Ŋyjichɯn

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
silvercat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Ŋyjichɯn

Post by silvercat »

Ŋyjichɯn in the language of the Ŋyji people. I haven't done a lot of the culture stuff yet and I'm currently transferring it over from being fandom related to my original work. But y'all can take a look at it here.

I'm really not sure what else to say...
my pronouns: they/them or e/em/eirs/emself
Main conlang: Ŋyjichɯn. Other conlangs: Tsɑkø (naming language), Ie, Tynthna, Maanxmuʃt, Ylialis
All my conlangs
Conlanging blog posts
silvercat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: Ŋyjichɯn

Post by silvercat »

I suppose I can ramble a little.

It's polysynthetic and otherwise incorporating (for example, the nouns also get stuck inside the adjectives. I'm trying to resist going more than that). I'm going to split it into two dialects, one of which is very honor and battle-oriented, so I have to avoid putting too much of that into this one.
Main conlang: Ŋyjichɯn. Other conlangs: Tsɑkø (naming language), Ie, Tynthna, Maanxmuʃt, Ylialis
All my conlangs
Conlanging blog posts
silvercat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by silvercat »

I'm making progress on it.

Silvorkat-sɯn sɯrŋy-jy myom-chi-to-ty
Silvercat-ACC my-NOM name-1.SBJ-1.OBJ-name
Silvercat is my name

myomty=name (noun or verb), to be called.
All my conlangs
Conlanging blog posts
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa »

Oh, so this is the /F/ language! That is one tiny set of consonantal phonemes. Then again, it's one more than I have in my language, and mine works just fine. I like the vowel inventory, though it has a slightly confusing romanisation. Why are <i y> sort of swapped? I would also kind of prefer a simple <c> for the /t_S/ since you have a single <j> for the voiced one, but that's up to you.

Reduplication is always fun. Do you use it for anything else than pluralisation? Nice to see some irregular formations too. I love irregularities. Have you pondered the etymology of these irregularities?

I didn't save, of course, because I don't want to ruin anything, but it seems anyone can double-click to edit, or at least create, texts on here.
silvercat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by silvercat »

Skógvur wrote:Oh, so this is the /F/ language!

??? I have no idea what this means.
That is one tiny set of consonantal phonemes.
Really? It seems about the same as Spanish and Japanese.
I like the vowel inventory, though it has a slightly confusing romanisation. Why are <i y> sort of swapped? I would also kind of prefer a simple <c> for the /t_S/ since you have a single <j> for the voiced one, but that's up to you.
I actually have a semi-good reason for the vowels. It started as a fan project for Thundercats and was supposed to be the language Wilykit and Wilykat spoke. So I based the romanization on their names. Although, now that I think about it, probably <i> there would get pronounced <y> anyway, but it's fine and it fits my mental map of what those letters sound like. And I've thought about changing <ch>, but I think I'd get confused.
Reduplication is always fun. Do you use it for anything else than pluralisation? Nice to see some irregular formations too. I love irregularities. Have you pondered the etymology of these irregularities?
I'm going to use reduplication for repeated actions, but that'll be about it. For the irregularities, I suppose I should, but I have no idea where to begin there and I'm not really interested in making the ancestor language, so...
I didn't save, of course, because I don't want to ruin anything, but it seems anyone can double-click to edit, or at least create, texts on here.
You can't save it, unless you save to your computer. I need to look more into how to hide that, but I'm not terribly concerned.
All my conlangs
Conlanging blog posts
silvercat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by silvercat »

I made those changes to the tiddlywiki and uploaded the new version, so there's a bunch of changes in there.
All my conlangs
Conlanging blog posts
silvercat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by silvercat »

Latest completely filled lexicon entry for Nyjichun: sayβkonzata, 9. Literally 'five and four'. Only used idiomatically. Pronounced sayrkonzata. The normal form of nine is 'wyβ'.
All my conlangs
Conlanging blog posts
silvercat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by silvercat »

Random Nyjichun word of the day: zoylko; after, next, later, behind, back of, butt, rear end, result. I may split off most of those and just have it be 'result'.
All my conlangs
Conlanging blog posts
Esmelthien
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Esmelthien »

silvercat wrote:

/F/ is X-SAMPA for /ɱ/, which is a phoneme in your language. This is uncommon, especially so since you don't have /m/.
silvercat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by silvercat »

Esmelthien wrote:
silvercat wrote:

/F/ is X-SAMPA for /ɱ/, which is a phoneme in your language. This is uncommon, especially so since you don't have /m/.
Ahhhh... I should learn X-SAMPA I suppose.
All my conlangs
Conlanging blog posts
hubris_incalculable
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by hubris_incalculable »

silvercat wrote:
Esmelthien wrote:
silvercat wrote:

Or not.
<äʒƺçķļ>
<áéíóú>
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa »

hubris_incalculable wrote:
silvercat wrote:
Esmelthien wrote:
silvercat wrote:

Or not.
Which is precisely why he should learn X-SAMPA so that he can quickly input it and convert it to IPA.
silvercat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by silvercat »

Skógvur wrote:Which is precisely why he should learn X-SAMPA so that he can quickly input it and convert it to IPA.
She, actually. Can't I just continue to copy and paste and ask stupid questions when X-SAMPA comes up? [:)]
All my conlangs
Conlanging blog posts
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa »

silvercat wrote:
Skógvur wrote:Which is precisely why he should learn X-SAMPA so that he can quickly input it and convert it to IPA.
She, actually. Can't I just continue to copy and paste and ask stupid questions when X-SAMPA comes up? [:)]
You sure can continue copying and pasting! You can avoid learning X-SAMPA too, but I would really recommend it. It really is a bit of a handicap around here not to know it, because you will be seeing it a lot. Like I said, it could easily speed up your IPA typing too, as there are good converters (I prefer this one, and at this link you will also find nice correspondence tables between IPA and X-SAMPA). Do as you wish, but it's not a bad idea to know X-SAMPA around here. I guarantee it.
hubris_incalculable
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by hubris_incalculable »

Skógvur wrote:
silvercat wrote:
You sure can continue copying and pasting! You can avoid learning X-SAMPA too, but I would really recommend it. It really is a bit of a handicap around here not to know it, because you will be seeing it a lot. Like I said, it could easily speed up your IPA typing too, as there are good converters (I prefer this one, and at this link you will also find nice correspondence tables between IPA and X-SAMPA). Do as you wish, but it's not a bad idea to know X-SAMPA around here. I guarantee it.
Or you could just copy-paste the X-SAMPA from other people's posts into the converter to disambiguate them, and continue to copy-paste.
<äʒƺçķļ>
<áéíóú>
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa »

hubris_incalculable wrote:
Skógvur wrote:
silvercat wrote:
Or you could just copy-paste the X-SAMPA from other people's posts into the converter to disambiguate them, and continue to copy-paste.
Didn't think of that. That should hopefully be a good way to passively learn X-SAMPA too, picking the characters up as one goes.
silvercat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by silvercat »

Figuring out clauses:

lɯn-si-ɒz-kɯt-mirot mow, vizɯ wiβi ti-ɒz-yŋkyoŋ-jafɒ moan vizɯ
FUT-feed-2.SBJ-2POBJ-fed 2.SG, if here come-2.SBJ-come-SBJV 2.~SG.ACC if
you will get fed if you come here

wiβi ti-ɒz-yŋkyoŋ moan zor lɯn-si-ɒz-kɯt-mirot mow
here come-2.SBJ-come 2.SG.ACC so FUT-feed-2.SBJ-2POBJ-fed 2.SG
you come here so you will get fed
All my conlangs
Conlanging blog posts
silvercat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by silvercat »

I had a bunch of words derived from sentences that I've been putting off fixing. I finally did it.

morasjifiryras, flood, from
mo-ŋa-ras jio firyr-as
rise-3.SBJ-rise water fast-ADV

(adverbs take part of the last syllable of the verb they're describing.)

siisiinyrichoma, to brush hair or fur, from
nyu sii-ŋa-syv-sisi ny-ŋa-yv-richo-ma
it brush-3.SBJ-3.OBJ-brush through-3.SBJ-3.OBJ-hair-through

(Repetitive verbs take the abbreviated form as a prefix. And prepositions act as verbs. Actually, most everything acts as a verb at some point.)

zychfijiim, bridge, from
nyu ŋa-zyv-zyich ŋa-fyv-fi-ji-im
it 3.SBJ-3.OBJ-over 3.SBJ-3.OBJ-stand-water-stand

tɒvvɒjyt, babbling or rambling, from
tɒvvɒ ji-ŋa-mat
word.PL pour-3.SBJ-pour

(I think this is the only derived word I have that uses a plural)

And then one of those got used to derive another word, wamofyrrasovo, forest fire, from waovo, fire and flood.

I've got less than 150 lexicon entries to finish filling out the columns for. Unfortunately, a bunch of those are marked to get changed in some way. And it'll involve the overhaul of the family terminology that I've been putting off.
All my conlangs
Conlanging blog posts