Kahóra: the Language of Dreams

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Kahóra: the Language of Dreams

Post by Arayaz »

I'm using my 1,300th CBB post (!!!) to announce Kahóra, a language I am working on with my beloved Sketch. It's a bit disorganized and just for fun, and not set in UC1 like our other collaborative project.

Before I go any further, I'd like to point out that this is absolutely not intended to be naturalistic. As I called it when we were discussing it earlier today:
Arayaz wrote:a kitchen sink, but made by a professional plumber
Backstory

It all started when Sketch and I met, on a cool summer night in Las Vegas, over a fancy cocktail at a bar.

Okay, that's not true. We met on tumblr, and were mutuals for a few weeks. Then we started talking about making a collablang together (that language is currently called ??? Arskiilz, and is in my signature), and from that project we became friendly. Then one day, Sketch mentioned to me that the day after we had started talking about the collablang, she had dreamed that we started it ─ and in her dream, it had the following phonemic inventory:

/ʃ x ʁ ʕ/
/æ ɑ/

That's not a joke. Nothing other than that.

And I, being the way that I am, saw this and saw an opportunity. So then we made it into an actual language. And she and I shall reveal more about that language in this thread. For now, I must leave you. Stay tuned!
Last edited by Arayaz on 27 Apr 2024 17:36, edited 1 time in total.
proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-september-6th-2022 gang

my garbage2c2ef0, areyaxi family, arskiilz, kahóra, xúuuatxia, alushi, njabad, ẹlnk, kakúsan

she/her
DV82LECM
sinic
sinic

Re: Kahóra: the Language of Dreams

Post by DV82LECM »

Minimalistic af! By the name, may I wager that /ɑ/ has an allophone [o] before /ʁ/?
𖥑𖧨𖣫𖦺𖣦𖢋𖤼𖥃𖣔𖣋𖢅𖡹𖡨𖡶𖡦𖡧𖡚𖠨
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

DV82LECM wrote: 18 Apr 2024 18:23 Minimalistic af! By the name, may I wager that /ɑ/ has an allophone [o] before /ʁ/?
Actually, we just romanized /æ ɑ/ as <a o> ─ kahóra is something like [kʰæ˧ʕɑ˦˥ʁæ˥].
proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-september-6th-2022 gang

my garbage2c2ef0, areyaxi family, arskiilz, kahóra, xúuuatxia, alushi, njabad, ẹlnk, kakúsan

she/her
TBPO
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by TBPO »

Nice conlang! I'm waiting for more details.
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

TBPO wrote: 30 Apr 2024 09:02 Nice conlang! I'm waiting for more details.
Thank you!

More Phonology Details

We've expanded the phonology of the language somewhat; we have nasal vowels now, which allophonically nasalize the consonant after them, producing /ɲ ŋ ɴ/ <n g ŋ> (ʕ nasalizes to ɴ). The nasal vowels are romanized with ogoneks, so we have for example /xɑ̃ʕɑʁæ/ [kɑ̃˧ɴɑ˧ʁæ˧] kǫŋora.

Then, I should point out our other allophony: the fricatives /ʃ x ʁ ʕ/ fortify to [t͡ʃ k q ʔ] word-initially. (This is how we got the k in kahóra.)

I'll talk about the tone later.

she/her
TBPO
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by TBPO »

We have phonemes and allophones, and we will have also tones, but what about morphosyntax and lexicon? For example, how to say "I will eat five sausages"?
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

TBPO wrote: 30 Apr 2024 16:01 We have phonemes and allophones, and we will have also tones, but what about morphosyntax and lexicon? For example, how to say "I will eat five sausages"?
Patience, grasshopper! All shall be revealed with time [:D]

Edit: This is the Conlangs subforums's 122,233th post!

she/her
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

Tones

The Kahóra tonal system is one of the following:
  • A pitch accent system
  • A misunderstanding of what pitch accent is
  • The least naturalistic tonal system in existence
There are four "tones" in Kahóra:
  • The UPSTEP <á> ─ all syllables before it are mid tone, and it and all after are high.
  • The DOWNSTEP <à> ─ all syllables before it are mid tone, and it and all after are low.
  • The PEAK <â> ─ it is high, all others are mid
  • The VALLEY <ǎ> ─ it is low, all others are mid
Every word has a tone rule such as "upstep on second syllable" or "valley on penultimate syllable" or "no tone at all." The syllable assignments may count up to three steps from either end of the word. However, one should note that Category 1 affixes (most affixes are this category) shift this. For example, the second-person pronoun is /xɑ/, with a valley on the last syllable. Normally, this would be , but with the accusative suffix /-ʕɑ/, it becomes kohǒ ─ the valley is always on the last syllable of the word.

she/her
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

I would say that this looks like a pitch accent plus word melody system, which has definitely been suggested before for some natlangs.
I find the terms upstep and downstep a bit confusing because they usually refer to tonal registers (the overall pitch level that tones are relative to) and not to tonal melodies.
One could think of it as a pitch accent with tones associated to the accented syllable and then spreading tl the left and to the right. This would give the following melodies.
Upstep=MH
Downstep=ML
Peak=MHM
Valley=MLM

You could get rid of the initial mid tones if all spreading is rightwards.

The root determining the overall stress pattern strikes me as unusual. Is it inspired by a natlang?
Edit: I actually did something similar in Kobardon, also before I learned anything about tone.
Edit:
Last edited by Creyeditor on 24 May 2024 17:31, edited 1 time in total.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

Creyeditor wrote: 24 May 2024 17:22I would say that this looks like a pitch accent plus word melody system, which has definitely been suggested before for some natlangs.
Oh, cool! Which natlangs?
Creyeditor wrote: 24 May 2024 17:22I find the terms upstep and downstep a bit confusing because they usually refer to tonal registers (the overall pitch level that tones are relative to) and not to tonal melodies.
Hmmm. What could I replace it with?
Creyeditor wrote: 24 May 2024 17:22One could think of it as a pitch accent with tones associated to the accented syllable and then spreading tl the left and to the right. This would give the following melodies.
Upstep=MH
Downstep=ML
Peak=MHM
Valley=MLM

You could get rid of the initial mid tones if all spreading is rightwards.
I like that. Nice and simple.
Creyeditor wrote: 24 May 2024 17:22The root determining the overall stress pattern strikes me as unusual. Is it inspired by a natlang?
Nope. I just randomly came up with it. I think it was partially inspired by my own previous notational shortcomings.

she/her
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

When I have some more time I can point you to some languages that have been described like this.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]