What did you accomplish today? [2011–2019]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
silvercat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by silvercat »

Working on cleaning up the lexicon, mostly the etymology column. There were way too many entries that were just the English gloss, which makes it tricky when I'm trying to find the referenced word. Aside from a handful of words that I need to basically rebuild, I'll have almost 300 words done (and a bunch of affixes and other things that I don't count) once I'm done with the cleaning.

Finished. 292 words, 234 entries (roots, affixes, and some derivations don't count). There's another 150 or so that are there but full of empty columns. I'll have to pick out the next batch.
my pronouns: they/them or e/em/eirs/emself
Main conlang: Ŋyjichɯn. Other conlangs: Tsɑkø (naming language), Ie, Tynthna, Maanxmuʃt, Ylialis
All my conlangs
Conlanging blog posts
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

ol bofosh wrote:For Alahithian I'm also contemplating making a difference between postposition phrases that modify noun phrases and others that are complements. What do you think?
Me? I think it's really elegant, and I wish I'd thought of it. [:)]
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

Reading a book on Tlingit grammar that Micamo gave me.

Urge to make Poly-lang rising.
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

???'s syllabary is complete, mostly. I've turned my attentions to naming this thing, as I can't keep referring to it by a trio of question marks. Unfortunately, I'm rather torn about it. The word for "language" is v-c-n - an unimaginative derivation of that meaning "the language" would be something like Váncód [væn.kod], which I'm not really fond of.

I've been toying with Cereldíel [kɛ.ɾɛl.di.ɛl] - stress is completely irrelevant at the moment, which actually means "May He Reign Perpetually." See, the speakers of this lang tend to be very, very religious.

Ah, well. I'll come up with something eventually. In the meantime, this shall remain the Language of Three Question Marks.
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Chagen wrote:Reading a book on Tlingit grammar that Micamo gave me.

Isn't it beautiful?
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
Click
runic
runic

Post by Click »

Pvo yái bzŕni ḿštruháreti.
pvo=yá-i bzŕni ḿ-štru-há-re-ti
PFV=1SG[ABS]-GEN friend[ABS] ACD-meet-1SG-3SG-HEST
I bumped into my friend yesterday.

ACD - accidental volition
HST - hesternal tense (yesterday)
Last edited by Click on 21 Mar 2013 15:21, edited 2 times in total.
ol bofosh
greek
greek
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

Dormouse559 wrote:
ol bofosh wrote:For Alahithian I'm also contemplating making a difference between postposition phrases that modify noun phrases and others that are complements. What do you think?
Me? I think it's really elegant, and I wish I'd thought of it. [:)]
Take it for any of your languages if you want. [;)]
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

Chagen wrote:Reading a book on Tlingit grammar that Micamo gave me.

Micamo wrote:Tlingit isn't polysynthetic.
I don't understand why, Chagen.
Fanael
sinic
sinic

Post by Fanael »

I started another conlang, tentatively named 10:4.
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

This is conworlding stuff, but I actually spent some time on Paz culture and cuisine today--mostly cuisine, such as their cake-shaped bread and cebs, which are fruits popular in Pazmat that have rock-hard exteriors and are filled with mildly sweet and savory jelly. When cooked, cebs become VERY soft--enough to be eaten whole and squished with the hand.

In terms of culture, I defined an...odd festival called "Mufnas Melyet" ("Mufn's festival", named after a king that supposedly started it, though it's unlikely for that to be actually true). Straight from my notes:
Spoiler:
Mufnas Melyet is celebrated after the first cebs grow in what us Terrans call "Spring". The event is mostly about eating extravagant food made with cebs (alongside relaxing after the rather brutal winters of Pazmat), to symbolize the prosperity the growing season brings (since they can use a massive amount of cebs and still grow more), but it's most bizarre event is the Cebvas Sjaribus (Roughly, "The throwing of the Cebs"). The basic gist of the event is that the men of a village who are under the age of 30 years get together with a massive amount of cebs. The women of the village gather in the center. Then, the men chase the women with the cebs, attempting to pelt them with the fruit. If a woman either is so soaked in ceb-jelly that her nipples are exposed, or if her breasts are exposed in any way, she is taken out. A man is taken out if he expends all of his cebs without taking out at least one woman, or if a woman takes a ceb herself through whatever means and hits him with it. Whatever gender wins has first pick of the extravagant feast later in the day--the losing gender has to settle for leftovers. The next day, the genders are reversed--another feast is held at the end of that day.

Participation is voluntary--anyone inside a building is exempt.

Despite the fact that this event ostensibly is celebrating the prosperity of the growing season, the fact that it results in a large amount of nubile young women covered in viscous white fluids probably has something to do with its popularity.
Should you think this is bizarre, you probably don't want to hear about some of the other festivals.
Click
runic
runic

Post by Click »

What what what? Men pelt women with cebs that have rock-hard exteriors? Poor women! [:'(]

Unless they are pelted with cooked cebs.
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

Yeah, they're cooked.

They once WERENT. Now they are. This basically makes them like small water balloons, except instead of water you have white jelly.

Also, remember that the genders are reversed the next day--women pelt men with cebs.
silvercat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by silvercat »

[xD]

On the one hand, the small feminist part of me thinks that's horrible. On the other hand, the rest of me thinks that's really really great.

Finally came up with 'yes' and 'no' for Nyjichun (mit and so, respectively). Finished the write up for the Type II pronouns (demonstrative, indefinite, and interrogative), including a little dialogue. I suppose I should do a full gloss of it - it's just the Nyjichun and the translation.
my pronouns: they/them or e/em/eirs/emself
Main conlang: Ŋyjichɯn. Other conlangs: Tsɑkø (naming language), Ie, Tynthna, Maanxmuʃt, Ylialis
All my conlangs
Conlanging blog posts
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

The Paz are a mostly gender-equal society. They really don't find exposed female nipples to be lascivious like us western Terrans do.
thetha
mayan
mayan

Post by thetha »

Added a few words to Arǵi's lexicon and designed the structure of comparative statements involving 'like'. 'Like' clauses in Argi are treated as being identical to adjectival clauses, and thus, when it is just like+NOUN, it results in noun incorporation in verbs:

Kusrăn ǵuhmikammon.
k-surrăn ǵi-ohmi-kammu-n
dog.PLUR NEG-like=cat.PLUR-PRED
"Dogs aren't like cats."
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

I created an intuitive language, that I can reproduce without a reference grammar at any time. A mirror of Geran in some aspects, but nobody will notice, I hope [:D]

Denosibe kodasinipemi jugunosibe.
de-no-si-be ko-da-si-ni-pe-mi jugu-no-si-be.
DEM-NOM-SG-DEF COPULA-3-SG-IND-NFUT-IPFV food-NOM-SG-DEF
This is food.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

I finalized the syllabary for ???. I am very happy with it, and shall probably start accompanying some of my translations with it. ... as soon as I figure out how to get it onto my computer, that is. Time to whip out the character editor.
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
Click
runic
runic

Post by Click »

I found a conlang sketch I had made a few days ago when I had a bad insomnia. I have no memory of writing it, probably because I spent about 45 hours awake.
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

I started working out the differences between Kron and Paz culture (since they're right next to each other and have always been foils to each other).

It's a start, but Kron tend to be austere and prefer to be aloof and inscrutable while the Paz tend to be boisterous and more outgoing. A Paz will come up with an idea and then immediately jump into debate with their peers (indeed, the Paz idiom for "two heads are better than one" is "a debate is beter than contemplation"), through which they may point out flaws and other such things. Meanwhile, a Kron will come up with an idea and then spend a ton of time contemplating it alone, only speaking to others about it when they're absolutely sure they're ironed out all the kinks.

Their own native religions reflect this as well: The Paz' religion of Qedha is more optimistic ("Hey, the world sucks because it's controlled by a bunch of lovecraftian forces that are incapable of even beginning to understand us, but we can go 'fuck them' and do our own thing anyway!") while the Kron religion (no name) yet is far more fatalistic ("The world sucks because the Gods are all part of this massive celestial bureaucracy that is so incompetent and overfilled that they tend to forgot about us--also they're either drunk or dead half the time--, now shut up and deal with it")

...Shit, the Kron are practically misotheistic.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Chagen wrote:...Shit, the Kron are practically misotheistic.
....They worship cheap packages of noodles?
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter