterparts with the only different being that for the masculine, the final consonant is silent, such as in the words chat and chatte, meaning cat).
This is not a case of gender-specific speech. It is different grammatical genders.
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

xBlackWolfx wrote:
no i was not. i've never done anysort of drug in my entire life. and what could there be in that post that could possibly be interpreted as me being drunk?
Probably the lack of coherency.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Well, I can say for sure a few languages have a mandatory distinction between male and female first-person pronouns.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter