Altlang Ideas Discussion

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Shemtov
runic
runic

Re: Altlang Ideas Discussion

Post by Shemtov »

Ælfwine wrote: 30 Jul 2023 22:35 An interesting thought that occurred to me earlier on when working on my native american influenced vinlandic conlang.

A creole descendant of 17th century English and Algonquian, presuming a different outcome from the failed Roanoke colony. Algonquian would be the superstrate and English the substrate
Actually, why not Modern Delaware Pidgin? It also had Swedish and Dutch influence, and was spoken in what's now Delaware, NJ, Eastern Pennsylvania, NYC, and Southeast NYS. Looking at the Bibliography of the book where I learned that Delaware Pidgin existed, it references an article in another book collecting essays on the Short-Lived Colony of New Sweden (Which corresponded roughly to the Modern Greater Philidelphia Metro Region) that seems to have a sketch on the Pidgin; The Library system here in Queens has a copy, which I'm going to try to get ahold of.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Re: Altlang Ideas Discussion

Post by Ælfwine »

An interesting idea, but not quite what I'm looking for.

What I am thinking is that a successful Norse colony in Vinland potentially spurring earlier European colonization of the Americas. Perhaps Basque and French colonists colonize other parts of eastern canada followed by England and Scotland. Curious to know ehat managerie of languages might arise here. (Early divergent new world Scots dialect?)

Of course all these pidgins could still arise, like a Norse-Algonquian pidgin (interestingly enough a Basque-Algonquian pidgin was attested in OTL)
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd