Parts-of-Speech of Root Morphemes

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Parts-of-Speech of Root Morphemes

Post by Omzinesý »

In my conlangs there are very productive ways to derives nouns from verbs and vice versa. (I should actually test how the distinction could be made more strict.) I think every one of them however has lexical word classes from which items of other word classes can be derived.
In my bi-consonantal-root language all verbs are CVC, where changing V is the only verb to derive actionsart differences. Nominal patterns are laways more complex. I don't remember if I made a root for 'dog' but I gues its verb would be 'to bark', but other derivations from the root would however mean things associated to dogs rather than barking. So morphological verbs are always simpler, but on the level of lexical semantics, I wouldn't say so.
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Omzinesý wrote:In my conlangs there are very productive ways to derives nouns from verbs and vice versa. (I should actually test how the distinction could be made more strict.) I think every one of them however has lexical word classes from which items of other word classes can be derived.
In my bi-consonantal-root language all verbs are CVC, where changing V is the only verb to derive actionsart differences. Nominal patterns are laways more complex. I don't remember if I made a root for 'dog' but I gues its verb would be 'to bark', but other derivations from the root would however mean things associated to dogs rather than barking. So morphological verbs are always simpler, but on the level of lexical semantics, I wouldn't say so.
Thanks, @Omzinesý!
Indeed, thanks to all responders so far.
@Omzinesý, I'd kind of like to hear more about your 'langs.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

I just found an old project of mine, where all roots are nouns and have to overtly derived to be used as verbs. Does not look very naturalistic, but I still am emotionally attached to the idea. Here are some examples: (Maybe some NSFW examples, don't know about American standards).
Spoiler:
vauvid ['vø.vid]
camel

vauvida [vø.'ve.da]
to carry, to bear

taukin ['tø.ɟin]
dog

taukina ['tø.ɟe.na]
to chase enemies, to protect by attacking

likib ['li.ɟip]
animal

likiba [li.'ɟe.ba]
to live (wildly), to be alive, to be vital

dusav ['do.zaf]
time, occasion, moment, point of time

dusavi ['do.zɛ.vi]
to happen, to take place

dunuk ['du.nuk]
moon, month

dunuka [du.'no.ga]
to measure time
colloquial: to menstruate

sikuv ['tsø.guf]
meat

sikuva [tsø.'go.va]
to butcher, to kill

yukat [jo.gat]
year

yukati [jo.gɛ.tʃi]
to celebrate ones birthday

mubuk [mu.buk]
sinew, tendon

mubuka [mu.bo.ga]
to tighten

laikuy [lɔɪ̯.kuʃ]
nut, coconut

laikuya [lɔɪ̯.ku.ja]
to open, to crack
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Creyeditor wrote:I just found an old project of mine, where all roots are nouns and have to overtly derived to be used as verbs. Does not look very naturalistic, but I still am emotionally attached to the idea. Here are some examples: (Maybe some NSFW examples, don't know about American standards). ... (interesting examples not re-quoted) ...
I found it extremely interesting!
I've never worked anyplace they wouldn't all be SFW; but I think "USAmerican standards" really vary from workplace to workplace.