Quick Diachronics Challenge

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
conlang-creature
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Re: Quick Diachronics Challenge

Post by conlang-creature »

I'm thinking about *aɹ̠˔tə˥, but this would make three guesses in a row, so take it or leave it.

Reasoning:
Spoiler:
ə: whatever this vowel is has to be able to turn into a and ʉ, this is a good middle ground
ɹ̠˔: there are three ways this consonant changes: s, ɬ, and l. The IPA points overwhelmingly to the 6 sounds in the dental to post-alveolar section. After some deliberation, I decided that ɹ̠˔ sounded the most likely to transform as such.
A word a day keeps the scrapping away!
Current Record: 178
:usa: [:3]
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

conlang-creature wrote: 22 Apr 2024 18:54 I'm thinking about *aɹ̠˔tə˥, but this would make three guesses in a row, so take it or leave it.

Reasoning:
Spoiler:
ə: whatever this vowel is has to be able to turn into a and ʉ, this is a good middle ground
ɹ̠˔: there are three ways this consonant changes: s, ɬ, and l. The IPA points overwhelmingly to the 6 sounds in the dental to post-alveolar section. After some deliberation, I decided that ɹ̠˔ sounded the most likely to transform as such.
conlang-creature:
Spoiler:
Almost perfect ─ same issue as Visions, that the first consonant isn't quite correct. I'm not quite sure what advice I should give to both of you, but Visions is correct that it's a geminate, and in fact, their most recent guess is an existing intermediate form. My biggest hint to you is that in [es.ttaː], it's not just the /s/ that is a reflex of it, but also the first /t/.
At this point it feels like the end of last round, where it's essentially guesswork. If others agree, it might be a good idea to end the round here, in which case the following ranking would apply:

1. Visions
2. thethief3
2. conlang-creature
4. Sketch
5. Creyeditor
6. VaptuantaDoi

thethief and conlang-creature are essentially tied by my judgement.
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra Hóubenk
my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Since it's been over a week since the last guess was made, and it's basically becoming guesswork, I'm officially ending this round, with Visions as the winner!

The actual protoform was aθːtə˥.
Spoiler:
The initial /h/ in some forms is areal prosthesis.

The first vowel underwent areal fronting to /æ/ or /e/.

In the first four languages, *θ became *ɬ. In the first, it then became *l; in the second and third, the *ɬt metathesized to *tɬ; in the third, the *tɬ subsequently underwent intervocalic voicing. The fourth split from the third and also underwent devoicing (*dɮ → *tɬ) and epenthesis (*tɬ → *taɬ).
Meanwhile, in the fifth language, *θ became *t in the onset and *s in the coda; and in the sixth language, it became *s in all circumstances.

The final vowel was lost in the third and fourth languages; its high tone was replaced by length in the first and fifth languages; and it raised and rounded to something like *ʊ̈ and then became *ʉ due to its length in the first language; and in the second and sixth languages, it lowered to something around *ɐ, then fronted in the second language.

I didn't write this very well, so if anyone has any questions/doesn't understand part of it, just ask me
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra Hóubenk
my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her