A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
zyma
korean
korean

Re: Quick Diachronics Challenge

Post by zyma »

Response to Arayaz's second attempt: 
Spoiler:
Many thanks again for your patience and continued interest in playing. I've tried to be pretty forthcoming with information here, but please feel free to ask for clarification on anything if needed.
Arayaz wrote: 01 Sep 2023 00:15 *gʲoisnr̩wif
I'm afraid that you're still off in terms of syllable structure and the number of syllables. Your previous reconstruction of the initial consonant, [ʝ-], was closer to what I had in mind, [j-]. There are no syllabic consonants, but there is an [-r-]. Also, there's a segment missing between [-o-] and the first instance of [-i-]. Overall, ignoring stress marking, [jo-i-n-r-w-] is correct. 
Arayaz wrote: 01 Sep 2023 00:15 Northern languages begin with something followed by /i/. The nasalization in NW & W = the /n/ in N & NE.
If you mean that the nucleus of the initial syllable is [-i-], I'm afraid that's not correct. What I have in mind is [CVi̯-]. You're right about the nasalization, though. 
Arayaz wrote: 01 Sep 2023 00:15 The ancestor of the northern languages probably began with a semivowel, likely rounded, that could also become /ə/ or palatalize to /ʝ/. I'll propose *ɥ there, but that's tentative.
It was not rounded, and the [əi̯-] in N is not due to the influence of the original initial consonant. 
Arayaz wrote: 01 Sep 2023 00:15 The h- of C is a clue. Perhaps *ʍ or something?
I'm afraid it's more like an unintentional red herring. The [h-] in C is epenthetic, a later development following the loss of the original initial consonant. 
Arayaz wrote: 01 Sep 2023 00:15 I'll say something like *?in'do:. Not sure where the length in NE comes from though. (The question mark is a question, not a glottal stop.)
I'm afraid that's pretty far off from what I have in mind for Proto-NW/N/NE/W/C. Regarding NE, if you mean "length" as in the number of syllables (the overall length of the word), I'll say that this language is actually conservative in that regard. 
Arayaz wrote: 01 Sep 2023 00:15 (As for NE, I'll say the wa: is breaking of *o:, the l is from *d, and the ʊ is epenthesis.
I have [-oə̯] > [-waː]. You're right about the [-l-] being an innovation, although it doesn't come from an earlier [-d-]. [-ʊ-] is not epenthetic. 
Arayaz wrote: 01 Sep 2023 00:15 W jãĩ.'roə is likely just i: > ai and the same breaking as N and the same d > r as NW.
There was no vowel breaking in W, although there was one instance in N. As for [-d-] > [-r-], it's actually the reverse. 
Arayaz wrote: 01 Sep 2023 00:15 E ɟ- suggests some other palatal for the *?. I'll update my suspicion to *g or maybe *gʷ or *gʲ. We see the same breaking, too. Why the *N is ɲ and voiceless is a mystery to me.
I'm afraid that there was no vowel breaking in E. The voiceless palatal nasal is related to the medial voiceless obstruents in SW, S, and SE. 
Arayaz wrote: 01 Sep 2023 00:15 Perhaps *gin'to: instead?
Arayaz wrote: 01 Sep 2023 00:15 Now, using what you told me in the response to my last guess, I'll update to *gʲoin'to:. The *w you told me was present will be found later.
Unfortunately, these are still very far off.
Arayaz wrote: 01 Sep 2023 00:15 SW has stress on the nœ:, but I doubt it's from *do:, especially as it's followed by something else. Definitely vowel harmony of some sort happening, probably frontness.
You're right about the vowel harmony in SW. 
Arayaz wrote: 01 Sep 2023 00:15 SW d- is from *gʲ > *dʒ > d. The ø is from *oi, in one of many possible ways. The s is weird, and I don't know what it might come from. The *t definitely became the r, unless affixation is involved. The y is from *o: > *u and getting fronted by the harmony. The œ: is also inexplicable, at least for now.
I have [j-] > [ɟ-] > [d-] for the initial consonant, but I'd say you're close enough there. [-ø-] does not come from [-oi̯-], but they are related. I have [-ç-] instead of [-s-] on my end, so I'll say that [-øç-] in one branch corresponds to [-oi̯-] in the other, both descending from earlier [-oCi-]. Here, [-o-] was fronted by the adjacent palatal consonants. Unfortunately, the [-t-] in S is unrelated to the [-r-] in NW, W, and SW. However, no affixation or anything like that is involved. Although [-oː] > [-u] isn't really accurate, an earlier [-u] was fronted to [-y] in SW due to vowel harmony. 
Arayaz wrote: 01 Sep 2023 00:15 S z- is from *gʲ > *dʒ > ʒ > z. The ɔ is from *oi, losing the offglide, and *o > ɔ is definitely not the least believable sound change I've invoked here.
I have [j-] > [ɟ-] > [ʑ-] > [z-], but I'd say you're close enough again. The diphthong [-oi̯-] did not develop in this branch, though you're right about [-o-] > [-ɔ-].
Arayaz wrote: 01 Sep 2023 00:15 The s is showing up again, so I'll add it to the protoform: *gʲoin'sto:.
Hopefully some of what I've said above will be helpful when it comes to making adjustments here. 
Arayaz wrote: 01 Sep 2023 00:15 The -rbi is also very odd.
[-b-] in S corresponds to [-f] in SE. 
Arayaz wrote: 01 Sep 2023 00:15 ~ And then he realized: the NW & W r wasn't from the *t.
Oh, yay!
Arayaz wrote: 01 Sep 2023 00:15 In light of this, NW -ru is definitely from what I'll guess is *rwi. I think the *r also becomes the d in N and C, and the NE l.
You're right about how [-r-] changes in those languages. While it's not exactly accurate to say that NW [-ru] comes from an earlier [-rwi], you're right about the segments [-r-w-] and the final front vowel, and there is indeed a correspondence between NW [-ru], N [-ˈdʉu̯], NE [-ʊˈlwaː], W [-ˈroə̯], C [-doː], E [-ɔu̯], SW [-œːry], S [-r̩bi], and SE [-ɛːf]. 
Arayaz wrote: 01 Sep 2023 00:15 So: *gʲoinrwi. (For the SW & S s, I'll just say it's from the *n somehow?) I find this a more plausible medium.
This may be the closest you've gotten so far!
Arayaz wrote: 01 Sep 2023 00:15 SW œ: = epenthesis + rounding harmony.
Epenthesis was not involved here. Vowel harmony was involved, I'd say, but the relevant feature was backness, not rounding.
Arayaz wrote: 01 Sep 2023 00:15 *w > b in S.
Yes!
Arayaz wrote: 01 Sep 2023 00:15 SE ʑ is obviously from *gʲ. The tɕ is strange, probably related to the -st- in S. ɛ: is *wi > *oi > *e: > ɛ:, with some sort of -ATR in unstressed syllables. The -f I can't explain. Probably an affix. But, I'll say there was a *f at the end, which was lost in most cases but remained in SE.
I have [j-] > [ɟ-] > [ʑ-] for SE. [-t͡ɕ-] does indeed correspond to [-st-] in S. I'm afraid you're really far off-base with regards to [-ɛː-]. There was no affixation of any kind in any of the nine languages. 
Arayaz wrote: 01 Sep 2023 00:15 A last-minute decision to add in a *s in before the *n.
There was a voiceless obstruent before the [-n-], but not immediately adjacent to it, and not [-s-].
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
ɶʙ ɞʛ
greek
greek

Post by ɶʙ ɞʛ »

Third attempt: (sorry for the delay, much of it was due to real life events)

NW [ˈwĩːru] - N [əi̯nˈdʉu̯] - NE [ˌʝiːnʊˈlwaː]
W [jãĩ̯ˈroə̯] - C [ˈhei̯ndoː] - E [ɟeˈɲ̊ɔu̯]
SW [døsˈnœːry] - S [ˈzɔstr̩bi] - SE [ˈʑot͡ɕɛːf]

NW [ˈwĩːru] - N [əi̯nˈdʉu̯]
NW/N - [wei̯nru: ~ wei̯nrʉ:]

NE [ˌʝiːnʊˈlwaː] - W [jãĩ̯ˈroə̯] - C [ˈhei̯ndoː]
NE/W/C - [ɣei̯nəroə̯]

NW/N [wei̯nru: ~ wei̯nrʉ:] - NE/W/C [ɣei̯nəroə̯]
NW/N/NE/W/C - [wei̯nəroi̯]

E [ɟeˈɲ̊ɔu̯] - SW [døsˈnœːry]
E/SW - [ɟøɕˈnɔry ~ ɟøɕˈnɔru]

S [ˈzɔstr̩bi] - SE [ˈʑot͡ɕɛːf]
S/SE - [ʑoɕtarvi]

E/SW [ɟøɕˈnɔry ~ ɟøɕˈnɔru] - S/SE [ʑoɕtarvi]
E/SW/S/SE - [ɟoɕnarwe]

NW/N/NE/W/C [wei̯nəroi̯] - E/SW/S/SE [ɟoɕnarwe]
Protoform: [johinarwe]. Odd vowel shift from here to proto-north, we > oi̯ and jo > we simultaneously.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Is this round still going to continue? I had an idea for a new challenge that I could post, if people were okay with it.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Creyeditor wrote: 21 Feb 2024 15:18 Is this round still going to continue? I had an idea for a new challenge that I could post, if people were okay with it.
I've been hoping that you, sangi39, Arayaz, or even someone who hasn't participated before would submit another guess. When there's only one person still left playing at the end of the round, I feel like their victory isn't as "satisfying" as it could be. [:S] Of course, that's not to say that ɶʙ ɞʛ hasn't done very well.

Anyway, I guess it has been quite a while. If no one posts here in the thread or messages me directly expressing a desire to give it another go by the end of this week, I'll post the "answers". ɶʙ ɞʛ would be the winner of this round, so unless they'd like to pass, it would be their turn next.
(she)
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

That sounds like a good idea.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Just a heads-up that it looks like I'm going to be rather busy over the next few days, so I may not be able to post the results until Wednesday. My apologies for the delay.
(she)
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

No worries [:)]
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

I plan to make another attempt soon. Unfortunately real life is presenting some resistance.
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Ruykkarraber family Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra Makihip-ŋAħual family Abisj
my garbage

she/her
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Creyeditor wrote: 24 Feb 2024 17:53 No worries [:)]
Your patience is greatly appreciated!
Arayaz wrote: 24 Feb 2024 22:14 I plan to make another attempt soon. Unfortunately real life is presenting some resistance.
Thank you for letting us know. I'll try to announce the final results of this round ASAP once you're able to do so.
(she)
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Hmm....

My guess is uncomfortably close to my previous (incorrect) ones, but I don't really have time to edit it further, so here we go!

Guess:
Spoiler:
*joisnʊterwi
Reasoning:
Spoiler:
Okay. Let's go. I'm gonna start by making some groupings.

N & C seems obvious, and NE & E.

The ancestor of N & C was probably along the lines of [əindoː]. Vowel breaking gave us N, whereas prosthesis of /h-/ and a little vowel shift gave us C.
NW & W are probably closely related to that... if we take a form like [oinroː], we can get:
oinroː > winroː > winru > wĩːru (NW)
oinroː > ainroː > ainroə > ãĩroə > jãĩroə (W) *the j- is a bit of an issue, but ... hm...
oinroː > əinroː > əindoː > əindʉu (N)
oinroː > əinroː > əindoː > həindoː > heindoː (C)

Or maybe the fronting of the schwa in C has something to do with the W j-.
Shamelessly looking at the advice shimobaatar gave me before, *joinroː is my new idea.

joinroː > jwinroː > winroː > winru > wĩːru (NW)
joinroː > jainroː > jainroə > jãĩroə (W)
joinroː > jəinroː > əinroː > əindoː > əindʉu (N)
joinroː > jeinroː > einroː > eindoː > heindoː (C)

NE & E seem pretty obviously connected to this, too.

Maybe:

joinroː > jeinroː > jinroː > ʝinroː > ʝinloː > ʝinlwaː > ʝinʊlwaː (NE)
joinroː > jeinroː > ɟeinroː > ɟeɲroː > ɟeɲoː > ɟeɲɔu (E)

But I have help from shimobaatar and no honor, and I know that /ʊ/ was not epenthesis. And that there wasn't *oː, but *oə.
Thus I update:
*joinʊroə

Still uncomfortably close to my previous guesses.

And now for the south.
Let's go....

SW has vowel harmony, annoyingly.
The initial consonants in all of them are from some fortition of *j.

The voiceless obstruents in the south, a little bird tells me, are related to the fact that E has a voiceless nasal.

*ɟosterwi seems reasonable as an ancestor of the south.
So *joinʊroə and *ɟosterwi ...

*joisnʊterwi

Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Ruykkarraber family Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra Makihip-ŋAħual family Abisj
my garbage

she/her
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

I just wanted to confirm that I've seen Arayaz's latest attempt. I'll try to post the answers/results for this round and respond more properly to the final guesses soon, once I'm a bit less busy with IRL stuff.
(she)
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Response to ɶʙ ɞʛ's third attempt:
Spoiler:
ɶʙ ɞʛ wrote: 13 Dec 2023 21:05 Third attempt: (sorry for the delay, much of it was due to real life events)
Absolutely no worries at all, of course. I can certainly relate to getting distracted by real-life events, as evidenced by the fact that I'm only just now responding to this in March.

Anyway, all of your groupings are correct!
ɶʙ ɞʛ wrote: 13 Dec 2023 21:05 NW [ˈwĩːru] - N [əi̯nˈdʉu̯]
NW/N - [wei̯nru: ~ wei̯nrʉ:]
Not bad at all! What I had in mind was [ˈui̯nruː].
ɶʙ ɞʛ wrote: 13 Dec 2023 21:05 NE [ˌʝiːnʊˈlwaː] - W [jãĩ̯ˈroə̯] - C [ˈhei̯ndoː]
NE/W/C - [ɣei̯nəroə̯]
Apart from [ɣ-] and the lack of stress marking, your reconstruction here is quite close! The form that I had in mind was [ˌjei̯nəˈroə̯].
ɶʙ ɞʛ wrote: 13 Dec 2023 21:05 NW/N [wei̯nru: ~ wei̯nrʉ:] - NE/W/C [ɣei̯nəroə̯]
NW/N/NE/W/C - [wei̯nəroi̯]
Here, I'm afraid that only [-i̯nə-r-] lines up with the form in my "answer key", [ˈjoi̯nəˌruwə], but it looks like that didn't hold you back very much in the long run!
ɶʙ ɞʛ wrote: 13 Dec 2023 21:05 E [ɟeˈɲ̊ɔu̯] - SW [døsˈnœːry]
E/SW - [ɟøɕˈnɔry ~ ɟøɕˈnɔru]
Well done! [ɟøçˈnɔru] is what I had in mind.
ɶʙ ɞʛ wrote: 13 Dec 2023 21:05 S [ˈzɔstr̩bi] - SE [ˈʑot͡ɕɛːf]
S/SE - [ʑoɕtarvi]
Again, great job! [ˈʑoɕtərβi] is what I had in mind here.
ɶʙ ɞʛ wrote: 13 Dec 2023 21:05 E/SW [ɟøɕˈnɔry ~ ɟøɕˈnɔru] - S/SE [ʑoɕtarvi]
E/SW/S/SE - [ɟoɕnarwe]
Fantastic! What I had in mind for this one was [ˈɟoçnarwe].
ɶʙ ɞʛ wrote: 13 Dec 2023 21:05 NW/N/NE/W/C [wei̯nəroi̯] - E/SW/S/SE [ɟoɕnarwe]
Protoform: [johinarwe].
Excellent work! You're incredibly close to the form I started with, [ˈjohiˌnaruˌwe].
ɶʙ ɞʛ wrote: 13 Dec 2023 21:05 Odd vowel shift from here to proto-north, we > oi̯ and jo > we simultaneously.
Looking at it like that, I agree that it seems a bit odd.

However, neither of these shifts took place in my version of Proto-North: [ˈjohiˌnaruˌwe] > [ˈjoi̯nəˌruwə].

Response to Arayaz's third attempt:
Spoiler:
Arayaz wrote: 05 Mar 2024 16:49 My guess is uncomfortably close to my previous (incorrect) ones, but I don't really have time to edit it further, so here we go!
Ah, I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have time to revise as much as you might have liked to. I know what that's like, I'm afraid. Thank you for submitting one least guess anyway!
Arayaz wrote: 05 Mar 2024 16:49 Guess: *joisnʊterwi
Not bad! You were definitely getting warming. The form that I had in mind was [ˈjohiˌnaruˌwe].
Arayaz wrote: 05 Mar 2024 16:49 N & C seems obvious, and NE & E.
Neither of these are correct, I'm afraid. The resemblance between N & C is partially due to later, areal influence. As for NE & E, they are not closely related.

The primary division in the family is between "Northern" NW, N, NE, W, & C and "Southern" E, SW, S, & SE. After that, the groupings are NW & N; NE, W, & C; E & SW; and S & SE.
Arayaz wrote: 05 Mar 2024 16:49 The ancestor of N & C was probably along the lines of [əindoː]. Vowel breaking gave us N, whereas prosthesis of /h-/ and a little vowel shift gave us C.
You're generally right about the sound changes here.
Arayaz wrote: 05 Mar 2024 16:49 NW & W are probably closely related to that... if we take a form like [oinroː], we can get:
oinroː > winroː > winru > wĩːru (NW)
oinroː > ainroː > ainroə > ãĩroə > jãĩroə (W) *the j- is a bit of an issue, but ... hm...
oinroː > əinroː > əindoː > əindʉu (N)
oinroː > əinroː > əindoː > həindoː > heindoː (C)
This is pretty close to what I have for Proto-NW-N, [ˈui̯nruː], and you're not far off with the sound changes leading to NW & N.

It's harder to comment on what you have for W and C since they don't quite fit here (see my notes on classification above), but I will say that, while [-ãĩ̯-] in W is an innovation, [j-] and [-oə̯] are not. You're right about the prothetic [h-] and [-nr-] > [-nd-] in C, but [-oː] is also an innovation of that language. Also, [-oi̯-] > [-ei̯-] is correct, but the most recent common ancestor of NE, W, and C also had [-ei̯-], and I don't think it's strictly necessary to reconstruct an intermediary stage of [-əi̯-]
Arayaz wrote: 05 Mar 2024 16:49 Or maybe the fronting of the schwa in C has something to do with the W j-.
Well, that wasn't exactly my intention.
Arayaz wrote: 05 Mar 2024 16:49 Shamelessly looking at the advice shimobaatar gave me before, *joinroː is my new idea.

joinroː > jwinroː > winroː > winru > wĩːru (NW)
joinroː > jainroː > jainroə > jãĩroə (W)
joinroː > jəinroː > əinroː > əindoː > əindʉu (N)
joinroː > jeinroː > einroː > eindoː > heindoː (C)
With the addition of [j-], you're slightly closer to the most recent common ancestor of these four languages (plus NE). I think that my notes above still generally apply, though.
Arayaz wrote: 05 Mar 2024 16:49 NE & E seem pretty obviously connected to this, too.

Maybe:

joinroː > jeinroː > jinroː > ʝinroː > ʝinloː > ʝinlwaː > ʝinʊlwaː (NE)
joinroː > jeinroː > ɟeinroː > ɟeɲroː > ɟeɲoː > ɟeɲɔu (E)

But I have help from shimobaatar and no honor, and I know that /ʊ/ was not epenthesis. And that there wasn't *oː, but *oə.
Thus I update:
*joinʊroə

Still uncomfortably close to my previous guesses.
It's not always easy to accurately read tone over text like this, so I apologize if I'm taking "shamelessly" and "no honor" too seriously, but I just want to make sure it's clear that looking at and making use of the feedback you've received on previous guesses to update and improve your reconstructions is exactly what you're supposed to do in this game, as far as I'm concerned. I think that some people even look at the feedback given to other participants.

Anyway, you're pretty much right about [-oi̯-] > [-ei̯-] > [-iː-], [j-] > [ʝ-], [-r-] > [-l-], and [-oə̯] > [-waː] in NW. As for [-ʊ-], I think I should have been clearer. The presence of a vowel in that position in NE was not the result of epenthesis, but the quality of that vowel being [-ʊ-] was an innovation due to the influence of [-w-] in the following syllable.

I'm afraid it's harder for me to comment on what you have for E here, since it actually belongs to the "Southern" group.

Overall, [joinʊroə] is pretty good! The form that I had in mind for the most recent common ancestor of NW, N, NE, W, and C was [ˈjoi̯nəˌruwə], and the form I had in mind for the most recent common ancestor of just NE, W, and C was [ˌjei̯nəˈroə̯].
Arayaz wrote: 05 Mar 2024 16:49 And now for the south.
Let's go....

SW has vowel harmony, annoyingly.
The initial consonants in all of them are from some fortition of *j.

The voiceless obstruents in the south, a little bird tells me, are related to the fact that E has a voiceless nasal.

*ɟosterwi seems reasonable as an ancestor of the south.
So *joinʊroə and *ɟosterwi ...

*joisnʊterwi
I'm sorry to hear that the vowel harmony in SW was an annoying complication. You're spot-on about the fortition of initial [j-], though.

[ɟosterwi] is definitely a reasonable guess! The form that I had in mind for the most recent common ancestor of E, SW, S, and SE was [ˈɟoçnarwe]. As for the voiceless nasal and voiceless obstruents, my thinking was [-çn-] > [-ɲ̊-] in E, [-çn-] > [-sn-] in SW, [-çn-] > [-ɕn̥-] > [-ɕt-] > [-st-] in S, and [-çn-] > [-ɕn̥-] > [-ɕt-] > [-t͡ɕ-] in SE.

This round goes to ɶʙ ɞʛ! As always, it's now up to them whether they'd like to provide the challenge for the next round or pass to someone else.

I want to thank everyone who participated for their continued interest in this game and especially for their patience.

For anyone who might be interested, here is the "answer key":
Spoiler:
shimobaatar wrote: 12 Jun 2023 20:27 NW [ˈwĩːru] - N [əi̯nˈdʉu̯] - NE [ˌʝiːnʊˈlwaː]
W [jãĩ̯ˈroə̯] - C [ˈhei̯ndoː] - E [ɟeˈɲ̊ɔu̯]
SW [døsˈnœːry] - S [ˈzɔstr̩bi] - SE [ˈʑot͡ɕɛːf]

C = central, E = eastern, N = northern, S = southern, W = western

This 3x3 arrangement is meant to serve as a very rough "map" of where these nine related languages are currently spoken, although any historical migrations that may have taken place within this area have not been indicated.

Stage 0: NW-N-NE-W-C-E-SW-S-E
Stage 1: NW-N-NE-W-C ("Northern") / E-SW-S-E ("Southern")
Stage 2: NW-N / NE-W-C // E-SW / S-SE
Stage 3: NW / N // NE / W / C /// E / SW // S / SE

Stage 0: [ˈjohiˌnaruˌwe]
Stage 1: [ˈjoi̯nəˌruwə] / [ˈɟoçnarwe]
Stage 2: [ˈui̯nruː] / [ˌjei̯nəˈroə̯] // [ɟøçˈnɔru] / [ˈʑoɕtərβi]
Stage 3: [ˈwĩːru] / [əi̯nˈdʉu̯] // [ˌʝiːnʊˈlwaː] / [jãĩ̯ˈroə̯] / [ˈhei̯ndoː] /// [ɟeˈɲ̊ɔu̯] / [døsˈnœːry] // [ˈzɔstr̩bi] / [ˈʑot͡ɕɛːf]

NW-N-NE-W-C-E-SW-S-E
[ˈjohiˌnaruˌwe]

/p t k/
/b d g/
/f s h/
/m n/
/l j w/
/r/

/i u/
/e o/
/a/

CV

Primary stress falls on the leftmost syllable of a word. All odd-numbered syllables following that receive secondary stress. Two stressed syllables cannot occur directly adjacent to one another within a word.

NW-N-NE-W-C ("Northern")
[ˈjoi̯nəˌruwə]
-[h] is lost intervocalically ([ˈjohiˌnaruˌwe] > [ˈjoiˌnaruˌwe])
-[ˈVi] > [ˈVi̯] ([ˈjoiˌnaruˌwe] > [ˈjoi̯ˌnaruˌwe])
-stress shifts to maintain rhythm ([ˈjoi̯ˌnaruˌwe] > [ˈjoi̯naˌruwe])
-unstressed vowels merge as [ə] ([ˈjoi̯naˌruwe] > [ˈjoi̯nəˌruwə])

NW-N
[ˈui̯nruː]
-[oi̯] > [ui̯] ([ˈjoi̯nəˌruwə] > [ˈjui̯nəˌruwə])
-[ə] is lost ([ˈjui̯nəˌruwə] > [ˈjui̯nˌruw])
-stress shifts to maintain rhythm ([ˈjui̯nˌruw] > [ˈjui̯nruw])
-[uw$] > [uː] ([ˈjui̯nruw] > [ˈjui̯nruː])
-[j] is lost initially ([ˈjui̯nruː] > [ˈui̯nruː])

NW
[ˈwĩːru]
-unstressed long vowels are shortened ([ˈui̯nruː] > [ˈui̯nru])
-[ui̯] > [wi] ([ˈui̯nru] > [ˈwinru])
-[VN$] > [Ṽː$] ([ˈwinru] > [ˈwĩːru])

N
[əi̯nˈdʉu̯]
-stress shifts so that the rightmost heavy syllable receives primary stress ([ˈui̯nruː] > [ui̯nˈruː])
-unstressed [V(i̯)] > [ə(i̯)] ([ui̯nˈruː] > [əi̯nˈruː])
-[nr] > [nd] ([əi̯nˈruː] > [əi̯nˈduː])
-[ˈuː] > [ˈʉu̯] ([əi̯nˈduː] > [əi̯nˈdʉu̯])

NE-W-C
[ˌjei̯nəˈroə̯]
-high vowels become mid when adjacent to [r] ([ˈjoi̯nəˌruwə] > [ˈjoi̯nəˌrowə])
-[oi̯] > [ei̯] ([ˈjoi̯nəˌrowə] > [ˈjei̯nəˌrowə])
-[w] is lost after rounded vowels ([ˈjei̯nəˌrowə] > [ˈjei̯nəˌroə])
-[Və] > [Və̯] ([ˈjei̯nəˌroə] > [ˈjei̯nəˌroə̯])
-stress shifts so that the rightmost heavy syllable receives primary stress ([ˈjei̯nəˌroə̯] > [ˌjei̯nəˈroə̯])

NE
[ˌʝiːnʊˈlwaː]
-initial [j] > [ʝ] ([ˌjei̯nəˈroə̯] > [ˌʝei̯nəˈroə̯])
-[r] > [l] ([ˌʝei̯nəˈroə̯] > [ˌʝei̯nəˈloə̯])
-[ei̯ oə̯] > [iː waː] ([ˌʝei̯nəˈloə̯] > [ˌʝiːnəˈlwaː])
-[əˈ(C)w] > [ʊˈ(C)w] ([ˌʝiːnəˈlwaː] > [ˌʝiːnʊˈlwaː])

W
[jãĩ̯ˈroə̯]
-[ei̯] > [ai̯] ([ˌjei̯nəˈroə̯] > [ˌjai̯nəˈroə̯])
-[ə] is lost ([ˌjai̯nəˈroə̯] > [ˌjai̯nˈroə̯])
-stress shifts to maintain rhythm ([ˌjai̯nˈroə̯] > [jai̯nˈroə̯])
-[V(i̯)N$] > [Ṽ(i̯)$] ([jai̯nˈroə̯] > [jãĩ̯ˈroə̯])

C
[ˈhei̯ndoː]
-[j] is lost before front vowels ([ˌjei̯nəˈroə̯] > [ˌei̯nəˈroə̯])
-[oə̯] > [oː] ([ˌei̯nəˈroə̯] > [ˌei̯nəˈroː])
-stress shifts so that the leftmost syllable receives primary stress ([ˌei̯nəˈroː] > [ˈei̯nəˌroː])
-[ə] is lost ([ˈei̯nəˌroː] > [ˈei̯nˌroː])
-stress shifts to maintain rhythm ([ˈei̯nˌroː] > [ˈei̯nroː])
-[nr] > [nd] ([ˈei̯nroː] > [ˈei̯ndoː])
-epenthetic [h] is inserted word-initially before vowels ([ˈei̯ndoː] > [ˈhei̯ndoː])

E-SW-S-E ("Southern")
[ˈɟoçnarwe]
-[hi] > [çi] ([ˈjohiˌnaruˌwe] > [ˈjoçiˌnaruˌwe])
-[j] > [ɟ] word-initially ([ˈjoçiˌnaruˌwe] > [ˈɟoçiˌnaruˌwe])
-unstressed vowels are lost ([ˈɟoçiˌnaruˌwe] > [ˈɟoçˌnarˌwe])
-secondary stress is lost ([ˈɟoçˌnarˌwe] > [ˈɟoçnarwe])

E-SW
[ɟøçˈnɔru]
-word-final vowels are lost ([ˈɟoçnarwe] > [ˈɟoçnarw])
-[Cw$] > [Cu$] ([ˈɟoçnarw] > [ˈɟoçnaru])
-back vowels are fronted when adjacent to palatal consonants ([ˈɟoçnaru] > [ˈɟøçnaru])
-[a(C)u] > [ɔ(C)u] ([ˈɟøçnaru] > [ˈɟøçnɔru])
-stress shifts so that the second syllable from the right receives primary stress ([ˈɟøçnɔru] > [ɟøçˈnɔru])

E
[ɟeˈɲ̊ɔu̯]
-[ø] > [e] ([ɟøçˈnɔru] > [ɟeçˈnɔru])
-[çn] > [hɲ̊] ([ɟeçˈnɔru] > [ɟehˈɲ̊ɔru])
-[r] is lost intervocalically ([ɟehˈɲ̊ɔru] > [ɟehˈɲ̊ɔu])
-[ˈVu] > [ˈVu̯] ([ɟehˈɲ̊ɔu] > [ɟehˈɲ̊ɔu̯])
-coda [h] is lost ([ɟehˈɲ̊ɔu̯] > [ɟeˈɲ̊ɔu̯])

SW
[døsˈnœːry]
-[ˈɔ] > [ˈœː] ([ɟøçˈnɔru] > [ɟøçˈnœːru])
-[ˈœː(C)u] > [ˈœː(C)y] ([ɟøçˈnœːru] > [ɟøçˈnœːry])
-[ɟ ç] > [d s] ([ɟøçˈnœːry] > [døsˈnœːry])

S-SE
[ˈʑoɕtərβi]
-sonorants are devoiced when adjacent to voiceless obstruents ([ˈɟoçnarwe] > [ˈɟoçn̥arwe])
-[w] > [β] before front vowels ([ˈɟoçn̥arwe] > [ˈɟoçn̥arβe])
-[ɟ ç] > [ʑ ɕ] ([ˈɟoçn̥arβe] > [ˈʑoɕn̥arβe])
-unstressed [e a] > [i ə] ([ˈʑoɕn̥arβe] > [ˈʑoɕn̥ərβi])
-[ɕn̥] > [ɕt] ([ˈʑoɕn̥ərβi] > [ˈʑoɕtərβi])

S
[ˈzɔstr̩bi]
-[rβ] > [rb] ([ˈʑoɕtərβi] > [ˈʑoɕtərbi])
-[ʑ ɕ] > [z s] ([ˈʑoɕtərbi] > [ˈzostərbi])
-[ər] > [r̩] ([ˈzostərbi] > [ˈzostr̩bi])
-[o] > [ɔ] in closed syllables ([ˈzostr̩bi] > [ˈzɔstr̩bi])

SE
[ˈʑot͡ɕɛːf]
-[β] > [v] ([ˈʑoɕtərβi] > [ˈʑoɕtərvi])
-[ə(C)(C)i] > [ɛ(C)(C)i] ([ˈʑoɕtərvi] > [ˈʑoɕtɛrvi])
-[Vr$] > [Vː$] ([ˈʑoɕtɛrvi] > [ˈʑoɕtɛːvi])
-vowels are lost word-finally after single consonants ([ˈʑoɕtɛːvi] > [ˈʑoɕtɛːv])
-[ɕt] > [tɕ] ([ˈʑoɕtɛːv] > [ˈʑotɕɛːv])
-[tɕ] > [t͡ɕ] ([ˈʑotɕɛːv] > [ˈʑot͡ɕɛːv])
-obstruents are devoiced word-finally ([ˈʑot͡ɕɛːv] > [ˈʑot͡ɕɛːf])
(she)
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Thanks as always! I'll definitely be able to participate next round, since exam season is ending.

my garbage

she/her
Visions1
greek
greek

Post by Visions1 »

I'm in too. I want to practice.
ɶʙ ɞʛ
greek
greek

Post by ɶʙ ɞʛ »

I think I'd like someone else to make the next challenge, now that I have a full time job I won't be able to come up with one as quickly.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Congratulations on your job [:)]
Here is the next challenge:

1. bæ
2. mõ
3. muaŋ
4. pa
5. wa
6. mva
7. mpà:
8. m: a:

This is just a list of cognates in no particular order. The last one has a white space in there because it otherwise produces a strange letter A icon.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
thethief3
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by thethief3 »

Creyeditor wrote: 15 Mar 2024 07:54 Congratulations on your job [:)]
Here is the next challenge:

1. bæ
2. mõ
3. muaŋ
4. pa
5. wa
6. mva
7. mpà:

This is just a list of cognates in no particular order. The last one has a white space in there because it otherwise produces a strange letter A icon.
ᵐba:ŋ
Visions1
greek
greek

Post by Visions1 »

Ah, Papuan langing strikes again!
Spoiler:
I'd first notice the obvious - they all begin with labials, and the vowel is A-ish.
Next level: most of them start with /m/, two with /p/ in some form, one with /w/.
First conclusion: we can assume /pa/ and /bæ/ are sisters, since they share a /PA/ structure. No /m-something-A/ business. (But this might be mp/mb so no shared lineage? Hmm.)
Next level: Of the remaining, four have a /m-something-A/ structure, one /wA/, one /mA/. Focusing more on the nucleus, four have a /C(something)a but special/ thing, while two just have regular /a/. (I am counting -aŋ and -aa as special.)
mõ - mA
muaŋ - mCA
wa - wa
mva - mCa
mpàà - mCA
mmaa - mCa
This kind of looks like a dialect continuum. (?)
Second conclusion: /mõ/ and /muaŋ/ share a couple features - /m-roundbackV+butnowabitlowerV-nasalthing/. They must be sisters.
Next level: Three are /mCA/ now vs one /wa/. Two are /a/ AND /W/, two are /A/ and /no W/.
pa bæ / mõ muaŋ / wa - mva - mpàà mmaa
Original was almost certainly /mbwan/ or /bwan/. You're probably pulling some sneaky continuum business because Papua (of course).
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Both guesses for the proto-form are way off (like between 0% and 40% of the segments are correct) in the same way. There is no sneaky continuum business but I guess you could say there is some funny business going on.
More detailed response to Visions guess:
Spoiler:
Your low-level groupings are correct (/PA/, /m-roundbackV+butnowabitlowerV-nasalthing/, mpàà mmaa), and it is trivial now to guess the final low-level grouping.
Your intermediate grouping (wa - mva - mpàà mmaa) is not a valid grouping. Try looking at ot from a non-continuum perspective.
If no further guesses were to be made, visions would win and thethief would come in second.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
ɶʙ ɞʛ
greek
greek

Post by ɶʙ ɞʛ »

How about something different: what if nasal vowels were there at the start?

2. mõ
3. muaŋ
4. pa
5. wa
6. mva
7. mpà:

Group 1: /bæ/, /pa/
Group 2: /mõ/, /muaŋ/
Group 3: /wa/, /mva/, /mpà:/, /mːa:/

Initial guess: /õpã/.

To proto-1: vowels denasalize, deletion of initial vowel, optional voicing:
õpã > opa > b̥a > bæ, pa

To proto-2: p > ɸ > h > ∅, chain shift in vowels with õ ã > m̩ õ
õpã > m̩hõ > mõ
for 4: mõ > moŋ > muaŋ

To proto-3: õ > m̩, but ã denasalizes instead
õpã > m̩pa
5 and 6 shift p > ɸ before voicing, potentially influenced by 3/4
m̩pa > mɸa > mβa
mβa > mwa > wa
mβa > mva

7 and 8 don't see that shift, the tone origin probably had nothing to do with this specific word; the length may come from the original nasalization or something else.
m̩pa > mpà:
m̩pa > mba: > mːa: