ADANEWs

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
HoskhMatriarch
roman
roman

ADANEWs

Post by HoskhMatriarch »

Post your best ADANEWs here.

My most recent ADANEW is probably not that impressive. I just noticed once that in English and especially in German people will sometimes end their questions with "or", sometimes without changing the syntax or anything, like "You are going to the store, or...?" So, I thought, I'll make a question particle that's the same as the word for or, because that seems really reasonable somehow, and maybe I'll make it into an affix, but I really don't want to use some sort of ridiculous construction where people have to say things like »tesarnsolännḷnse tesarnsolännḷnżorse?« (that only works well when your verbs can't get quite as long IMO, and if you think that's bad, the ones with incorporated compounds or even just more roots and interfixes than the measly 2 roots and one interfix of that one are worse). As it turns out, the word "or" is the most common source of (at least sentence-final) question particles, so I wasn't being very original at all.
No darkness can harm you if you are guided by your own inner light
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Re: ADANEWs

Post by DesEsseintes »

I believe it's ANADEW.

A Natlang Already Does Even Worse

Or

A Natlang Already Does, Except Worse

Or similar.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

DesEsseintes wrote:

I believe it's ANADEW.

Or

Or similar.
A Natlang already does, except weirder.

Desssss
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

qwed117 wrote:
DesEsseintes wrote:

I believe it's ANADEW.

Or

Or similar.
A Natlang already does, except weirder.

Desssss
We're speaking English here, not Qwedspeak.

Christ
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

DISHASHTA SHALL NEVER BE ANA-wait, what? You're telling me Hebrew does that?
Well, nothing as weird as Dishashta.
Edit: It's so lovely, how in my phone it actually renders the size 5 text as size 5.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

The SqwedgePad
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa »

HoskhMatriarch wrote:Post your best ADANEWs here.

My most recent ADANEW is probably not that impressive. I just noticed once that in English and especially in German people will sometimes end their questions with "or", sometimes without changing the syntax or anything, like "You are going to the store, or...?" So, I thought, I'll make a question particle that's the same as the word for or, because that seems really reasonable somehow, and maybe I'll make it into an affix, but I really don't want to use some sort of ridiculous construction where people have to say things like »tesarnsolännḷnse tesarnsolännḷnżorse?« (that only works well when your verbs can't get quite as long IMO, and if you think that's bad, the ones with incorporated compounds or even just more roots and interfixes than the measly 2 roots and one interfix of that one are worse). As it turns out, the word "or" is the most common source of (at least sentence-final) question particles, so I wasn't being very original at all.
Scandinavian too. It still sounds like a Swedicism in English to me tho. It doesn't sound genuine to me. Is it really that common in English? I can only really remember hearing it a couple of years ago when a Swedish friend of mine was speaking in English over the phone and I thought "geez, you can't do that in English!", precisely because I never hear it in English, at least not in the same way...
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

Prinsessa wrote:

Scandinavian too. It still sounds like a Swedicism in English to me tho. It doesn't sound genuine to me. Is it really that common in English? I can only really remember hearing it a couple of years ago when a Swedish friend of mine was speaking in English over the phone and I thought "geez, you can't do that in English!", precisely because I never hear it in English, at least not in the same way...
I'm a native English speaker, and I sometimes do it, especially in text.
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

I would do it in English, but I'm pretty sure I would phrase it as a question rather than a statement, i.e. "Are you going to the store, or...?"
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

clawgrip wrote:I would do it in English, but I'm pretty sure I would phrase it as a question rather than a statement, i.e. "Are you going to the store, or...?"
I would usually say "Are you going to the store, or what?". If I were to end it with just the or, then I'm describing a less satisfying outcome.

"Are you going to the store, or...[the brothel? the slums?]"
Spoiler:

The SqwedgePad
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

The implication I think is more like "Are you going to the store, or should I go instead?"
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

Prinsessa wrote:

Yes, it's very common. However, it's much less common than I gather it is in German. It's not a standard question-forming tag, like innit. And in English, it's usually still treated as a gap - it's not just been lexicalised as a question former, there's actually an impression that we're waiting for the end of the sentence. If I say "so are you going, or...?", my intonation will be that there's more to come, and if I say anything else it'll be after a pause. It will often be accompanied by marked body language - raised eyebrows, tilt of the head, sometime even the hand gesture for "and what do you do/say now?"

So it's much less a grammaticalised/lexicalised part of the language than I think it is in other German languages. But in practice, it's still something that happens frequently.
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

That's right, I think it really needs body language to show that I don't intend to finish the sentence.
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

clawgrip wrote:I would do it in English, but I'm pretty sure I would phrase it as a question rather than a statement, i.e. "Are you going to the store, or...?"
Same for me.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

I use that construction when playing Magic: the Gathering a lot, a game in which it isn't immediately obvious when someone's turn is over, so I say: "My turn?" or maybe, "It's my turn, or...(are you going to do anything else)?"
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa »

Salmoneus wrote:
Prinsessa wrote:

Yes, it's very common. However, it's much less common than I gather it is in German. It's not a standard question-forming tag, like innit. And in English, it's usually still treated as a gap - it's not just been lexicalised as a question former, there's actually an impression that we're waiting for the end of the sentence. If I say "so are you going, or...?", my intonation will be that there's more to come, and if I say anything else it'll be after a pause. It will often be accompanied by marked body language - raised eyebrows, tilt of the head, sometime even the hand gesture for "and what do you do/say now?"

So it's much less a grammaticalised/lexicalised part of the language than I think it is in other German languages. But in practice, it's still something that happens frequently.
Yeah, that's what I meant when I said "at least not in the same way".