Lexember 2023

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Knox Adjacent
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: Lexember 2023

Post by Knox Adjacent »

Day 3
yu-yalyalnim n. wheel ("turn~REDUP-NMLZ") via a frequentative. Don't remember if I have a reduplication exception to [Post-anything]-Glide cluster fortification. Would be yu-yalcalnim then.

yu-cikurnim n. automobile ("REFL-pull-NMLZ)

Neither of these are related to the classifier for wheeled vehicles, huh.
Last edited by Knox Adjacent on 12 Jan 2024 07:23, edited 1 time in total.
_Just_A_Sketch
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by _Just_A_Sketch »

Lexember Day 2
totally not late I swear

'ai'u
nubragau'u /nubɽaɣau̯ʔu/
Noun - class XVII - a facade, an act
Adjective (usually describing a person) - deceptive, two faced

Etymology - from nubra "face" and gau'u "shadow"

Hɛlcɛso
Xongxokεus /ʃɔŋʃɔkɛu̯s/
Verb - to confuse, to trick, to lie

Etymology - causative of Xongkεus "to be confused", itself a compound of xong "mind" and keus "two"

Tsjàta
Èzòll /'e˥˩zo˥˩ʟ/
Verb - to mimic, to copy

(Ill probably do day 3 tomorrow with day 4)
The other proud member of myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: The Awloyan languages, Ụwwụterašerụ, Arskiilz, Kahóra, 'ai'u, Northlang V4

she/they/fluff
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

1st of Lexember

heŋam 'be a couple", 'be a pair of lovers' (from he 'two' + ŋam 'be loved sexually/romantically')

2nd of Lexember

hedož 'be a fork' (in a path, road, river. lightning etc.), figuratively also: 'be a dichotomous decision with life-changing consequences'

3rd of Lexember

šigam 'use a lever', 'use a crowbar'
šigamed 'be a lever', '(be a) crowbar' (with -ed 'tool', 'bodypart')
tomešigam 'be a fulcrum', 'be a pivot'; figuratively: 'be the crux of an issue' ('it all hinges on ...') (from tom 'be a reference point', here: 'be a stationary point' + -e- LK2 + šigam)

4th of Lexember

yum 'be a wheel'
tomeyum 'be the hub of a wheel' (from tom 'be a reference point', here: 'be a stationary point' + -e- LK2 + yum)
tavedetomeyum 'be an axle' (with taved 'be a stick')
Last edited by Imralu on 04 Dec 2023 06:33, edited 2 times in total.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Lexember 3

lok2-tëh3 n abs. machine-making, engineering, invention
Spoiler:
shimobaatar wrote: 03 Dec 2023 12:30
qwed117:
qwed117 wrote: 02 Dec 2023 05:51 Lexember 1

zak4-ang2 [t͡sa˩˥kaŋ˥] - v. 'to split, to separate, to cleave'

Zak4-ma1 për4 ák3-me1
split-PST mother twig
"The mother split the twig"

Zak4-ma1 ic4ke1 ta3nak1-ma12 phrò'1 ük3tá1
split-PST husband wardrobe-PL OBJ clothes
"The husband separated the clothes into the wardrobes"

Zak4-ma1 trèng2 phrò'4 sac4-trèn1 ie3 sèi2
split-PST child OBJ rice from salt
"The child separated the rice from the salt"
Nice! I like the fact that the past tense and plural markers appear to be identical.
Thanks, but I think I was very tired when I made this because, unlike English, the suffixes are not meant to the be the same. The plural suffix should be má2
Last edited by qwed117 on 06 Dec 2023 02:18, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

shimobaatar wrote: 03 Dec 2023 12:30 Keenir:
Spoiler:
Keenir wrote: 02 Dec 2023 11:26 December 1st: ʔanwa [ʔa.nwa] = "Do I...?", "What do I...?"

ʔanwa nee ʔanaps naa = what shall i count?" or "I should count...?" inviting a reply for instruction - ie, "go count sheep".
If I might ask, what would you consider this word in terms of "part of speech"?
A question word, so far as I am aware - this may change in future; but at least for now, its a question word/phrase.
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

shimobaatar wrote: 03 Dec 2023 12:30 Hopefully this example sentence isn't based on a true story! If I might ask, what are the individual words for "neighbor" and "pervert" that together make acusorcund?
First, thank you for keeping up the tradition of giving awesome reviews to the words!

Haha no, it's not a true story, at least not a personal experience.
acusor translates to "neighbor" and cund is "perverted, fixated on sex"

Lexember 4 - Yélian

vàntreco [ˈvɐntɾəko] (Northern Standard) - handax (biface)
vantreko [vɐnˈtreːkɔ̈] (Southern Standard) - handax (biface)
Etymology: uncertain; the latter part is clearly from atrek "wedge", the former either derives from vaney "fist" or from vanit "hand. Both words are related anyway though.

U'vantreko vunbut un'ubakopereyatsenpuʻatan on'ever.
[ʉʋɐnˈtɾeːkɔ̈ ˈvunbʉt ʉnʉˈbaːkɔ̈pəˌɾeːʃɐt͡sənpʉˌʔaːtɐn ɔ̈ˈneːʋəd̟]
DEF.INAN=handax part_of-COP.3SG.INAN DEF.INAN=tool-create-ADZ-SUP-old-COMP-PL DEF.GEN=humanity
The handax belongs to the oldest fabricated tools of humanity.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
VaptuantaDoi
roman
roman

Post by VaptuantaDoi »

shimobaatar wrote: 03 Dec 2023 12:30 VaptuantaDoi:
Spoiler:
VaptuantaDoi wrote: 02 Dec 2023 03:24 1st and 2nd of December:

[…]
This is all outstanding, as usual. I love all of the detail. Seeing your romlangs alway gives me the urge to work on some myself. Actually, that reminds me. I don't think i got a chance to comment on the thread for Fabbule, as much as I enjoyed reading it.
Thanks shimo! I should really get back to work on Fabbule. In fact, I'll throw it into the mix in place of UIL.

4th of December:

Vissard:
klonau (Standard) /kloˈno/, /klõˈno/, (SCV) /kjũˈno/, /t͡ɕũˈnõ/, (Southey) /kloˈnaf/ (eye dialect klonaf) masculine noun (nom.sg. klonaus /kloˈnuː/, obl.pl. klonaus, nom.pl. klonau, part. klonawour /klonaˈwor/ (Southey /klonaˈvor/) A bradawl (device used to create a small locating hole for subsequent drilling). Etymology: Rough calque of English bradawl, consisting of klon 'large nail' and au 'awl'. The former derives from kla 'nail' < Latin CLĀVEM 'key' and a semantically vague augmentative -on < -ŌNEM; au is a back-formation from Middle Vissard awel 'awl' (modern dialectal ewel, wel, vel 'thorn') treating the final element as the diminuitive -el < -ELLUM, although it is of unrelated origin, having been borrowed from Old English āwel 'awl'. Pronunciation notes: The pronunciation /kloˈno/ with an oral vowel is proscribed but commonplace; it is generally taught that compounds should retain their nasal vowel even before another vowel, although this is frequently ignored. The variant /kluˈno/ is frowned upon and is an unetymological spelling pronunciation. In Southey Vissard, the normal pronunciation is with final /f/, since Southey Middle Vissard had a shift /w/ → /v/ (regardless of origin) which prevented later monophthongisation of /au̯/. In the partitive, the consonant is retained, as is regular with -au nouns. Historical note: A lot of technical terms in Vissard are borrowed from various stages of English – boating, fishing and woodworking terms from Old English, naval, military and culinary terms from Middle English, and computing, transport and engineering terms from Modern English.

Fabbule:
arature /ˈaratᴜrᴇ/ [ˈaraturə] nn. (pl. araturi /ˈaratᴜrɪ/ [ˈaraturə]) Plough. Old Fabbule aratru, from Latin ARĀTRUM 'plough'; the Fabbule stress shift and subsequent vowel laxing meant that the ending was reinterpreted as an agent ending -ature < -ĀTŌREM, reinforced by the separate Old Fabbule word arature < Latin ARĀTŌREM 'ploughman'. The latter was replaced by arazzunajo [ˈaratː͡sunajːə] < *ARATIŌNĀRIUM.
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Day 4

Hannaito (Entry 4):

rëutsuq /rɪutuʔ/ [ˈɾʲɪ̈u̯.t͡sʊʔ]
Noun:
1. hammer
2. sledgehammer, mallet, maul
3. war hammer, club, mace
4. gavel
5. tongue, clapper (of a bell)
6. a mallet used to strike a percussion instrument

Etymology
From rëu "to hit, to strike; to knock, to tap; to beat" (from Proto-Hannaitoan *rilow "to strike, to bump") + the nominalizing suffix -tsüq (< PH *tuwka "rock, stone"), which appears as -tsuq here due to the presence of /u/ in the preceding syllable.
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

Dawn of the Fourth Day. 641 Hours Remain
qGKqg

[huff, long rising strengthening growl, huff, short low weak growl]

Noun
Outer Space.

The yinrih became a space-faring species a mere 5 thousand Earth years after achieving sapience. Having a written language right of the bat helps. By the time of First Contact they're a Kardashev II civilization. I originally used the neolithic revolution on Earth as the time frame for them to achieve K2 status, but it seems Agriculture is much more recent than I thought. The idea is they've finished subduing their entire star system a reeeealy long time ago. Maybe I'll push it back to around the extinction of the Neanderthals or something. The Bright Way has been doing interstellar missions for even longer, not too long after they achieve spaceflight. Their zeal sometimes gets in the way of practicality, and they start out more or less flinging missionaries into the cold interstellar void without a lot of planning or forethought. Obviously they lose a lot of missionaries early on, and these pioneers are honored as martyrs.
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

5th of Lexember

yumenauh "be a pulley" (from yum "be a wheel", -e- LK2, nauh [nau̯ʍ] "be a rope")
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
_Just_A_Sketch
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by _Just_A_Sketch »

Lexember Day 3

Hɛlcɛso
keasce - /kea̯st͡ʃe/
Noun - a weapon or tool for hunting, typically referring to a bow

Etymology - from keask "to hunt" and the suffix -ce, denoting a tool used for an action

'ai'u
lheiwa /ɬəi̯ʋa/
Noun - a spear

lheiwalhiu /ɬəi̯ʋaɬiu̯/
Noun - a javelin

Etymology - from lheiwalhiu "spear" and lhiu "air"

Tsjàta
Motskú /mot͡s'ku˩˥/
Verb - to cut

Lexember Day 4

Hɛlcɛso
Hɪstɪcɛ - /xɪstɪt͡ʃɛ/
Noun - rope

Etymology - from Hɪstɪ "to bind" and the suffix -ce, denoting a tool used for an action

'ai'u
kuste /kustə/
Verb - to bind, to stick together, to bundle

Tsjàta
knelljà [xneʟjɒ˥˩]
Verb - to weave
The other proud member of myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: The Awloyan languages, Ụwwụterašerụ, Arskiilz, Kahóra, 'ai'u, Northlang V4

she/they/fluff
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

a reply to the above post from shimobaatar:
Spoiler:
shimobaatar wrote: 03 Dec 2023 12:30

Very interesting! Does nūs mean "two"?

Also, if I might ask, is the name that you use for this language actually the English word "play", or does it just happen to be spelled the same?
Yes, all of my recent projects are given English names, because it's hopeless for me to keep an internal name consistent for any significant amount of time. Even the names Poswa and Pabappa are no longer valid internally.
Pabappa wrote: 02 Dec 2023 14:03 the dual morpheme (pup ~ bu ~ bup, as shown above), which also means "couple" when used as a standalone noun.
When are the different forms of this morpheme used?To be honest I haven't figured that out yet, except that it's always /pup/ as a standalone noun or at the beginning of a compound. Word-initial /b/ is uncommon.

Yes, /nūs ~ nuša-/ are the same word.

Thanks for your interest .... I've been away from the board for awhile and to be honest I don't plan to post outside this thread, but I have been actively working on my languages all this time.
Im going to struggle this week, but i've got this for now:

mičanaba, the word for metal, which etymologically means shaped stone. The human population on this planet is very small, never getting beyond a few million, and behaviorally they are much more peaceful than humans on our world. Technological advances are slow and often soon forgotten. Thus, metal is not widely used; most metal is made into weapons and armor, nonetheless, as wood is used for most containers and dwellings.

The Play root here is miči "hard object; stone", with a verbal infix of -ana- which indicates it has been shaped by man (the standalone form of this verb is /šana/), and the handheld object classifier -ba. This suffix is used even when metal is spoken of as a mass noun.

This is a new word in the sense that, until today, it hadn't occurred to me that Play would be unlikely to have a standalone root for metal, let alone standalone roots for individual metals like iron, copper, and so on. So I actually removed a few words today and replaced them with compounds like this.
Makapappi nauppakiba.
The wolf-sheep ate itself. (Play)
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

Monday, Lexember 4

Theme: Technology, Techniques, Tools, Invention, Innovation, Advancement

Ruykkarraber [nayes] sdesdi tresbiren nira "to make a step forward (metaphorically), to advance"

Insun sunes sdesdi tresbiren nirayr, ti in nasen kra. "We've made an advancement; now I'll sleep."
1pl.INF.I 1pl.INF.III above tree.branch-II grab-PST / thus 1sg.I fall.asleep-II FUT
  • A long phrase, this literally means "to grab the branch above oneself."
  • Nayes is the case III human singular 3rd person form. The appropriate case III pronoun replaces it in actual usage; in the example above, for example, sunes is used instead.
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra Xúuuatxia Alushi
my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
Corphishy
greek
greek

Post by Corphishy »

Lex 4
kropši /'kropʃi/ v "make, build, shape"
And now an example sentence

Gandriga desne łipjesor kropši
gandriga-Ø des-ne łipjes-or kropši
Gandrig-NOM pot-ACC earthenware-ERG build

"Gandrig makes a clay pot"
Aszev wrote:A good conlang doesn't come from pursuing uniqueness. Uniqueness is usually an effect from creating a good conlang.
Project Garnet
(used to be Bulbichu22)
_Just_A_Sketch
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by _Just_A_Sketch »

Corphishy wrote: 05 Dec 2023 03:48 Gandrig-NOM pot-ACC earthenware-ERG build
Earthenware being in the ergative is pretty interesting. What's the reason for it?

she/they/fluff
Corphishy
greek
greek

Post by Corphishy »

_Just_A_Sketch wrote: 05 Dec 2023 03:52
Corphishy wrote: 05 Dec 2023 03:48 Gandrig-NOM pot-ACC earthenware-ERG build
Earthenware being in the ergative is pretty interesting. What's the reason for it?
because its being used here in a genitive/partitive sense, a "pot (made) of earthenware"
Aszev wrote:A good conlang doesn't come from pursuing uniqueness. Uniqueness is usually an effect from creating a good conlang.
Project Garnet
(used to be Bulbichu22)
Solarius
roman
roman

Post by Solarius »

irifi [i.ri.fi] (n.) - online commerce

From rifi "trade, purchases" + i- (borrowed from English e-)
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

Lexember 4
Yemya
śreithor /ɕreitʰor/ n. “abacus” literally “counter" from PIE *h₂rey- “to count, counter out” and *-tōr

Yinše
huyuu’ /hujuːʔ/ n. “throwing spear (for hunting)”
Last edited by spanick on 05 Dec 2023 18:40, edited 1 time in total.
Knox Adjacent
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Knox Adjacent »

Day 4
yu-wirup n. bow (archery)
yu-mip n. arrow (archery again)
Last edited by Knox Adjacent on 11 Dec 2023 07:44, edited 2 times in total.
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Day 5

Hannaito (Entry 5):

rëuzau /rɪuzau/ [ˈɾʲɪ̈u̯.zau̯]
Noun:
1. oar, paddle
2. whisk; a utensil used for stirring, mixing, etc.
3. butter churn
4. (sports) bat, racket
5. waterwheel, watermill

Etymology
From rëu "to hit, to strike; to knock, to tap; to beat" (from Proto-Hannaitoan *rilow "to strike, to bump") + the nominalizing suffix -zau (< PH *zabal "stick, twig, stalk, branch, limb").

Compare rëutsuq "hammer, mallet" (see Entry 4). The suffixes -tsüq (< PH *tuwka "rock, stone") and -zau (< PH *zabal "stick, twig, stalk, branch, limb") can both be appended to verbs in order to derive nouns that refer to instruments or tools used to perform the actions described by those verbs. Their etymologies suggest that the choice between the two may have originally been determined by the primary material out of which a particular tool was made, either stone or wood. Even if this was the case at some point, though, the distribution of these suffixes is no longer entirely predictable in contemporary Hannaito. Generally speaking, there may be a tendency for nouns bearing the suffix -tsüq to refer to smaller tools and for those bearing the suffix -zau to refer to larger ones, at least with regards to the "prototypical" examples of the instruments in question. For instance, if presented with these words out of context and asked to imagine them in use, many Hannaichë would likely picture someone wielding a rëutsuq "hammer" with one hand and someone in a boat with two hands on the rëuzau "paddle", even though both words can refer to tools of either size.
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)