Your favorite major, published con-stuff?

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Veris
cuneiform
cuneiform

Your favorite major, published con-stuff?

Post by Veris »

Most conworlds and conlangs and concultures are like yours and mine; a hobby, mostly done by amateurs (i.e. non-professional writers or summat) such as ourselves, mostly for personal reasons. There are constructed worlds and such in the public eye, though, perhaps the two most famous being the Star Wars universe and, of course, Middle Earth.

So, among such con-stuff from major, published works (movies, novels, videogames, etc.), what's your favorite stuff?

I love the Chozo from Metroid lore. Eye em oh, the coolest conpeoples, period. I also really like the Dunmer from the Elder Scrolls series in general, and Morrowind specifically, and you're an n'wah if you've never heard of either.

The Chozo, they're just the best "ultra-high tech lost ancient civilization" I've ever seen done, bar none. Their culture, their appearance, the design of their technology -- everything. I especially like how they blend spirituality and technology; they're ultra-high tech, but that causes them to be more reverent of life and nature, not less. Which is rarely seen in fiction; mostly, the higher-tech species are either cold and emotionless (Vulcans) or outright evil (Borg) and our intrepid human heroes have to teach them the value of nature and emotions and stuff or have to fight them for control of the galaxy or whatever.

The Dunmer are just interesting and rather original, despite technically being a kind of elf (dun mer literally meaning dark elf, and the Dunmer just being one of several -mer species). They hail from a small volcanic region which is regularly active, leaving plains and plains of nothing but ash and rock, and lead a rather tribal life despite the nearby spread of Medieval technology. But they're not your typical "tribal-type" conpeoples (expies of Native Americans or some such created by guilty-feeling white people to live out elaborate fantasies of racial reparation -- I'm looking at you, Na'vi), the Dunmer exist not for the amusement of foreigners, but for themselves. They're a hard, proud people who've endured centuries of crap, but haven't become insular or started in-fighting because of it.

None of which is necessarily why I like the Dunmer. I can't really put my finger on it. I just do.

Oh, and my favorite, well it's barely a conlang, but Hylian. I love the characters used to write the language; very aesthetically pleasing.
á (0225); í (0237); ú (0250); é (0233); ó (0243)
Á (0193); Í (0205); Ú (0218); É (0201); Ó (0211)
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Re: Your favorite major, published con-stuff?

Post by Micamo »

Really Morrowind's world-building was quite lovely. If I had played it first it would have made my experience with Oblivion quite... disappointing in comparison. Why does every single inch of Cyrodiil look exactly the same, just a random assortment of trees and hills? Believe it or not there actually is a Region List just like Morrowind, but aside from that little text thing in the corner when I switch regions I can't tell them apart. Thank god for UL. I do hope Skyrim's regions are more like Morrowind's and less like Oblivion's.

Still, can't say I'd have missed the luck-based attack rolls. Ah well.

As for the Chozo I don't really think they're all that spiritual, at least by any conventional definition of the term. Skytown was not held aloft by prayer.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
plathhs
sinic
sinic

Post by plathhs »

My favourite conworld is probably Spira from FFX/X-2. It's far from perfect, I guess, but it feels like home to me. They should've made a real language for the Al Bhed though, not just a silly cipher – they deserve something better … I could go on for hours about what I like about it, but I'll just leave it like this for now.

And I'm a sucker for Miyazaki. Man, he's got some imagination … Spirited Away, Nausicaä … and even Ponyo. It's all genius.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I've gotta mention Always Coming Home, with the Kesh people (and their enemies, the Dayao), by Ursula K. Le Guin.

And then there's Jim Hopkins' Itlani. He has some Itlani poems published as a book (with an ISBN number)!
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 92,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Testyal
roman
roman

Post by Testyal »

Equestria, probably, being in the pony phase of my life.
:deu: :fra: :zho: :epo:
Yačay256
greek
greek

Post by Yačay256 »

I just started reading Dune and I really like it.
¡Mñíĝínxàʋày!
¡[ˈmí.ɲ̟ōj.ˌɣín.ʃà.βä́j]!
2-POSS.EXCL.ALIEN-COMP-friend.comrade
Hello, colleagues!
tev
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by tev »

My favorite is Middle-Earth. I know you all know it :-).
Sanareĥo hama ya sanoya.("live the moment")

native :deu:
maybe fluent :eng:
translateable :lat:
learning :fin:
my conlang: :con: Vanaya
Crumbs
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Crumbs »

Discworld.
Not sure what to say besides that...?
If you haven't heard of Terry Pratchett, read those books.
Mountainmax
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Mountainmax »

I'm quite fond of OSC's cultures through ought the memory of Earth series. Their culture seemed interesting and the devotion towards the layout and behavior of the city and its denizens made me even more fascinated.
Proto-Elezaic
Would greatly appreciate any critiques or comments
focle
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Location: Lost between Somewhere and Someplace in the NetherSphere

Post by focle »

For me it's Dune hands down. Frank Herbert created the perfect science fiction novel.
I'd Rather Be Conlanging Than Working

Native: :usa:
Interested: :gle: :ell: :nor: :fra: :mri: :deu: :ara:
Creating: :con: Cyrenean, Ghanjani
Actively Working On: :con: Acrenish, Uxli
Veris
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Veris »

@Mountainmax: Every time someone mentions OSC, I have to post this. Personal policy; you understand.
Ear of the Sphinx
mayan
mayan

Post by Ear of the Sphinx »

I have read the Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin. Little con-stuff.
Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.
Nortaneous
greek
greek

Post by Nortaneous »

Modesitt's Recluce series. At least partially because it strongly resembles an earlier version of my conworld, except with an interesting system of magic. (This is what motivated me to add something similar to magic to my conworld, although
Spoiler:
it's actually technology -- mostly gene-tagged nanobots from a crashlanded spaceship, which is also why it's strongest on the Hathic islands.
)
Veris wrote:I love the Chozo from Metroid lore. Eye em oh, the coolest conpeoples, period. I also really like the Dunmer from the Elder Scrolls series in general, and Morrowind specifically, and you're an n'wah if you've never heard of either.

The Chozo, they're just the best "ultra-high tech lost ancient civilization" I've ever seen done, bar none. Their culture, their appearance, the design of their technology -- everything. I especially like how they blend spirituality and technology; they're ultra-high tech, but that causes them to be more reverent of life and nature, not less. Which is rarely seen in fiction; mostly, the higher-tech species are either cold and emotionless (Vulcans) or outright evil (Borg) and our intrepid human heroes have to teach them the value of nature and emotions and stuff or have to fight them for control of the galaxy or whatever.
Wait, there's actual information out on the Chozo? Where?
Bristel
sinic
sinic

Post by Bristel »

I like the Piers Anthony series Xanth, which sort of inspired me to want to write something in the fantasy realm.

Esperanto and Tolkien both inspired my early conlanging exploits before I got interested in linguistics itself.

zompist's Verduria and Almea stuff got me interested in creating a whole world to test out all these new hobbies of mine.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīqua cupiditāte illectus hōc agō.
[tiː.mɔ.tʉɥs god.lɐf hɑwk]
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Nortaneous wrote:Wait, there's actual information out on the Chozo? Where?
Metroid Prime has pieces of Chozo Lore. This is what he's probably talking about:
Our sanctuary grows by the day. We Chozo know much of technology, but we have chosen to leave it behind on this journey. Our home here on Tallon IV will be a place of simplicity: structures hewn from the stone, bridges woven with branches, hallways caressed by pure waters. We build around the ancient and noble trees, drawing from their strength and giving them our own in return. All that is wild will flow around us here: our race will be just one more group of creatures in the knit of nature. It is our hope that such a state will bring with it greater wisdom, a greater understanding of the nature of the universe. Once our city here is complete, we will peer inward and discover the truth.
And of course, can't forget the old Metroid manga if you can manage to find that anywhere.

The other prime games have similar bits of lore for the other planets you get to visit. Though they say next to nothing about their actual culture and instead give backstory for the current conflict of the game. Though there is some unused data on Bryyo in Metroid Prime 3 that was cut from the final game, a full Pantheon for the reptile-like species.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
Veris
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Veris »

@Nortaneous: There's a Metroid manga that shows Samus as a child living among the Chozo. Has a whole cast of Chozo characters. Also, every Instruction Manual of every Metroid game mentions the Chozo and offers bits of lore. Plus, Metroid Prime (just the first one) had tons of Chozo info. Through all of that, they come across as very spiritual, and of course it's very obvious that at the same time, they're highly technologically advanced. It's a rare combination, and one that I love.
Spoiler:
Also, I've got an "everyone thinks its magic but it's actually technology" conworld, too. Mine was inspired by The Book of the New Sun, though.
Mountainmax
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Mountainmax »

Veris wrote:@Mountainmax: Every time someone mentions OSC, I have to post this. Personal policy; you understand.
damn that's a lot of words. Ill give it a good read over once I have time XD And yes I understand. I almost did an essay on Ender's Game once, but the teacher scrapped it. The opening had me stuck to it XD
Proto-Elezaic
Trailsend

Post by Trailsend »

All things Rakhat, from Mary Doria Russell's novels The Sparrow and Children of God. The conlanging/worlding/culturing/etc. are all stellar.
(it/they)
任何事物的发展都是物极必反,否极泰来。
Veris
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Veris »

Dammit, everyone, stop being so laconic! Don't just say what your favorite stuff is; tell us why. Nobody else (certainly not me) is gonna Google the authors and works you mention and spend hours reading about them to try and approximate at why they're your favorite, but they (and particularly, I) will certainly spend three minutes reading a couple of paragraphs you write describing what you love about your favorite con-stuff. Don't be shy -- I've giving you free reign to gab and gush.

@Mountainmax: The long short of the argument is, as the title indicates, that OSC presents Ender as a beacon of morality, but in reality, he's a violent, murderous, genocidal maniac, and that the intention-based morality that the story and, by admitted extension, OSC himself lauds is a lame and indefensible one.
Mountainmax
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Mountainmax »

Veris wrote:Dammit, everyone, stop being so laconic! Don't just say what your favorite stuff is; tell us why. Nobody else (certainly not me) is gonna Google the authors and works you mention and spend hours reading about them to try and approximate at why they're your favorite, but they (and particularly, I) will certainly spend three minutes reading a couple of paragraphs you write describing what you love about your favorite con-stuff. Don't be shy -- I've giving you free reign to gab and gush.

@Mountainmax: The long short of the argument is, as the title indicates, that OSC presents Ender as a beacon of morality, but in reality, he's a violent, murderous, genocidal maniac, and that the intention-based morality that the story and, by admitted extension, OSC himself lauds is a lame and indefensible one.
I would agree to that. I don't know if it's bc of the strict mormom sub-culture or his own personal experiences, but his writings show him to be a fan to take the path of pain.
Proto-Elezaic