Conreligion Fundamentalism

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Solarius
roman
roman

Conreligion Fundamentalism

Post by Solarius »

In your conreligions, are there any fundamentalist movements?
Ànradh
roman
roman

Re: Conreligion Fundamentalism

Post by Ànradh »

Solarius wrote:In your conreligions, are there any fundamentalist movements?
Not as yet, no.
The only religion I've really detailed at all is a small tribe's specific beliefs and since there's been next to no outside contact at this point, and their written tradition is only starting, the factors that might birth a fundamentalist movement really aren't present.

One of the main antagonists in the story is going to cause more than a little friction with established religions (much later in the timeline than where I'm currently working) but that has more to do with him than the theists. I imagine he may provoke a fundamentalist movement or two though; we'll see.
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.
zelos
greek
greek

Post by zelos »

I hate fundamentalism D:

But it did provoke a question,
Can there be fundamentalism of the core tenets of the religion is moderation and being self-critical?
Visit the growing Conlang Wiki!
Let's Play Channel: EmperorZelos
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

Of course. Fundamentalism just means "sticking to the core tenets of a religion regardless of anything".

Fundementalism is not inherently bad. It's just that most of the most practiced real-life religions have....very primitive and backwards tenets.
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
rickardspaghetti
roman
roman

Post by rickardspaghetti »

zelos wrote:I hate fundamentalism D:

Can there be fundamentalism of the core tenets of the religion is moderation and being self-critical?
Those fundamentalists would look really different from what we're used to then. If the fundamentals of a religion are good, the fundamentalists will be good too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNndF8RP ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLiku08FlRg
そうだ。死んでいる人も勃起することが出来る。
俺はその証だ。
Spoiler:
Ǧ Š Ȟ Ž Č

ǧ š ŋ ȟ ž č
:swe: [:D] :vgtl: [:D] :eng: [:)] :ita: [:|] :lkt: [:'(]
zelos
greek
greek

Post by zelos »

rickardspaghetti wrote:
zelos wrote:I hate fundamentalism D:

Those fundamentalists would look really different from what we're used to then. If the fundamentals of a religion are good, the fundamentalists will be good too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNndF8RP ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLiku08FlRg
Agreed, sadly those we are used to dont have that.

I try making my religions core being good
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

I just solved it by having most of my con-religions be Atheistic.

In Techaria, most religions are some form of Atheistic Animism/Spiritualism.
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

Chagen wrote:

State Shinto.
Ànradh
roman
roman

Post by Ànradh »

I try not to let my opinions get in the way of creating a believable society.
I may also point out that even your average fundamentalist Christian doesn't believe in stoning disobedient children (those that do would probably be whack-jobs no matter what their faith), so having a fundamentalist group doesn't necessarily mean that they need to be evil, even if some of their tenants could be construed as such.
And, as others have noted, the fundamentals could also be rather enlightened.

To actually note what my opinion is; I dislike fundamentalism, irrespective of its aparant nobility/cruelty, because it encourages adherence to a set of ideals without regards to circumstance or differing perspective. Again though, simply because I don't like it, doesn't mean it's always a bad thing and even if it was, it wouldn't stop me putting it into a conworld.
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.
zelos
greek
greek

Post by zelos »

Lodhas wrote:To actually note what my opinion is; I dislike fundamentalism, irrespective of its aparant nobility/cruelty, because it encourages adherence to a set of ideals without regards to circumstance or differing perspective. Again though, simply because I don't like it, doesn't mean it's always a bad thing and even if it was, it wouldn't stop me putting it into a conworld.
I second this
Chagen wrote:

that removes nothing =/
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

How does it remove nothing? Most religions that have crazy beliefs are Thetistic religions. No gods=no belief that some higher being is commanding you to kill thousands just fo having different beliefs or some other stupid shit like that.
rickardspaghetti
roman
roman

Chagen wrote:How does it remove nothing? Most religions that have crazy beliefs are Thetistic religions. No gods=no belief that some higher being is commanding you to kill thousands just fo having different beliefs or some other stupid shit like that.
Having no gods doesn't eliminate dogma, nor does having no religion at all. There can be dogma in political ideologies too, even those who are antireligious.
そうだ。死んでいる人も勃起することが出来る。
俺はその証だ。
Spoiler:
Ǧ Š Ȟ Ž Č

ǧ š ŋ ȟ ž č
vampireshark
sinic
sinic

Post by vampireshark »

rickardspaghetti wrote:
Chagen wrote:How does it remove nothing? Most religions that have crazy beliefs are Thetistic religions. No gods=no belief that some higher being is commanding you to kill thousands just fo having different beliefs or some other stupid shit like that.
Having no gods doesn't eliminate dogma, nor does having no religion at all. There can be dogma in political ideologies too, even those who are antireligious.
Precisely. Fundamentalism isn't just limited to religion, but also to politics and, for the most part, other systems involving belief systems of some kind.

As for the topic, the one conreligion that I've developed in some detail doesn't really have fundamentalism present. This is because the religion is so, well, crazy as-is that there really isn't need for fundamentalism. Plus, any dissension from the official dogma, catchecism, or doctrine results in the punishment of immolation of the dissenter and three generations of their family upon a pyre.
And I'll dance with you in Vienna,
I'll be wearing a river's disguise;
The hyacinth wild on my shoulder,
My mouth on the dew of your thigh...

Looking for subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.
rickardspaghetti
roman
roman

vampireshark wrote:
rickardspaghetti wrote:
Precisely. Fundamentalism isn't just limited to religion, but also to politics and, for the most part, other systems involving belief systems of some kind.

As for the topic, the one conreligion that I've developed in some detail doesn't really have fundamentalism present. This is because the religion is so, well, crazy as-is that there really isn't need for fundamentalism. Plus, any dissension from the official dogma, catchecism, or doctrine results in the punishment of immolation of the dissenter and three generations of their family upon a pyre.
I'm guessing they're all fundamentalists by default, but you would not refer to them as such because you don't need to?
そうだ。死んでいる人も勃起することが出来る。
俺はその証だ。
Spoiler:
Ǧ Š Ȟ Ž Č

ǧ š ŋ ȟ ž č
Trailsend

Post by Trailsend »

rickardspaghetti wrote:I'm guessing they're all fundamentalists by default, but you would not refer to them as such because you don't need to?
Yeah, I didn't reply to the OP because the notion of "fundamentalism" doesn't really make sense without a corresponding "modernist" movement to oppose it.
(it/they)
任何事物的发展都是物极必反,否极泰来。
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Trailsend wrote:
rickardspaghetti wrote:I'm guessing they're all fundamentalists by default, but you would not refer to them as such because you don't need to?
Yeah, I didn't reply to the OP because the notion of "fundamentalism" doesn't really make sense without a corresponding "modernist" movement to oppose it.
Same. It doesn't really make sense in conreligions that don't have multiple opposing interpretations, like all of mine. I prefer making lots of small but separate religions rather than a single large religion with dozens of variants and reformations.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
mbrsart
sinic
sinic

Post by mbrsart »

My conreligions tend not to have any sects, unless you count the human-supportive xarisans who disagree with their religion's prime directive (essentially to enslave the galaxy). Maybe I'm just lazy. I do have a large number of irreligious people on Hra, but most people are fairly devout. If you look at history, crazy beliefs about killing infidels (be those infidels Christian or Muslim) come from perversions of the core beliefs. I hate the term "fundamentalism" because "fundamentalist" Christians would be living frugally, helping others without any thought of reward, and saying, "No matter who you are, there is hope for you to get into heaven." I don't mean to wax philosophical, but many antitheists don't understand what Christianity really should be.
:con: Hra'anh | :eng: [:D] | :esp: [:)] | :grc: [:|] | :heb: [:|] | :epo: [:S] | :deu: [:S] | :ita: [:S] | :bra: [:'(] | :fra: [:'(]
Systemzwang
greek
greek

Post by Systemzwang »

You'll find any number of crazy beliefs among non-theistic religions as well, it's just here in the west, we're not that familiar with the crazier movements in buddhism and such.
thetha
mayan
mayan

Post by thetha »

My conpeople, the Kàmo, consider oceans and large rivers to be holy, and pretty much worship some fish, regarding them as spirits or magical creatures. Some of the more pious members of the society will refuse to eat any fish or water-dwelling creatures because they are so special. They might even refuse to go to a feast where fish is being served. I don't have much in the way of fundamentalism other than that, mostly because the Kàmo are an ancient-styled culture; that is, they haven't been defined as a civilization for a relatively long amount of time.
Rik
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Rik »

Solarius wrote:In your conreligions, are there any fundamentalist movements?
Yeah - the Jaesconesh (old spelling) are pretty hardcore, to the point of exclusion and warfare. They started out here, and ended up here.