Hi'im conlang

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
TBPO
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Hi'im conlang

Post by TBPO »

Hi'im is my conlang in which almost all words are derivated from the others.

Phonology

/p b p͡f b͡v f v m/ p b p̆ b̆ f v m
/ t d t͡s d͡z s z n/ t d c d̆ s z n
/k g k͡x g͡ɣ x ɣ ŋ/ k g k̆ ğ h h̆ n̆
/ɦ/ '
/a e i o u/ a e i o u
No diphtongs.

Each verb has consonant cluster on a final position.
Syllable structure is (C)(V)(C)(C). (Yes - a vowel is optional).

Syntax and inflection

Hi'im is SVO and has 4 parts of speech: Noun, Verb, Functor and Numeral. Only verbs are inflected. A vowel added at the beginning of a verb indicates the person of its subject, and at the end - the person of its object.
a - 1. person
o - 2. person
i - 3. person
e - something/someone
u - anything/everything/anyone/everyone

For example, hn means to greet. What means ahno? Initial a means that subject's person is first person, and final o means that object's person is second.
Ahno = [1. person] [to greet] [2. person]
i.e.
Ahno = I greet you / Hello!

A [word1] turns word1 into its opposite. For example, ahno (I-greet-you) means hello, and a ahno (OPP I-greet-you) means goodbye. E [noun] [verb], means [verb]ing noun, and e [verb] [noun] means [verb]ed [noun]. For example, e pas ihl (REL dog it-greet) means dog that greets, and e ahli pas (REL I-greet-it dog) means dog that I greet.

Verb derivation

Hi'im has complex derivation system that allows you to create thousands of words from just a few roots. As an example, we will use root ps, which means to bite.

Every verb can be derivated to a noun, breaking its final consonant cluster with a vowel. The vowel used determines how the verb will be transformed into a noun.
a - Metaphorical nominative of the verb
o - Metaphorical accusative of the verb
i - Metaphorical instrumental of the verb
e - Metaphorical dative of the verb
u - Metaphorical enabler (see: Ithkuil) of the verb
Edit: Metaphorical dative, if dative makes no sense, can be used as miscellaneous modification
For example:
pas - dog - dog bites
pos - prey - dog bites the prey
pis - teeth - dog bites with teeth
pes - blind spot - dog bites blind spot of the prey
pus - provocator - provocator causes dog to bite

To be verbs cannot derivate to nouns.

Noun derivation

Every noun can be derivated to a verb, turning its final consonant to consonant cluster. There are 2 ways to do it: T transformation, which turns [noun] to verb to be [noun], and C transformation, which turn the noun to verb, which is related to it, but it's not a verb from which this noun is derivated.

Here's a table that shows the T and C transformations.
Consonant - T transformation - C transformation
p - p̆ - ps
b - b̆ - bz
p̆ - pn - p̆s
b̆ - bn - b̆z
f - fp - fp̆
v - vb - vb̆
m - mp - mz
t - c - tf
d - d̆ - dv
c - tn̆ - cf
d̆ - dn̆ - d̆v
s - st - sc
z - zd - zd̆
n - nt - nd̆
k - k̆ - ks
g - ğ - gz
k̆ - kn - k̆s
ğ - gn - ğz
h - hk - hk̆
h̆ - h̆g - hğ (read h̆ğ)
n̆ - n̆k - n̆g

Some examples:
past - to be a dog
post - to be a prey
pist - to be a teeth
pest - to be a blind spot
pust - to be a provocator
pasc - to show love to someone
posc - to run from danger
pisc - to brush
pesc - to show up blind spot
pusc - to provocate

Lexicon
a - opposite of...
e - -ing or -ed
ps - to bite
pas - a dog
past - to be a dog
pasc - to show love to someone
pos - a prey
post - to be a prey
posc - to run from danger
pis - teeth
pist - to be a teeth
pisc - to brush
pisic - a brush
pisicf - to polish
pisicof - new thing
pisicofp - to be new
pes - blind spot
pest - to be a blind spot
pesc - to show up a blind spot
pus - provocator
pust - to be a provocator
pusc - to provocate
pusac - a rodeo man
pusoc - a bull
hn - to greet
Ahno! - Hello!
a hn - to say goodbye
A ahno! - Goodbye!
hin - language
Hi'im - Hi'im (it should be Hi'in)
nf - to create
a nf - to destroy

Phrases

Ipsu.
it-bite-everything
It bites everyone.

Ipisitn̆.
it-be.a.brush
It's a brush.

Apusco a onfi pisicof.
I-provocate-you OPP you-create-it new.thing
I provocate you to destroy a new thing.

Apisci e pas ipso.
I-brush-it REL dog it-bite-you
I brush the dog that bites you.
Last edited by TBPO on 28 Apr 2024 10:14, edited 3 times in total.
TBPO
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Re: Hi'im conlang

Post by TBPO »

Alphabetical order
Hi'im hasn't its own alphabet now, but phoneme order is very important to own numeral system.
Vowels: a o i e u
Consonants: t c p b̆ ğ s d̆ k v g h̆ n̆ p k̆ d b h f p̆ z m
Apostrophe isn't important now.

Numerals
Numerals are created in other way than nouns or verbs - instead of being derivated from other nouns and verbs, they are created by using special construction, separate of the rest of the language.

Numerals from 1 to 5 are formed by inserting the appropriate vowel before 't. For example, 1 is a't, 2 is o't e.t.c.

Numerals from 6 to 105 are formed, inserting appropriate consonant on the place of t. For example, 6 is a'c, 7 is o'c, and 27 is o's.

In general, numerals are formed using the following formula: V'CVCVC...

Proper names

Proper names from other languages are treated as normal words.
If in outer proper name inflection collides with vowels of it, an apostrophe is inserted between vowels, and when we try to transform it into a verb when final character is a vowel, we add final apostrophe with repetiton of final vowel after it.
For example, let's try to say this is Almea. We know that gloss of result will be something like it-Almea-T.transformation, but transformations don't apply to a vowels. Rule written above solves the problem: we add apostrophe and a. The result's gloss is something like it-Almea'a, and result is something like iAlmea'a. But there's the next problem: the vowels cannot be adjacent. And next rule solves also this problem: we insert an apostrophe between the vowels. So the final result is i'Almea'a.

When we want to transform native word into a proper name we, after root's last vowel, insert apostrophe, and then repetition of that vowel. For example, naf is creator, and Na'af is Creator.

More words

naf - creator, artist
nof - artifical thing
nif - a tool
nef - subject of creation
nuf - the inspiration
hind̆ - to speak
hinad̆ - speaker
hinod̆ - message
hinid̆ - mouth
hined̆ - listener
hinud̆ - thought
hinud̆v - to think
hinud̆iv - a mind
hinud̆ovb̆ - to have an opinion
tn̆ - to live in
tan̆ - people
ton̆ - place
ten̆ - world

More phrases

Ahinud̆ovb̆ anef.
I-have.opinion I-be.a.subject.of.creation
I think that we are the crown of creation.

E atn̆ ten̆ inofp̆.
REL I-live.in world it-be.artifical
We live in the simulation.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

TBPO wrote: 26 Apr 2024 13:53 [...]
Syntax and inflection
[...]

E [noun] [verb], means [verb]ing noun, and e [verb] [noun] means [verb]ed [noun]. For example, e pas ihl (REL dog it-greet) means dog that greets, and e ahli pas (REL I-greet-it dog) means dog that I greet.
[...]
I like this part. Word order as the distinguishing factor between an active participle and a passive participle. That sounds like a good use of syntax in conlanging, unique yet naturalistic.

I also like the allomorphy/consonant mutation that you call T transformation and C transformation.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
TBPO
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by TBPO »

Functors

This is complete list of functors in Hi'im. N means noun, V means verb, and W means word.

a W - opposite of W (opposition NOT NEGATION)
o W - what W? (open question)
Spoiler:
Note that in Hi'im something like closed question doesn't exist. This is supposed to make the language user have to exert themselves intellectually, which is intended to increase the IQ of the Earth's population.
Edit: i W Num - Num modifies meaning of W
e N V - N that Vs (active voice participle)
e V N - N that someone Vs (passive voice participle)
u W - many (times) W

When 2 one-vowel words are adjacent, they are merged into V'V word.

More about numerals

Numerals modify previous word's meaning.
N Num - Num Ns
V Num - I's hard to describe. For example, ipisicofp means it's new, and ipisicofp o't means it's 2 years old.
Edit: W Num - Num Ws / Num times W
i - zero
Edit: Now zero is a'
a Num - 1/Num

Cases

In Hi'im they are 5 cases:
-Nominative
-Absolutive
-Instrumental -i
-Dative -e
-Causative -u
Spoiler:
Nominative and absolutive cases are cases are specified by word order, not the endings.
Dative can be used to describe miscellaneous things, if it doesn't make sense.
More words

o - open question marker
i - zero
Edit: i - numeric modification marker
a' - zero
u - many
tan̆g - to live with
tan̆og - family
ton̆g - to be in
tin̆ - routine
tin̆g - act according to routine
ten̆g - to explore
tun̆ - migration reason
tun̆g - to migrate
hinod̆v - to chat with
hinod̆iv - communicator
Hinod̆i'iv - Messenger
nifp̆ - to use as a tool
nifap̆ - user
gb - to possess
gab - possesor
gob - possesed
gib - possesion tool
gub - giver
gubz - to give

Some phrases

Ahinod̆vi Hinod̆i'ivi.
I-chat-it Messenger-INS
I chat with him on Messenger.

Atan̆gi atan̆og.
I-live.with-it I-family.
I live with my family.

Ogbi u'o pas
you-possess-it PL Q dog
What dogs do you have a lot of?
Last edited by TBPO on 27 Apr 2024 18:40, edited 1 time in total.
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

This is a creative engelang; I like its phonoaesthetic very much.
TBPO wrote: 26 Apr 2024 18:05 hind̆ - to speak
hinad̆ - speaker
hinod̆ - message
hinid̆ - mouth
hined̆ - listener
hinud̆ - thought
hinud̆v - to think
hinud̆iv - a mind
hinud̆ovb̆ - to have an opinion
This reminds me of the triconsonantal root system of the Semitic languages.

Could you say more about its setting?
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra Xúuuatxia
my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
TBPO
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by TBPO »

It has no setting, it is purely philosophical language; but I can make setting for this conlang if you want.
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

TBPO wrote: 27 Apr 2024 17:17 It has no setting, it is purely philosophical language; but I can make setting for this conlang if you want.
Ah, I had thought it was the language of some science fiction setting, due to the example sentence calling the world a simulation (which I thought might also have something to do with The Matrix), and this note:
TBPO wrote: 27 Apr 2024 14:07This is supposed to make the language user have to exert themselves intellectually, which is intended to increase the IQ of the Earth's population.
which made me think of, perhaps, a global auxlang designed to "facilitate easy communication" or something, imposed by whichever empire rules the world in the setting.
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
TBPO
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by TBPO »

Arayaz wrote: 27 Apr 2024 17:33
TBPO wrote: 27 Apr 2024 17:17 It has no setting, it is purely philosophical language; but I can make setting for this conlang if you want.
Ah, I had thought it was the language of some science fiction setting, due to the example sentence calling the world a simulation (which I thought might also have something to do with The Matrix), and this note:
TBPO wrote: 27 Apr 2024 14:07This is supposed to make the language user have to exert themselves intellectually, which is intended to increase the IQ of the Earth's population.
which made me think of, perhaps, a global auxlang designed to "facilitate easy communication" or something, imposed by whichever empire rules the world in the setting.
This looks interesting, but unfortunaly I have two left hands when I try to worldbuild, and science fiction looks harder than fantasy or historical conworld.
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

TBPO wrote: 27 Apr 2024 18:31
This looks interesting, but unfortunaly I have two left hands when I try to worldbuild, and science fiction looks harder than fantasy or historical conworld.
Don't worry, I'm not a very good worldbuilder either, and a conlang can exist independent of a setting; most philosophical languages in fact do.

my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
TBPO
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by TBPO »

Numeric meaning change

If in Hi'im derivation to word W is very hard with only noun-verb and verb-noun convertions, Numeric Meaning Change (NMC) will save you.
I W Num - this construction Changes the Meaning of the word with the Number that determines which meaning is used. All words that are derivated with this method are inside the semantic category of theirs parent. For example, ghem means (saturate) color, and i ghem a't means red.

Some new words

h̆m - to see
h̆am - observer
h̆om - observation subject
h̆im - eye(s)
h̆em - saturate color
i h̆em a't - red/pink
i h̆em o't - orange/brown
i h̆em i't - yellow/skinnish
a'i h̆em a't - green/light blue (grue)
a'i h̆em o't - dark blue/indigo
a'i h̆em i't - violet/purple
a h̆em - monochromatic color
i'a h̆em a't - black
i'a h̆em o't - grey
i'a h̆em i't - white
h̆um - curiosity
zc - to move
zic - body
zicf - to move a body part
zicof - body part
i zicof a't - head
i zicof o't - hand/arm
i zicof i't - corpse
i zicof e't - leg/foot
zuc - mover
zucf - to push
sf - to grow (100th word)

Basic roots list

ps - to bite
hn - to greet
nf - to create
tn̆ - to live in
gb - to possese
h̆m - to see
zc - to move
sf - to grow

More phrases

Ah̆mi i h̆em a't ah̆imi.
I-see-it NMC color 1 I-eye-INS
I see red color with my eyes.

I azicof o't i izicofp̆ i't.
NMC I-body.part 2 NMC it-be.colored 3
My hand is skinnish (color).
Edit: I will repair it later.
Arayaz wrote: 27 Apr 2024 18:34
Don't worry, I'm not a very good worldbuilder either, and a conlang can exist independent of a setting; most philosophical languages in fact do.
I decided that this conlang will not have a setting.
Last edited by TBPO on 28 Apr 2024 16:54, edited 1 time in total.
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

Arayaz wrote: 27 Apr 2024 18:34
Conlangs of this kind usually aren't associated with a fictional setting.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

WeepingElf wrote: 28 Apr 2024 13:18
Arayaz wrote: 27 Apr 2024 18:34Don't worry, I'm not a very good worldbuilder either, and a conlang can exist independent of a setting; most philosophical languages in fact do.
Conlangs of this kind usually aren't associated with a fictional setting.
Hence why I said "most philosophical languages in fact do."

my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
TBPO
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by TBPO »

I realised that I could make Hi'im better, and I decided to begin the next iteration of it. Next my post in this topic will be about the revised basics of that conlang.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

So this is the Hi'im conlang thread, or "Hi, I'm a conlang!" Cool how you make you many words with so few roots.
Creyeditor wrote: 26 Apr 2024 18:56 I like this part. Word order as the distinguishing factor between an active participle and a passive participle. That sounds like a good use of syntax in conlanging, unique yet naturalistic.
Suddenly flasjbacks to https://cbbforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=304999#p304999 , when you said about my Shaleyan's use of word order to indicate morphosyntactic alignment in a split-S language:

"First of all, this looks very interesting and original to me. I do not think any natlang that I know of does this and still it is naturalistic."
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 91,012 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
TBPO
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by TBPO »

Xi'im is the engelang in which almost every word can be derivated from others. This post is about the phonology of second iteration of it.

Phonology

/p b p͡f b͡v f v m/ p b p̆ b̆ f v m
/ t d t͡s d͡z s z n/ t d c d̆ s z n
/k g k͡x g͡ɣ x ɣ ŋ/ k g k̆ ğ x x̆ n̆
/ɦ/ '
/a o i e u y/ a o i e u y
/aɪ̯ ɛɪ̯ iː oɪ̯ uɪ̯ y̯i/ ai ei ii oi ui yi

Combination stop/affricate+fricative with the same place of articulation is forbidden.
Diphtongs are treated as single phonemes.
You can replace problematic letters with digraphs:
p̆ b̆ d̆ k̆ ğ x̆ n̆ -> pf bv dz kx gx gh nh

Possible syllables: V, CV, CVC, CVCC, CC
Last edited by TBPO on 01 May 2024 21:27, edited 1 time in total.
TBPO
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by TBPO »

Syntax and inflection

Xi'im is SVO and has 3 parts of speech: Noun, Verb and Modifier. Nouns and verbs are inflected.

Verbs are inflected by person twice. A vowel added at the beginning of a verb indicates the person of its subject, and at the end - the person of its object.
a - 1. person - 1P - I, we
o - 2. person - 2P - you
i - 3. person - 3P - he, she, it, they (e.g. chair)
e - 1. quantifier - 1Q - something, someone, some
u - 2. quantifier - 2Q - everything, everyone anything, anyone, all, every
y - 3. person animate - 3PA - it, they (e.g. time)
For example, xm means to greet, and axmo (1P-greet-2P) means I greet you or hello.

a W - opposite of W
e N V - Ving N
e V N - Ning V
Spoiler:
For example, e baz ixm (REL animal 3P-greet) means animal that greets, and e axmi baz (REL 1P-greet-3P animal) means animal that I greet. Also, a axmo (OPP 1P-greet-2P) means goodbye.
Nouns are inflected by person and case. Cases:
a - Ergative - A Vs - ending is optional if A is before V
o - Absolutive - A Vs B - ending is optional if B if after V
i - Instrumental - A Vs using B
e - Benefactive - A Vs for B
u - Causative (Makive?) - A makes B V
Spoiler:
Can you help me choose case's name? Causative is already in linguistics with other meaning and I don't want to confuse conlngers, and Makive sounds nooblangish. Please help!
ai - Locative - A Vs in/on/at B
oi - Genitive - A's B
For example, abaza (1P-animal-ERG) means animal which I am does something and ybazoi (3PA-animal-GEN) means of the/an animal (as abstract concept).

Some exercises:
1. What means exma ubaze?
2. Translate Goodbye, animals! into Xi'im.
Arayaz
roman
roman

Re: Xi'im conlang

Post by Arayaz »

So it's Xi'im now?

my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
TBPO
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Re: Xi'im conlang

Post by TBPO »

Arayaz wrote: 01 May 2024 21:36 So it's Xi'im now?
Yes, it's now Xi'im. I decided that representing /x/ with "h" is illogical, and, like Lojban, Xi'im now represents /x/ as "x".
pizua
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by pizua »

Dunno how much you've developed this lang by now but so far it's cool how simple yet dense it is, looks promising, keep it up [:D]
vulkan reintro post soon (hopefully)
TBPO
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by TBPO »

Verb-to-noun derivation

Hi'im has complex derivation system that allows you to create thousands of words from just a few roots. As an example, we will use root bz, which means to eat.

Every verb can be derivated to a noun, breaking its final consonant cluster with a vowel. The vowel used determines how the verb will be transformed into a noun. All verb-to-noun transformations ale metaphorical - e.g. baz is animal, not eater.
a - Ergative transformation (t.)
o - Absolutive t.
i - Instrumental t.
e - Benefactive t.
u - Causatal t.
y - Gerundive t.
ai - Locative t.
ii - Temporal t.

For example:
baz - animal (including human)
boz - food
biz - teeth
bez - eater
buz - hunger
byz - eating
baiz - dining room
biiz - meal time
Spoiler:
To be verbs cannot derivate to nouns.
V ka V - sentence combining
ca N N ... x̆a - object list
Noun-to-verb derivation

Every noun can be derivated to a verb, turning its final consonant to consonant cluster. There are 3 ways to do it. Basic is T transformation, which turns N to verb to be N. There are also C and S transformations, which both turn the noun to verb, which is related to it, but it's not a verb from which this noun is derivated; the difference is that C t. has more active meaning, and S t. - more passive.

Here's a table that shows the T, C and S transformations.
Consonant - T - C - S
p - p̆s - ps - px
b - b̆z - bz - bx̆
p̆ - p̆n - pn - p̆x
b̆ - b̆n - bn - b̆x̆
f - fp - fp̆ - fs
v - vb - vb̆ - vz
m - mb - mb̆ - mv
t - cf - tf - tx
d - d̆v - dv - dx̆
c - cm - tm - cx
d̆ - d̆m - dm - d̆x̆
s - st - sc - sf
z - zd - zd̆ - zv
n - nd - nd̆ - nz
k - k̆s - ks - kf
g - ğz - gz - gn
k̆ - k̆n - kn - k̆m
ğ - ğn - gn - ğm
x - xk - xk̆ - xs
x̆ - x̆g - x̆ğ - x̆z
n̆ - n̆k - n̆g - n̆x

For example:
baz - animal
bazd - to be an animal
bazd̆ - to bite
bazv - to show love to someone

Basic roots

bz - to eat
xm - to greet
nf - to create
tn̆ - to live in
mt - see
ks - swear

Some exercises:
1. * Translate "creator" into Xi'im.
2. * Make Instrumental derivation of "to see" in Xi'im.
3. ** Translate "language" into English. What transformation you used?
4. ** Translate "onfi boz ka obazd̆i" into English.
5. *** Translate "You greeted me rudely" into Xi'im.