Analysis Swap?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Trailsend

Re: Analysis Swap?

Post by Trailsend »

Done! I think I got them all, please let me know if I missed any!
(it/they)
任何事物的发展都是物极必反,否极泰来。
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

Kesshin wrote: 09 May 2024 02:00 I want to, but I don't know if Daas actually has enough grammar and stuff done in it. (I might end up making stuff up as I go, which seems to be the only way Daas actually progresses)
That's how all my languages start out, and honestly only Commonthroat has gotten beyond that phase. Once a foundation is established it becomes easier to build stuff logically on top of it.
Kesshin
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Kesshin »

lurker wrote: 09 May 2024 20:06 Once a foundation is established it becomes easier to build stuff logically on top of it.
Like building a house, but for something meant to be able to describe the world in a unique and fun way!
he/him, they/them
Forgive me if I seem uneducated or disorganized, I am new to the community and vocab.

currently hyperfocused on: Daas
conlang-creature
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by conlang-creature »

Ooooh.... I like this a lot...
If I had time/more than a few words in Katebá I'd join.
A word a day keeps the scrapping away!
Current Record: 178
:usa: [:3]
Trailsend

Post by Trailsend »

I'm having such a blast XD

It would definitely be more efficient/faster if we just handed each other blocks of carefully-chosen sentences to translate, but telling the story and moving one piece at a time and unravelling the riddle of being understood while using as little English as possible is just so dang fun :P
(it/they)
任何事物的发展都是物极必反,否极泰来。
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

Trailsend wrote: 10 May 2024 02:56 I'm having such a blast XD

It would definitely be more efficient/faster if we just handed each other blocks of carefully-chosen sentences to translate, but telling the story and moving one piece at a time and unravelling the riddle of being understood while using as little English as possible is just so dang fun :P
Too often is efficiency prioritized over enjoyment. I say, let's have fun with it! And I certainly am so far. Thank you very much, Trailsend, for bestowing this upon us!!

Edit: The board's 236,500th post!
proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-september-6th-2022 gang

my garbage2c2ef0, areyaxi family, arskiilz, kahóra, xúuuatxia family, alushi, njabad, ẹlnk, kakúsan

she/her
Trailsend

Post by Trailsend »

I mean to be clear, if anyone does want to just drop a bunch of sentences to translate on me in the Hiding Waters thread, be my guest, don't anybody be beholden to my idea of a good time XD
(it/they)
任何事物的发展都是物极必反,否极泰来。
conlang-creature
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by conlang-creature »

Ok... I read the threads... First of all awesome idea, second of all may I join? This seems more like a storytelling adventure thread than an organized game but I figured I'd ask.

(Also probably the only way I'll reliably make new words.)
A word a day keeps the scrapping away!
Current Record: 178
:usa: [:3]
_Just_A_Sketch
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by _Just_A_Sketch »

conlang-creature wrote: 10 May 2024 05:25 Ok... I read the threads... First of all awesome idea, second of all may I join? This seems more like a storytelling adventure thread than an organized game but I figured I'd ask.
From what I've seen it's a very loose format. We've mostly been going with whatever feels the most fun. Also you should be able to go ahead and join by creating a thread.
I'd like to apologize for being pretty inactive these past two days, I have been very busy with schoolwork [:S] I may be able to post more tomorrow but we'll see. I've been keeping up with most of the threads though and I've got to say this has been really fun to watch!
The other proud member of myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: The Awloyan languages, Ụwwụterašerụ, Arskiilz, Kahóra, 'ai'u, Northlang V4

she/they/fluff
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

conlang-creature wrote: 10 May 2024 05:25 Ok... I read the threads... First of all awesome idea, second of all may I join? This seems more like a storytelling adventure thread than an organized game but I figured I'd ask.
I'm sure anyone can jump in at any time, the way it's going! Every thread seems to be working its own way, too.

Edit: Heh, this was my 1,500th post! I had been meaning to publish my next Xúuuatxia story with it. It's pretty unrealistic that I could've finished it that quickly, though. And I love milestone posts when they're totally random!
proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-september-6th-2022 gang

my garbage2c2ef0, areyaxi family, arskiilz, kahóra, xúuuatxia family, alushi, njabad, ẹlnk, kakúsan

she/her
Kesshin
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Kesshin »

Arayaz wrote: 10 May 2024 03:03 I say, let's have fun with it!
This game is the definition of fun.
Finding out the grammar of another language is surprisingly gratifying!
he/him, they/them
Forgive me if I seem uneducated or disorganized, I am new to the community and vocab.

Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

I’m tempted to volunteer for this using one of the Twin Aster languages.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Trailsend

Post by Trailsend »

Man in Space wrote: 10 May 2024 17:49 I’m tempted to volunteer for this using one of the Twin Aster languages.
join us

I do have to be careful about jumping into so many of these that I can't give them all proper attention XD But there's enough folks playing that it seems so far like there's enough to go around!

Kesshin wrote: 10 May 2024 15:03 This game is the definition of fun.
Finding out the grammar of another language is surprisingly gratifying!
I am so thoroughly delighted that you caught that piece in the middle of the absolute mess that is Hị́sulsixlwhisnwhị́q [xD] [xD] I predict that in not too long Arayaz is going to catch on to what that k/j alternation is about and it's gonna be great

The plot twists in Alushi have been a blast
(it/they)
任何事物的发展都是物极必反,否极泰来。
Kesshin
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Kesshin »

Trailsend wrote: 10 May 2024 19:03 I am so thoroughly delighted that you caught that piece in the middle of the absolute mess that is Hị́sulsixlwhisnwhị́q [xD] [xD] I predict that in not too long Arayaz is going to catch on to what that k/j alternation is about and it's gonna be great
Honestly so am I. I wasn't very sure about it though... I thought maybe it was just part of the word, and you were talking about it as if it had laready been mentioned...
he/him, they/them

Solarius
roman
roman

Post by Solarius »

Apologies for my slowness -- working through these! Have been fairly swamped with grad work.
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

*sighs deeply*

This would be perfect for Rawàng Ata - a simple but very non-European language - but it's in a bit of flux, and more importantly I don't currently have access to my documents for its most recent stable version. And I don't have the brainpower or time at the moment to recreate them. I could try winging it by memory and invention... but that's what I did last time you did this, and I ended up stalling out.

Alternatively, I could do Old Wenthish, which has a mostly-fixed syntax and morphology and would just need some more vocab. The downside is, everyone will be too bored to bother with it, as it's a Germanic language. It would be interesting to see how people understand/interpret the syntax, but that's probably going to take a lot of time to get deep into...
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

Salmoneus wrote: 12 May 2024 18:45 *sighs deeply*

This would be perfect for Rawàng Ata - a simple but very non-European language - but it's in a bit of flux, and more importantly I don't currently have access to my documents for its most recent stable version. And I don't have the brainpower or time at the moment to recreate them. I could try winging it by memory and invention... but that's what I did last time you did this, and I ended up stalling out.
Why can't you access the Rawàng Ata documents?

she/her
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

Field Methods was one of my two favorite classes in my linguistics studies (the other being Techniques in Historical Linguistics). I had a blast. That was, like, a dozen years ago now…

Let's throw a little element of mystery into this. The following languages are at a stage sufficient to participate; pick one:
  • Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar, Twin Aster's flagship language
  • Xı̋xǒcq Tlar Canà, because it's supposed to be of international import and Janko had me working on it again
  • Common Caber, because it's time I put this language through fuller use…and finish digitizing the glyphs
  • Archaic Vye, because it's supposed to be of major cultural import
  • Proto-Macro-Jädewan, because I need to get there eventually
Is there a list of available languages for me to do the analyzing?
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

Man in Space wrote: 13 May 2024 02:36 Is there a list of available languages for me to do the analyzing?
Arayaz: Alushi
Kesshin: Daas
Trailsend: Hiding Waters
Lurker: Commonthroat
Solarius: Hayakan
Conlang-Creature: Kateba
Flavia: Abaniscen
Visions1: Dzougedan
Thethief3: Amarin
_Just_A_Sketch: Olwöa

At least that's what I found so far.

Most of us have tried to give the game more context by injecting some narrative, but I certainly don't mind if you want to skip that and just do what you would normally do in the field. Maybe I can learn something. I only minored in linguistics in college, and that only just. They stopped offering it as a minor the literal day I declared it, and they had to fudge one of my other electives, a classical Greek class, to fit into a marginally related requirement.
Last edited by lurker on 13 May 2024 03:31, edited 1 time in total.
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

Man in Space wrote: 13 May 2024 02:36 Is there a list of available languages for me to do the analyzing?
There's one in the first post of this thread!

she/her