The worst sounding natlang ever

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
TallaFerroXIV
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: The worst sounding natlang ever

Post by TallaFerroXIV »

It's 50% English 50% Catalan.

Haven't spoke english in a while...
"Ij ogare ge kot. Ogare ke kumath."

Darun the Savage
wakeagainstthefall
sinic
sinic

Post by wakeagainstthefall »

Come on guys. Vietnamese or German.

How could someone hate Spanish? (Although sometimes it annoys me I have to admit, it's very almost unrealistic with its prettiness.)
Magnae clunes mihi placent, nec possum de hac re mentiri. -Multomixtor

:usa: :esp: :zho: :lat:
Ainuke
sinic
sinic

Post by Ainuke »

French, hands down.
Vasak Kseni du Lamisa Sensen sen.
Native: :eng:
Learning: :deu: :con: Daljetz
Interest: :esp:
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

Ainuke wrote:French, hands down.
I knew I liked you. :D
cybrxkhan
roman
roman

Post by cybrxkhan »

Looks like there's a lot of hate for Vietnamese. :-s

Being Vietnamese myself to be honest I can understand, though for me it sounds more funny than bad per se. Like seriously, I hate the orthography more. It's atrocious. I can't believe I can read and write Vietnamese with any level of decency, considering the fuckload of diacritics and different characters and tone marks and who the hell knows.
I now have a blog. Witness the horror.

I think I think, therefore I think I am.
- Ambrose Bierce
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

I think Vietnamese is neat, personally
wakeagainstthefall
sinic
sinic

cybrxkhan wrote:Like seriously, I hate the orthography more. It's atrocious. I can't believe I can read and write Vietnamese with any level of decency, considering the fuckload of diacritics and different characters and tone marks and who the hell knows.
Agreed. How do you type it?

Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

wakeagainstthefall wrote:Agreed. How do you type it?
You search an infinite stream of randomly generated unicode for the transcription you want, then use the recovered transcription.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
cybrxkhan
roman
roman

Post by cybrxkhan »

wakeagainstthefall wrote: Agreed. How do you type it?
Obviously it depends.

Sometimes you type a kind of shorthand that, while it doesn't have all the equivalents of the various diacritics and so forth, still can be read with sufficient context (or even without) - sort of like that really old trick of typing/writing English without vowels. So for instance, to type "người Việt" (the Vietnamese people", you might do it as "nguo`i Vie^t" or something like that. Obviously you can't have all the diacritics, but, as stated previously, it is possible to guess what words are being meant. I usually see this when Vietnamese people are writing emails to each other.

On the other hand, if you want to type the actual thing outright, there are several programs that can do it for you, although frankly I'm not sure exactly how they work. The one I've seen my family use works kind of like this: it's something like typing a combination of a letter and a letter or number to get your desired effect, so for instance type in "a" and "1" and you get "á", type in "a" and "2" and you get "à", type in "a" and "a" and you get "â" - stuff like that. The other programs may work differently, but I dunno.

Or you can just copy it from the internet, like I do - either I manually translate the word from English to Vietnamese on google translate and just copy and paste, or I try to find the right letter while wading through a bunch of Vietnamese text on the Viet wikipedia or something.

Or you can do what Micamo said.

All in all, it's really annoying.

- Ambrose Bierce
Vosel
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Vosel »

WinXP offer a vietnamese keyboard layout and it does not seem to be too difficult to use. I tried it and it took me less than a minute to figure out how to type "người Việt". With some training it should be no problem at all. Try it.
Pirka
roman
roman

Post by Pirka »

All the other Slavic languages except for Russian 8-) They all sound ridiculous and like baby-talk.
I think Mainland East Asian languages are aggravating. That includes Korean, Chinese (all dem varieties), Thai, and so on. Except for Burmese, which is actually quite mellow-sounding. Japanese sounds "different" but not annoying.
Italian sounds like they're trying too hard.
Hebrew and Arabic sound like they're barfing into a cup.
Finnish sounds like they have nowhere to hurry, so they're just standing there, trying to pronounce their [y:]'s and [o:]'s.
Sámi sounds like they're running out of breath.
The native languages in my neck of the Wild West (Seattle) sound like ear-rape, but at least they have to take it slow to pronounce everything. Although, I have to admit that Quileute sounds badass.
I'm impartial to clicks. They're okay.
What
I
really
hate
are Irish and Manx. Spoken by second-language Irish and Manxmen (most). It's like they didn't try hard enough to even make it sound like a different language. Although, I suppose with an orthography like Manx's, it's not even surprising.

Wow, I feel like such a hater...

Disclaimer: World peace is cool. I don't really hate those languages; I'm just exaggerating. Love, unicorns, and rainbows. Keep that in mind.
cybrxkhan
roman
roman

Post by cybrxkhan »

Vosel wrote:WinXP offer a vietnamese keyboard layout and it does not seem to be too difficult to use. I tried it and it took me less than a minute to figure out how to type "người Việt". With some training it should be no problem at all. Try it.
Well, yes, I was pretty sure Vietnamese keyboards existed, but I don't think anybody in my family had the incentive to buy one, especially since we proportionally used English so much more than Vietnamese in official matters anyways, and even when doing things in Vietnamese we oftentimes include lots of English sections anyways. Still, I'll look into it. It might be pretty interesting.

- Ambrose Bierce
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

Layouts, not keyboards.
CrazyEttin
sinic
sinic

Post by CrazyEttin »

Agreed.
Chandith
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Chandith »

Agreed.

In fact, I don't really like any romance-language, but French is by far the worst of them.
wakeagainstthefall wrote:Come on guys. Vietnamese or German.

How could someone hate Spanish? (Although sometimes it annoys me I have to admit, it's very almost unrealistic with its prettiness.)
Come on guys. French or Spanish.

How could somebody hate German? (Although sometimes it annoys me I have to admit, it's very almost unrealistic with its awesomeness.)
Ceresz
mayan
mayan

Post by Ceresz »

Dutch. At least when it comes to Germanic languages.
reizoukin
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by reizoukin »

The Shanghainese dialect of Chinese. And Cantonese, for that matter. And the accent of Shanghainese people when they speak Mandarin...*shudders*
:eng: Native | :esp: Almost Fluent | :zho: Intermediate | :ara: :fra: Interested | :kat: :cym: Very interested.
Testyal
roman
roman

Post by Testyal »

Chandith wrote:
Agreed.

In fact, I don't really like any romance-language, but French is by far the worst of them.

How could somebody hate German? (Although sometimes it annoys me I have to admit, it's very almost unrealistic with its awesomeness.)
I respect you.
:deu: :fra: :zho: :epo:
Vosel
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Vosel »

cybrxkhan wrote:
Vosel wrote:WinXP offer a vietnamese keyboard layout and it does not seem to be too difficult to use. I tried it and it took me less than a minute to figure out how to type "người Việt". With some training it should be no problem at all. Try it.
Well, yes, I was pretty sure Vietnamese keyboards existed, but I don't think anybody in my family had the incentive to buy one, especially since we proportionally used English so much more than Vietnamese in official matters anyways, and even when doing things in Vietnamese we oftentimes include lots of English sections anyways. Still, I'll look into it. It might be pretty interesting.
You don't have to buy it, it's available by default, just add it to your list of keyboard layouts. Then you can switch between them using left ALT+shift.
wakeagainstthefall
sinic
sinic

testyal1 wrote:
Chandith wrote:
Agreed.

I respect you.
Oh boo. German's grody.