Which do you prefer for your world: low tech or higher tech?

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
language-taster
rupestrian
rupestrian

Which do you prefer for your world: low tech or higher tech?

Post by language-taster »

My own tentatively developing world has pre-industrial tech. It's not exactly fantasy, as it is almost completely adherent to the known laws of physics. Is your world's tech roughly on the same level, or is it more advanced? And why, specifically, do you like that tech level?
I sometimes wish I had synesthesia.
zelos
greek
greek

Re: Which do you prefer for your world: low tech or higher t

Post by zelos »

I prefer higher tech for the simple reason it offers more opperunities for divergences.
Visit the growing Conlang Wiki!
Let's Play Channel: EmperorZelos
Avjunza
sinic
sinic

Post by Avjunza »

Low tech. The Stone Age, Bronze Age and Iron Age are my favourites (and hey, they cover most of human history). I've got one conworld where it's in the Renaissance, but that's about as high tech as I like.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

zelos wrote:I prefer higher tech for the simple reason it offers more opperunities for divergences.
You can create such setting differences in other ways: By making the world itself different (who says it has to be a boring-old earth-clone?), or just by, you know, having a creatively made Conculture. You can have all sorts of fun with weird social institutions without introducing a single hovercar.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

I range from modern-day urban fantasy (sometimes with a dieselpunk style) to super-advanced Cyber Punk.

Most of my conworlds have things like computers, cars, guns, and the like alongside magic. No hovercars or teleportation devices (except with magic). The only low-tech I've done is Sense Wnet Out to Lunch. Which is a farce and a parody of high fantasy anyway.
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

Low tech. It's easier for me to manage.
thaen
roman
roman

Post by thaen »

Low tech...more fun. And, I also have to agree with Ossicone. Besides, cyber-tech isn't my style.
:con: Nillahimma
:con: Øð!
:con: Coneylang

I am the Great Rabbit. Fear me, O Crabs!
Spoiler:
ı θ ð ʃ ɲ ŋ ʔ ɛ ə ø ʑ ɕ ʷ ʲ ⁿ
Curlyjimsam
sinic
sinic

Post by Curlyjimsam »

My world's "present" state has a level of technology broadly comparable to the real world, but I do a lot of work on past eras too, when technological advancement was less - though I only tend to go back to around Iron Age-level most of the time. In theory, there's nothing to stop me developing the "future" of the world - but as I like to keep things pretty realistic, and I obviously have no reliable models for futuristic technology, I've avoided that so far.
The Man in the Blackened House, a conworld-based serialised web-novel
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

thaen wrote:Low tech...more fun. And, I also have to agree with Ossicone. Besides, cyber-tech isn't my style.

Modern-Day Tech is far more fun. There's tons of technology to use (the internet, cars, computers, etc) and you don't have to be restricted to a fairly limited set of morals (1500s-1600 people were not exactly known for trying to be individuals).

I can't really understand why 99% of all conworlders suck Mediviel Europe's dick so much. The only reason people do so is because Tolkien did it first.
Ànradh
roman
roman

Post by Ànradh »

Low tech bases give me enough detail to be pedantic over, aside from which, I enjoy primitive cultures.
The speculative far future of my conworld does have a sci-fi setting, but the tech' isn't all that flashy. Laser weapons are short ranged in the atmosphere, can't be seen from the side and hit their targets instantly. Antimatter weapons simply don't exist, nor does FTL travel (though interdimensional travel is possible, though there isn't any real cause for it and it's magical in nature...) etc.

In essence, I guess I like both equally but then I'm the kind of guy who pulls (simple) things apart and puts them back together again just to find out how they work.
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.
thaen
roman
roman

Post by thaen »

Chagen wrote:
thaen wrote:Low tech...more fun. And, I also have to agree with Ossicone. Besides, cyber-tech isn't my style.

Modern-Day Tech is far more fun. There's tons of technology to use (the internet, cars, computers, etc) and you don't have to be restricted to a fairly limited set of morals (1500s-1600 people were not exactly known for trying to be individuals).

I can't really understand why 99% of all conworlders suck Mediviel Europe's dick so much. The only reason people do so is because Tolkien did it first.
You don't have to be restricted to a set of morals simply because of low-tech. There's plenty of diversity, you just have to think outside the box a little. :/
I personally liked Medieval before I did much Tolkien. Besides, it leaves for a much more "realistic" feel, unlike space travel and stuff. Doing modern-tech seems a little boring, since we live in it daily. I am not trying to bang on high-tech. I mean, I like sci-fi and stuff, but I don't conworld in it, usually.

Also, you seem to be a fan of absolute, 100% statements, and that can make for plenty of stupid arguments. (well, that pretty much goes without saying, given your history.)

Spoiler:
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

[quoteDoing modern-tech seems a little boring, since we live in it daily.[/quote]

Not really. My modern-day conworlds usually have magic (making them Urban Fantasy) or just go for a Dieselpunk asthetic.

Also, the main reason I love high-tech is that I love the super-slick look of modern day Sci-Fi, with the whole "Ipod asthetic" of minimalism (and way too much neon everywhere).
thaen
roman
roman

Post by thaen »

Chagen wrote:[quoteDoing modern-tech seems a little boring, since we live in it daily.
Not really. My modern-day conworlds usually have magic (making them Urban Fantasy) or just go for a Dieselpunk asthetic.

Also, the main reason I love high-tech is that I love the super-slick look of modern day Sci-Fi, with the whole "Ipod asthetic" of minimalism (and way too much neon everywhere).[/quote]

I do like the slick look, but sometimes that is abused. Anyhow, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Spoiler:
cybrxkhan
roman
roman

Post by cybrxkhan »

In terms of conworlding, I like everything. Being most interested in conhistory, I enjoy seeing the progression or lack thereof - and the bounce back and forth between various "states" of "technology" (of course, this not being earth, things proceed differently).
I now have a blog. Witness the horror.

I think I think, therefore I think I am.
- Ambrose Bierce
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Chagen wrote:Modern-Day Tech is far more fun. There's tons of technology to use (the internet, cars, computers, etc) and you don't have to be restricted to a fairly limited set of morals (1500s-1600 people were not exactly known for trying to be individuals).
1. The technology level of a conculture has absolutely nothing to do with that culture's morals. You don't need to make your people seem like they're fresh out of the Dung Ages just because they don't have electricity.

2. Part of the fun of conworlding is making a place that's vastly different from our own. How did friends talk to each other before the dawn of the cell phone? The answer is not "they didn't." Including gaps means you have to create interesting ways for people to work around these gaps.

3. Finally, there's the avenue of alternative solutions to the problems that modern-day technology was invented to solve. What if we invented the airplane before the automobile and everyone flew to work everyday in little biplanes? What if love potions actually worked and nobody needed dating sites anymore?
I can't really understand why 99% of all conworlders suck Mediviel Europe's dick so much.
The ones who think civilization comes in 4 forms: Modern Day, Medieval Europe, Ancient Rome/Greece (they're indistinguishable), and Cannibalistic Barbarians. They're blind to the possibilities.

My shitty twitter
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

How could they forget the Mayans? [:'(]
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Ossicone wrote:How could they forget the Mayans? [:'(]
They didn't: They're included in "Cannibalistic Barbarians" along with the Sumerians, the Egyptians, the ancient Chinese...

My shitty twitter
Solarius
roman
roman

Post by Solarius »

cybrxkhan wrote:In terms of conworlding, I like everything. Being most interested in conhistory, I enjoy seeing the progression or lack thereof - and the bounce back and forth between various "states" of "technology" (of course, this not being earth, things proceed differently).
[+1] [+1] [+1] [+1] [+1]
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

Micamo wrote:
Ossicone wrote:How could they forget the Mayans? [:'(]
They didn't: They're included in "Cannibalistic Barbarians" along with the Sumerians, the Egyptians, the ancient Chinese...
Of course. Silly me...
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

What if we invented the airplane before the automobile and everyone flew to work everyday in little biplanes? What if love potions actually worked and nobody needed dating sites anymore?
1: Not gonna happen. Just look at how much training and licensing you need to get a simple Pilot's license in real life. You cannot simple trust modern day average civilians with a personal aircraft. Also a world without cars is not a world I want to live in.

2: Love Potions are basically liquid rape, so....