Usani Language and Scratchpad

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
LinguoFranco
greek
greek

Usani Language and Scratchpad

Post by LinguoFranco »

Usani is my latest conlanging project so far, and one that I am content with the direction it is heading in.

Usani's phonology isn't super complicated. At most, a syllable can be either CVV or CVC. However, the coda is limited to a handful of consonants, although I might change that, later.

Here are its consonants:

/m n/
/p t t͡ɕ k/
/b d d͡ʑ g/
/s ɕ x~χ/
/l ɫ j w/

-/x~x/ is supposed to be free variation between the voiceless velar fricative and the voiceless uvular fricative, but it didn't show up that way, for some reason. The realization of this phoneme varies depending on the individual speaker.

-/k g/ are [kx gɣ] before back vowels

-Gemination is rare, only occurring under specific circumstances: as a form of reduplication, a fixation (e.g. /ka.nːo/ being the result of the stem /kan/ + the suffix -/no/), and when a consonant follows a stressed, open syllable with a short vowel.

And its vowels:

/a e i o u/
/aː eː iː oː uː/

- Short, unstressed /i u/ are devoiced (similar to Japanese) when they are followed by a stressed syllable.

Primary stress is always on the penultimate mora. That is, if the final syllable is heavy (CVV or CVC), it gets stressed. Otherwise, the penult is stressed. Secondary stress only occurs in compound words and foreign loans.

Grammar:

I'm still working on this part, so there isn't much in the way of grammar, yet, but I will note a few features I have or plan to implement into the language soon.

Usani relies on verb conjugation over case marking to express sentences. However, person isn't overtly marked on the verb, but it still must agree with the number and gender of the subject.

E.g. /o.ˈmaː/- "to speak," vs /o.maː.ˈkuː/ "He speaks." -/kuː/ is the conjugation for masculine singular, but doesn't specify person. It could mean "I speak," if the speaker is masculine.

Another feature of note is that demonstratives can also serve as pronouns for inanimate nominals, basically serving the same role as "it," does in English.
Last edited by LinguoFranco on 22 Mar 2024 01:02, edited 1 time in total.
Arayaz
roman
roman

Re: Usani Language and Scratchpad

Post by Arayaz »

LinguoFranco wrote: 22 Mar 2024 00:45 -/x~x/ is supposed to be free variation between the voiceless velar fricative and the voiceless uvular fricative, but it didn't show up that way, for some reason. The realization of this phoneme varies depending on the individual speaker.
The CBB ─ all PHPBBs, for that matter ─ display the voiceless uvular fricative as <x>. I use /X/ for the uvular one on here.
LinguoFranco wrote: 22 Mar 2024 00:45 -/k g/ are [kx gɣ] before back vowels

-Gemination is rare, only occurring under specific circumstances: as a form of reduplication, a fixation (e.g. /ka.nːo/ being the result of the stem /kan/ + the suffix -/no/), and when a consonant follows a stressed, open syllable.

And its vowels:

/a e i o u/
/aː eː iː oː uː/

- Short, unstressed /i u/ are devoiced (similar to Japanese) following a stressed syllable.
Aha, I knew Japanese was an influence.
LinguoFranco wrote: 22 Mar 2024 00:45 Usani relies on verb conjugation over case marking to express sentences. However, person isn't overtly marked on the verb, but it still must agree with the number and gender of the subject.

E.g. /o.ˈmaː/- "to speak," vs /o.maː.ˈkuː/ "He speaks." -/kuː/ is the conjugation for masculine singular, but doesn't specify person. It could mean "I speak," if the speaker is masculine.
Like the Russian past tense?
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Ruykkarraber family Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra Makihip-ŋAħual family Abisj
my garbage

she/her
LinguoFranco
greek
greek

Post by LinguoFranco »

Arayaz wrote: 22 Mar 2024 01:00
LinguoFranco wrote: 22 Mar 2024 00:45 -/x~x/ is supposed to be free variation between the voiceless velar fricative and the voiceless uvular fricative, but it didn't show up that way, for some reason. The realization of this phoneme varies depending on the individual speaker.
The CBB ─ all PHPBBs, for that matter ─ display the voiceless uvular fricative as <x>. I use /X/ for the uvular one on here.
LinguoFranco wrote: 22 Mar 2024 00:45 -/k g/ are [kx gɣ] before back vowels

-Gemination is rare, only occurring under specific circumstances: as a form of reduplication, a fixation (e.g. /ka.nːo/ being the result of the stem /kan/ + the suffix -/no/), and when a consonant follows a stressed, open syllable.

And its vowels:

/a e i o u/
/aː eː iː oː uː/

- Short, unstressed /i u/ are devoiced (similar to Japanese) following a stressed syllable.
Aha, I knew Japanese was an influence.
LinguoFranco wrote: 22 Mar 2024 00:45 Usani relies on verb conjugation over case marking to express sentences. However, person isn't overtly marked on the verb, but it still must agree with the number and gender of the subject.

Like the Russian past tense?
Yeah, Japanese was definitely an influence, though the comments I got about the audio recordings was that it sounded kinda like Nahuatl, at least before I added a voicing contrast in the stops.

I'm not familiar with the Russian past tense. Tell me more.
Visions1
greek
greek

Post by Visions1 »

I like it so far. I'm looking forwards to see how you deal with person.
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

LinguoFranco wrote: 22 Mar 2024 03:53 I'm not familiar with the Russian past tense. Tell me more.
It is an old Proto-Slavic participle 'having done'. It has gender and number inflection.
Different Slavic languages differ in where the copula is used with it. Russian is a zero-copula language and it's never used.
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

LinguoFranco wrote: 22 Mar 2024 03:53 I'm not familiar with the Russian past tense. Tell me more.
It distinguishes gender rather than person (I think because it comes from a participle)
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Ruykkarraber family Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra Makihip-ŋAħual family Abisj
my garbage

she/her