Extreme Conlang Ideas

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
VaptuantaDoi
roman
roman

Re: Extreme Conlang Ideas

Post by VaptuantaDoi »

kiwikami wrote: 07 Dec 2023 23:18 I feel like the "featural palindromes" concept I've been toying with for V4.1 is definitely "extreme" in several ways. tl;dr: (1) All constituents are discontinuous, combining through a process of "looming" with strictly-defined parts of speech, (2) all roots are of some mirrored structure (F3)(F2)F1|F1(F2)(F3) where F is any floating feature or set thereof (been calling 'em "floatremes") that mandatorily combine with previous elements.

Example:
to see, watch, look at: ʰb[]bʰ /[+asp]([+cons][+lab]).../
first person: ᵛ[]ᵛ /[+cont].../
second person u[]u /([-cons][+high][+back]).../
agent role: í[]í /([-cons][+high][+h. tone]).../
theme role: F[]F /[+front].../
[O.O]
I strongly suspect that if I understood this I would be seriously impressed.
Visions1
greek
greek

Post by Visions1 »

Salmoneus wrote: 08 Dec 2023 16:06 [it's also a sign language used by sentient nautiluses, but that's not the interesting bit]
Why didn't you say so? That's very interesting.
And, it's also extreme.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I also have a cephalopod planet in the Lehola Galaxy, Syprian, but the standard medium for in-real-time communication there is changing color, not sign language.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 90,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Salmoneus wrote: 08 Dec 2023 16:06 My conlang, U, departs from normal linguistic (Saussurean) expectations by not using signs that represent things or ideas. [at least, not at the heart of the language; there are some functional gestures that could be seen, I guess, as symbolic]. I never got too far into it, though (partly because I got bored making diagrams).
How does that work? Is it the pairing non-arbitrary?
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

in 3SDeductiveLanguage(1Sense=1Sign=1Sound)
there are only semantic primes...
no lexicon, no words, no predicate,
no word order nor part of speech, a contact is enough to mark a relation...
writing is absolutely 3D, even if a linear mode is possible...
writing is at once pictographic, logographic, syllabic and alphabetic...
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Khemehekis wrote: 10 Dec 2023 03:26 I also have a cephalopod planet in the Lehola Galaxy, Syprian, but the standard medium for in-real-time communication there is changing color, not sign language.
Oh, cool, a color conlang! Like 2c2e19!
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Ruykkarraber family Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra Makihip-ŋAħual family Abisj
my garbage

she/her
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

I am not much into extremes, but I do have two "extreme" conlang ideas.

One is a language without phonemic vowels, or at least it could be analyzed that way, and it is an Indo-European diachronic conlang: Ivernic (working name), a descendant of a dialect of Old Albic. In Old Albic, vowels are already autosegmental: vowel features are associated with morphemes, and the vowels are inserted into the consonant string by phonotactic rules. In Ivernic, the vowel features are transferred to neighbouring consonants (front vowels palatalize and round vowels labialize consonants), and the vowels inserted by the phonotactic rules receive their features back from those consonants.

The other is an oligosynthetic engelang (working name: Quetig), in which all morphemes (except proper names) are exactly one segment long. This means many phonemes and few roots (I think I'll use Toki Pona for the list of root concepts). The idea is of course nothing new (Robert A. Heinlein mentions it as "Speedtalk" in his story Gulf, and lsd seems - or pretends - to work on something similar), but I want to try it out in order to see if this is really a road to brevity or not. One reason to doubt that it leads to more brevity is that you need many multi-member compounds for concepts other languages have root words for, which may cancel out the brevity of the morphemes.

Alas, neither of these two projects have made it far beyond the initial idea so far, as they are not high on my priority list.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Arayaz wrote: 10 Dec 2023 15:29
Khemehekis wrote: 10 Dec 2023 03:26 I also have a cephalopod planet in the Lehola Galaxy, Syprian, but the standard medium for in-real-time communication there is changing color, not sign language.
Yep!
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 90,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
_Just_A_Sketch
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by _Just_A_Sketch »

It didn't go very far, but I started a lang made up only of nasals. These nasals distinguished both tone and length. It's basically just humming but with several places of articulation. I might come back to it eventually
The other proud member of myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: Awloya, Olwöa, 'ai'u, Hɛlcɛso (on hiatus), Tsjàta (on hiatus)

she/they/fluff
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

Creyeditor wrote: 10 Dec 2023 09:07
Salmoneus wrote: 08 Dec 2023 16:06 My conlang, U, departs from normal linguistic (Saussurean) expectations by not using signs that represent things or ideas. [at least, not at the heart of the language; there are some functional gestures that could be seen, I guess, as symbolic]. I never got too far into it, though (partly because I got bored making diagrams).
How does that work? Is it the pairing non-arbitrary?
There is no pairing! Or, to put it another way, the linguistic gesture is not one of the things that is paired.

So, there's actually two different ideas of 'U', which work differently, but with a core similarity: the 'original' idea I had, and wrote up a bit about a few years ago, and an alternative idea, which is maybe more radical but which I haven't explored in any detail at all. I mean, I haven't explored either in any detail, but I haven't explored the second at any length, even, so it might not work, or might not feel 'right'.

---------

So, the original idea...

U does have 'words', but they're not directly expressed in language. They're more like 'concepts'. In Human, we can think of 'concepts' being arbitrarily and (semi-)uniquely, absolutely, 'labelled' with (mostly) fixed linguistic gestures: 'horse' is the label for the concept of the horse, which refers to actual horses. [whether this is philosophically or psychologically accurate as a model of how Human works is debateable, but it's a useful story to use for contrasting with U].

But in U, concepts are not labelled absolutely, but relatively. We can imagine a speaker of Human having a huge, unordered pool of concepts in their head, and they have to pluck out the right one by grabbing hold of a tag attached to it.

In U, there are no tags. But, to compensate, the pool is not unordered. Instead of a pool, it's a complex net of 'positions', linked to one another in a certain pattern. Each concept occupies a place on the net. [the net is probably fractal and multidimensional]

So, to 'access' a concept, the speakers 'physically manipulate' an imagined net with their arms, to move from the place where one concept is stored to a place where another concept is stored. Then they pluck out that concept, that word, and place it in a 'sandbox', as it were, of concepts. The concepts remain in that sandbox throughout the conversation, and can easily be re-accessed by simply 'physically' picking them up and using them. And differen't speakers, if close enough, can manipulate words in each other's sandboxes (or on their 'table', perhaps would be a simpler metaphor, if less aquatic). There are then functional gestures to indicate how one word is being used with the other, which I believe takes the form of effectively 'attaching' words to one another.

So, for example, to say "shark ate clownfish", you use your (many, many) arms to navigate through the imaginary net from an 'access point' (chosen/defined through the pragmatic context of the conversation, loaded with implications about politeness and purpose) to the place where 'shark' is stored, and also the places where 'eat' and 'clownfish' are stored. Possibly simultaneously, depending on how many arms you have free. You take those concepts and put them on your table, and then you enact attachin 'clownfish' and 'shark' to 'eat' in a way that distinguishes subject and object through location/orientation. This creates a compound concept of a shark eating a clownfish, and then there's probably a further way of moving that concept, or gesturing to it, that signifies the past tense.

Excitingly, speakers can in reverse place concepts from the table - taken from elsewhere in the net, or from the interlocutor's net, or summoned deictically from the environment - back into the net at a new location. This can create new vocabulary, and results in the same (or very similar! with scope for differences in nuance!) concepts being found in multiple locations, which can slash navigation time from concept to concept.

[we might at first assume the net was arranged logically, with similar concepts near to one another. It's not. Items are arranged so as to minimise navigation time/space between things that are likely to be involved in the same expressions - so 'shark' and 'eat' are probably very close!]

But the exciting thing about that is: there's only one U language for all speakers across the globe! But it's not mutually intelligible. What happens in effect is that speakers of nearby 'dialects' chiefly remain within certain adjacent parts of the net, while speakers far away may occupy very different parts - parts so remote that the different speakers may be unfamiliar with them. But as you move from community to community, you move linguistically as well as geographically, but adjacent dialects remain intelligible because they simply use adjacent, overlapping areas of the net. [Likewise the net evolves over time]

[this is probably an exaggeration; there may also be different 'accents' in how, for instance, you symbolise your navigation of the net. But the differences I think would be very small compared to human linear syntax variation]

Oh yes, if it's not clear, U isn't exactly linear. Obviously conversations take time so there's an inherent linear dimension. But because concepts are also arranged on the table in (imagined) space, they can be 'used' non-linearly or even simultaneously - you can talk about a shark eating a clownfish over HERE, while simultaneously (thanks to your many arms!) talking about geopolitics over at THIS part of the table. You can even 'steal' words and sentences that have been left lying on an adjacent conversation! And while you're using concepts on the table, you can still be finding new ones in the net. Unlike in Human, "saying" a word and "using" it aren't the same action - you can say a word long before you actually use it. [the pragmatic nuances of the words left lying around unused during a conversation must be immense! Where a human might talk positively about a popular politician and then go "COUGH dictator COUGH" to indicate their real feelings, U speakers can simply discreetly place 'dictator' in a corner of their table the entire time... and they probably do this with multiple things ALL tHE TIME. (eg there will be constant choices about which words and sentences to leave 'lying around' as the conversation moves on, and which to discard)]

Obviously, speaking U requires phenomenal powers of spatial visualisation and memory. This is a feature - I wanted somethin humans couldn't speak even if they wanted to. [and U speakers might say that a human rote-memorising maybe 40,000 near-random, unconnected 'words', and using them in speech in an entirely linear way that required speakers to mentally access things said long before but without any spatial cues or even temporal reference marks to act as reminders, was an unrealistic thing...]

-------------

This, however, may be a bit too loglangy and human.

So more recently I've thought of a modification: what if words aren't one position on the net, but a PAIR of positions? This greatly increases the storage density of the net. It also inherently embeds a concept of argument structure - subject and object could be 'placed' onto different 'ends' of the word (some words may even include more than two points). And it further breaks the sign/signifier pairing, since there would be navigational choices even WITHIN the articulation of a word (moving from one end to the other). The 'use' phase could then be, in effect, the construction of a parallel, temporary net. (or more than one!) But I've not really thought through the implications of this idea.

[you could go further and make the word the specific ROUTE between two or more points, which would further increase density of storage. But it would restore an element of the sign/signifier pairing, and feels less exciting]
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

I really like the idea (independent of the non-sign part). Could one describe each actual realization if a concept as a series of arrows guiding your path from the access point (or from the last used point) to the position of the concept in the net? Or as a vector maybe?
And if you can place concepts permanently in new positions in the net, wouldn't that constitute language change and create multiple distinct languages?
Also, your second idea sounds a lot like string theory but for conlanging [xD]
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

A video language on something like a sentient cuttlefish. Some morphemes could be iconic, looking like a visual representation of the referent, but over time, they could easily change to be less and less iconic.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
Glenn
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Glenn »

Khemehekis wrote: 10 Dec 2023 23:18
Yep!
I am quite impressed with 2c2e19, although it took a few tries for me to get my head around it.
Imralu wrote: 11 Dec 2023 09:20 A video language on something like a sentient cuttlefish. Some morphemes could be iconic, looking like a visual representation of the referent, but over time, they could easily change to be less and less iconic.
Some twenty-odd years ago, I read Dreams of the Earth and Sky by Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, which was first published in 1895. (I was living in a furnished apartment in Moscow, in a room with a full bookcase, and Tsiolkovsky's work was one of the books on it.) In it, Tsiolkovsky writes about theories of rocket flight and orbital mechanics, but in the final chapters, he imagines life forms (or engineered humans) capable of living in outer space and obtaining energy through photosynthesis. I read that and wrote a description of a giant life form engineered to live in space, with a body consisting of large lobes that can spread out to collect solar energy, and a central body core with a sort of built-in rocket for locomotion. I imagined them using radio signals for communication, but also having an area of color-changing cells on one or more lobes for short-range communication. Unfortunately, I never pursued the idea further, or tried to create a language. (I was familar with constructed languages from Tolkien's works, Klingon, and language creation for D&D, but had not yet heard of the term "conlang" or the online conlang community.)

I have since encountered some of these different ideas in published science fiction. Space-borne life forms are not uncommon in SF, including those used as living spaceships (one example is Sisters of the Vast Black by Lina Rather), but their language is rarely dealt with. Color-based communication pops up occasionally; Becky Chamber's Wayfarers series includes an extraterrestrial species that communicates through color-changing skin patches, and The Color of Distance by Amy Thompson has aliens that have an oral language, but express emotions through patterns of skin color.
Last edited by Glenn on 18 Dec 2023 02:13, edited 2 times in total.
Glenn
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Glenn »

@Sal: I read your description of U, which sounds extremely interesting, although it might be difficult to convey communication in U in human terms. You mention the speakers using their arms; I take it that its physical expression can be viewed as a form of sign language indicating the coordinates of the concepts?
Glenn
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Glenn »

One final thought: in thinking about "extreme" conlangs, one further example that came to mind was Eteodäole, the language of the iliu by Mark Rosenfelder (Zompist). The iliu communicate simultaneously through telepathy and oral communication; the telepathy is used to communicate the substance of a statement, while the spoken language, which resembles musical tones, communicates attitude and emotional nuance.
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Glenn wrote: 18 Dec 2023 01:32
Khemehekis wrote: 10 Dec 2023 23:18
Yep!
I am quite impressed with 2c2e19, although it took a few tries for me to get my head around it.
Whoa, thanks! Had you seen the thread before, or did you look it up after hearing it here? I haven't done a post there in a while, maybe I'll do something with it.
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Ruykkarraber family Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra Makihip-ŋAħual family Abisj
my garbage

she/her
Glenn
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Glenn »

Arayaz wrote: 18 Dec 2023 03:16Whoa, thanks! Had you seen the thread before, or did you look it up after hearing it here? I haven't done a post there in a while, maybe I'll do something with it.
I read the thread when you first posted it (I hardly ever post here, especially these days - something I am trying to rectify, at least briefly - but I lurk regularly). I almost posted a question at the time about the use of the -dd marker, since I didn't understand it, but then someone else asked the same question, and you provided an explanation.

As I said, I was impressed by the concept, which struck me as quite ambitious; if you have more to share, I will certainly read it!
Kelisot
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Kelisot »

Might not be considered 'extreme' to some people, but I once attempted a conlang in which one's speech is affected by the lunar/solar cycle. There's even one when the sun/moon is gone.