What did you accomplish today? [2011–2019]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by elemtilas »

Added a couple more tidbits to Snippets.
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox »

Pod has undergone a large reform on its phoneme inventory and orthography.

I have also decided Sorpear's warm side will be inhabited with tropical wildlife, i am not quite sure how to justify this. I'm thinking some sort of gas in the atmosphere deflects the life destroying heat away?
:con: Gândölansch (Gondolan)Feongkrwe (Feongrkean)Tamhanddön (Tamanthon)Θανηλοξαμαψⱶ (Thanelotic)Yônjcerth (Yaponese)Ba̧supan (Basupan)Mùthoķán (Mothaucian) :con:
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

I've started a new language to mark my transition into Cambridge University, which I know is like completely typical of me and totally suspends everything I was doing before, but honestly it's been such an experience moving in and getting into the rhythmn that I think it's only appropriate really. This does mean I've probably not gonna pick up O Kanã (and related languages), Frislandian, Áalaléekowoó, Proto-Muyan and the reconstruction of Proto-T1 for a while now while I focus on this and the work begins to come in. The lexicon of this language is currently at zero but I have a very good idea of what I want from the grammar (basically I want to get back into a fully polysynthetic a priori conlang once again, with hierarchical person marking, plus loads of reduplication).
bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by bbbourq »

I recently finalized the passive voice in Lortho.

Here is the active voice for reference:

bilar-ikh-u dharati-me
build-PST-3FSG house.M-ACC
She built (the) house.

madhid-ikh-in kanishu-me i-mela
give-PST-1MSG book.F-ACC PN.3MSG-DAT
I gave (the) book to him.

The passive voice:

bilar-im-ikh-i dharati
build-PASS-PST-3MSG house.M
(The) house was built

madhid-im-ikh-u kanishu i-mela
give-PASS-PST-3FSG book.F PN.3MSG-DAT
(The) book was given to him.
https://lortho.conlang.org

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

HyPry's formal register has ended up developing into an animacy hierarchy, the accompanying syntax of which actually solves some other issues with embedded clauses, at the cost of there essentially being five separate inverse voices now. I'm pleased with the results, as I'd wanted to find a functional way to deal with voice and this seems effective, and it adds a layer of complexity to an otherwise very formulaic and somewhat simple-feeling syntax - especially with the cliticization-gone-wild making the underlying morphemes rather opaque. The result is a lovely mess.

Have some examples of register differences. These aren't all of them; there are five levels of syntax-governed formality when pronouns get involved, which play off the hierarchy and the inverse system. Given here is the highly-informal, second-highest formal, and highest formal level for a trio of constructions using the same verb but different argument positions. There's also looming (a movement rule) to take into account; whether to loom pronouns depends on the status of the person referenced, regardless of the relative social status of the speaker (except in highest formality, where looming is obligatory as seen below); in all cases below, both persons are non-academy-graduates.

Bi tan a. Bi to nah. Bi nu tan a.
see CLS2=CLS1 IND | see CLS2=ARG2 CLS1=IND | see INV2 CLS2=CLS1 IND
(informal) I see you. | I'm watching you. | I'm introducing you (to someone).

Bi tu i nas a. Bi ëne ni tah. Bi ëne i nas a.
see INV5 ARG1 CLS1=CLS2 IND | see INV4 CLS1=ARG1 CLS2=IND | see INV4 ARG1 CLS1=CLS2 IND
(formal) I see you. | I'm watching you. | I'm introducing you (to someone).

Bi ëne nos, as. Bi tu ni to, as. Bi tu nos, as.
see INV4 CLS1=ARG2=c2-2 IND=CLS2 | see INV5 CLS1=ARG1 c2-2 IND=CLS2 | see INV5 CLS1=ARG2=c2-2 IND=CLS2
(very formal) I see you. | I'm watching you. | I'm introducing you (to someone).
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox »

I have started working on a very close descendant of Migyur and have reworked Pod's orthography again.

On another note, i have found that i like "ɭ͡ʁʷ" quite a bit, though none of my languages currently use it so i am thinking of throwing it into Migyur's phonology.
:con: Gândölansch (Gondolan)Feongkrwe (Feongrkean)Tamhanddön (Tamanthon)Θανηλοξαμαψⱶ (Thanelotic)Yônjcerth (Yaponese)Ba̧supan (Basupan)Mùthoķán (Mothaucian) :con:
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Very little.

But, I did decide a few things. The characters used to mean "thanks" literally means "to give glass (beads)." That's because beads are a form of currency and it is customary to give a small token amount as a gift when you appreciate something or want to apologize. Therefore, the current meaning. Oh, they look like this:

And are pronounced as: /ŋɔɪ̯.po/

It's the result of me finally giving a meaning to a character I made a while ago because I thought it looked cool, as well as creating a companion character to form the expression.
Last edited by Thrice Xandvii on 13 Oct 2017 02:37, edited 1 time in total.
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

I had an idea for the health care system in the Ladroman Republic.
One thing may be said: If the state-provided services aren't enough, one can buy additional modules, specific to one's needs, from semi-private insurance companies.

This is a literal shower-thought.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Egerius wrote:I had an idea for the health care system in the Ladroman Republic.
One thing may be said: If the state-provided services aren't enough, one can buy additional modules, specific to one's needs, from semi-private insurance companies.

This is a literal shower-thought.
Pretty sure that's Romneycare.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

I made an peculiar vowel system for my new lang, and saw it was the English vowel inventory with /y/.
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

Finished devising the names of a few animals in Øynduyska, which has taken ages. Now I have 186 animal words, and I just need to find translation challenges requiring words for "marsh tern" and "tench"...
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox »

I have nearly finished Migyur's syntax and have started working on a very basic sketch of another descendant, Aýýlaaxwi.

Pod has been renamed Podmåri.

And last, i have worked out some new characters and a new species for Sorpear, and have decided that some life does exist on the light side of the planet close to the tropical ring.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Any further thoughts on whether the excerptal is a singulative, after all those sentences I posted?

Or did people fail to read that post because it was the last post on that page?
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 90,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

Parlox wrote:Pod has undergone a large reform on its phoneme inventory and orthography.

I have also decided Sorpear's warm side will be inhabited with tropical wildlife, i am not quite sure how to justify this. I'm thinking some sort of gas in the atmosphere deflects the life destroying heat away?
atmospheres spread warmth anyway. no special gasses required.
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Khemehekis wrote:Any further thoughts on whether the excerptal is a singulative, after all those sentences I posted?

Or did people fail to read that post because it was the last post on that page?
I never saw that post at all (likely due to its location). And my only thought is that you can call it whatever you want, really. I was just saying the term suggested might be quicker for others to grok. *shrug* I'm really not at all certain how you determine if a construction with 13,000 exceptions and specific cases is or isn't some term you invented anyway.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

I didn't answer because I didn't feel qualified enough, but as nobody else did and you specifically asked again, I will try my best.

From the examples you provided, it appears that the unmarked form of a noun appears only when it doesn't matter if a noun appears in singular or plural, i.e. when the "thing" is emphasized, not the exact amount of it or a specific entity of it. It also appears if it is clear from context which particular entity is referred to, as for example when used in a genitive clause. As there is a dedicated suffix for plurals, it would be wrong to say that nouns are plurali tantum by default. Your excerptial is used, however, when referring to a single unit of something that has not been specified before. You mentioned body parts, but it's not clear from your examples if there is any specific connection to it; more, it seems that the excerptial is also used if there is more than one possible entity. "your shoulder" uses the excerptial because there are two possible entities, whereas "my dog" does not because there is only one. That also concurs with the "daughters" example.

Altogether, this reminds me closest of the "Mugatu" vs. "Mugagabe" distinction in Basque - the sources I have unfortunately don't call it any differently than that. I'd propose that your excerptial is more along the line of a demonstrative/definite suffix. As it can be used with more than one unit, I wouldn't consider it be a "singulative". In conclusion, I would say as its exact usage is not really comparable to anything else it's valid for you to use your own terminology.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Post by LinguistCat »

I was able to come up with a seed plot for a fantasy conworld that I plan to use for a novel or novella this upcoming NaNoWriMo. It was sparked by something my hubby said, but it just works really well for that universe. Now I just need to figure out the how's, why's and flesh out some characters a bit more.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

doomie wrote:this upcoming NaNoWriMo
I so want to try NaNoWriMo and yet I know I never will...

[:$]
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

Test of suppression of symmetries in glyphs of berezkohizkuntzalurra ...
Not satisfied ... to be continued ...
mbrsart
sinic
sinic

Post by mbrsart »

I finished filling out the initial lexicon for my redo of Łoresla. This is the first—and last—time I conlang by writing a poem and then analyzing it. [:|]
:con: Hra'anh | :eng: [:D] | :esp: [:)] | :grc: [:|] | :heb: [:|] | :epo: [:S] | :deu: [:S] | :ita: [:S] | :bra: [:'(] | :fra: [:'(]