What is the newest word in your conlang?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
DV82LECM
sinic
sinic

Re: What is the newest word in your conlang?

Post by DV82LECM »

ћit'é [xiˈt'e] "be important/famous/of high favor or worth"
w̌lea [ble̯a] "work/labor/do chores"
y̌lea [gle̯a] "sing"
ékci [ˈeksi] "heart"
hyu [(c)çu] "be good"
łačí [daˈt͡ʃi] "be loud"
đáw̌i [ˈd͡ʒabi] "play"
múšče [ˈmuʃt͡ʃe] "be accidental/mistaken"
𖥑𖧨𖣫𖦺𖣦𖢋𖤼𖥃𖣔𖣋𖢅𖡹𖡨𖡶𖡦𖡧𖡚𖠨
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

rBD

/chuff, long rising weak whine/

verb

1. to walk on the hind feet
2. to hobble or waddle, especially while carrying something in the forepaws.
3. to move with difficulty, struggle forward
3. (of humans) to walk

There's some controversy over whether human locomotion should be described with the common verb <rfbr>, which simply means to walk on a level surface, but implies the use of all four limbs, or the verb <rBD> described above. <rBD> has negative connotations of awkwardness and arduousness to it, and also usually implies one is carrying something. Most yinrih would hardly describe human walking or running this way. They're astonished the ease and speed at which humans are able to move given our bipedal stance, seemingly precarious height, lack of gripping feet, and especially the absence of a tail to use for balance. Yinrih can only walk bipedally by digging their hind claws into soft earth like cleats and using their tail like a cane to prevent them from falling backwards.

The word <rBD> is used in an epistulary greeting when addressing humans.

Code: Select all

Ln lC rBD G rnL smprb
Ln     lC     rBD    G     rnL smpr-b
HORT   tall   walk   IMP   not fall-NAUTH
Which is usually translated as "Walk tall, don't fall".

This replaces the normal yinrih-to-yinrih greeting of

Code: Select all

L   scrrmK-p          qGq-b         g    Frk-qN
OPT hearth_star-3D    warm-NAUTH    POS  back-3M
May the hearth star [Focus] warm your back.
The above makes little sense for humans as our backs don't face skyward.
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Today I added the entry https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/science_project to Wiktionary.

Then I realized Kankonian didn't have a word for "science project"!

So a few minutes ago, I invented two new Kankonian words. A science project, in its literal meaning, is zurmeriyalevatz, from zurmeriya (science fair) and levatz (project).

To say something like, "This casserole has become a science project", one would say:

Ham etesyal anas dushurm ab huzhus zash Gmugmurm.
this casserole have-PRS fungus from planet APPOS Gmugmurm

Literally, this is saying, "This casserole has a fungus from the planet Gmugmurm". Gmugmurm isn't a real planet in the Lehola Galaxy; the name comes from a rhyme with dushurm, the Kankonian word for "fungus". The gm- was chosen because of its alien sound suggesting the word gmozkwank. A gmozkwank is a Kankonian alien stereotype, with counterintuitive skin color, a faucet-shaped trunk, and antennae -- their equivalent of a Martian. So it would be like if an English speaker said, "This casserole has a fungus from the planet Xungus".
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 90,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

Yeah, I like that, though Im a bit surprised you used /gm/ twice instead of using both clusters from the pattern word.

--------

Play pamāi "(just) the way (you) are; as it is". This is polarity-neutral like all content words in Play, and ideally emotion-neutral as well although that's impossible. Point is one can say pamāižaŋa to mean both "I love you just the way you are (but if you change I admit I might love you more) and "I love you just the way you are. (I love you because of what you are, so I admit I might love you less if you change)."
Makapappi nauppakiba.
The wolf-sheep ate itself. (Play)
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

<HKrqFdqg>

/long rising strong growl, chuff, huff, late high weakening whine, huff, short low weak growl/

from HKr (notch) + qFdq (ear) literally "ear notch"

A derogatory term for an antique firearms enthusiast. Since older guns are mounted on a saddle on the back, one has to duck to fire. If a proper firing posture is not assumed, it's possible for bullets to graze the ear of the shooter, giving rise to the nickname.
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

Piausape, a short message written on the back of one's hand, typically with an item in nature such as a small twig as the writing instrument. The writer presses gently so that the very outermost layer of skin is peeled, without injuring themselves. This is because most Play speakers do not have access to renewable writing materials such as pens and paper, and those who do don't carry those things with them while outside. Thus the piausape is employed when one outside remembers something important but cannot otherwise write it down.

Similar terms will exist for messages written in rocks or other materials in nature, for which different writing instruments would be required.

The underlying morpheme breakdown here is pi + taus + ŋap + be, showing as always that Play compounds have a lot of sandhi and consonant elision. It means literally "hand outer-surface sign message".
Makapappi nauppakiba.
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

and today I added Play bappa, filling a lexical gap that has been open for years. It means to remove the remains of someone (or something). This avoids the need for a third noun in some sentences, such as English "I clean up after you". Indeed, used alone, Play bappa can vary in meaning from "I (will) bury your corpse" to "I (will) clean up after you". The Play speakers think of this range of meanings as being a single meaning, dependent on context, rather than needing to think "Oh, which meaning is it now? Should I be afraid or happy?" Context delivers the difference, and when finer shades of meaning are required, other verbs are added to the sentence.

The etymology is a compound of two MRCA words, əka ḳa, but the compound was formed late and was never used this way in MRCA.

I suppose I could add that the language name Pabappa, which is now an exonym, is cognate to none of this. I'm keeping the name as the external name for the language only for the sake of consistency, since I dont have an internal name for it anymore and even if I did I would almost certainly need to revise it eventually.
Makapappi nauppakiba.
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

The newest Dlor word is jäd. It means both '(to be) easy' and '(to be) talented' '(to be) good at something'.

If you are good at conversations, you are easy to converse with.

S-mon jäd ra na-bosek.
DEF-man JÄD COMPL ANTIP-kill
'The man is good at killing.'

Jäd ra bosek s-mon.
JÄD COMPL kill DEF-man
'It is easy to kill the man.'
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

Play petupipatuba, a timepiece such as an hourglass or sundial. I see no reason for a culture such as this to have a shorter word for such a thing, nor a more specific one. The Players mostly work by the cycles of the sun, and living at the edge of the tropics the day length doesn't vary much from one season to another.

The etymology is from petu "to conduct commerce with money", from MRCA (mfu)p ətu, followed by pipatu "to watch the sun" (formed internally from Play pip "sun" and šatu "to watch, focus on"), followed by the handheld classifier suffix -ba.

Play culture was well-suited to their climate where people spent much of their time outdoors. Yet the shared ancestors of the Players and Leapers had had a single word for timepiece already 2,300 years before the maturation date of Play: digya. This would have produced Play *tiba if it had been inherited.
Makapappi nauppakiba.
Kesshin
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Kesshin »

The newest word in Daas is probably:
"ze'gio'de" [zɛgiodɛ]
Which would be translated to "mushroom people" and literally means "people that take in/consume the dead".
ze = death
gio = consume(slow)
de = a people/family/tribe

Since in Daas, every letter has a meaning, I've found that a kind of concept divider is helpful. Those apostrophes might become glottal stops or something.
he/him, they/them
Forgive me if I seem uneducated or disorganized, I am new to the community and vocab.

currently hyperfocused on: Daas
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Kesshin wrote: 23 Apr 2024 18:39 The newest word in Daas is probably:
"ze'gio'de" [zɛgiodɛ]
Which would be translated to "mushroom people" and literally means "people that take in/consume the dead".
ze = death
gio = consume(slow)
de = a people/family/tribe

Since in Daas, every letter has a meaning, I've found that a kind of concept divider is helpful. Those apostrophes might become glottal stops or something.
Welcome to the board, Kesshin! So is Daas an oligosynthetic language?
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Ruykkarraber family Areyaxi family Arskiilz Makihip-ŋAħual family Kahóra Abisj
my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
Kesshin
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Kesshin »

Arayaz wrote: 23 Apr 2024 18:47 Welcome to the board, Kesshin! So is Daas an oligosynthetic language?
Thank you! [:D]
I guess so! Daas is an artlang, so it's not really anything like aUI or other auxlangs though. Auxlangs are usually oligosynthetic, right?
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Kesshin wrote: 23 Apr 2024 20:25
Arayaz wrote: 23 Apr 2024 18:47 Welcome to the board, Kesshin! So is Daas an oligosynthetic language?
Thank you! [:D]
I guess so! Daas is an artlang, so it's not really anything like aUI or other auxlangs though. Auxlangs are usually oligosynthetic, right?
I don't think so. Oligosynthetic languages are pretty rare, from what I know. lsd's 3SDL is oligosynthetic, I think, but I don't know of any others on the CBB. And no famous auxlang that I can think of is oligosynthetic (aUI not being an auxlang).
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Ruykkarraber family Areyaxi family Arskiilz Makihip-ŋAħual family Kahóra Abisj
my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
Kesshin
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Kesshin »

Arayaz wrote: 23 Apr 2024 20:30 I don't think so. Oligosynthetic languages are pretty rare, from what I know. lsd's 3SDL is oligosynthetic, I think, but I don't know of any others on the CBB. And no famous auxlang that I can think of is oligosynthetic (aUI not being an auxlang).
Oh, okay. Thanks! I'm still very new to this.
he/him, they/them
Forgive me if I seem uneducated or disorganized, I am new to the community and vocab.

currently hyperfocused on: Daas
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

Play pūmmu, to be good at something one is doing; to do easily. From pūm "stab, thrust" plus a dummy verb I haven't assigned a specific meaning to yet.

From this I derive pūmmutaus, to be good at something; to be an expert. In other words, it's another example of Play having a word for something English needs a phrase for, while Play needs a compound for something English has a simple word for. The language flows better this way than it would if I did it the other way around. Here, -taus means "capable of". When I pin down the meaning of mu, I might decide to change this word to pūmtausu (where /sm/ alway surfaces as /s/).
Makapappi nauppakiba.