Looking for "hanyu da cidian" radical list

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
Ehesh
rupestrian
rupestrian

Looking for "hanyu da cidian" radical list

Post by Ehesh »

Ive been the past week looking for hanyu da cidian radical list for the past week. I read on Wikipedia that it has a 200 radical system and would like to see how the radicals were condensed. It may help on my logo-graphic script. Any ideas where the radical list could be found?
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Re: Looking for "hanyu da cidian" radical list

Post by GrandPiano »

Are you talking about the Kangxi radicals (of which there are 214)?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangxi_radical
Sequor
sinic
sinic

Re: Looking for "hanyu da cidian" radical list

Post by Sequor »

If I recall correctly (I haven't looked at it in many years), the Hanyu Da Cidian uses the traditional 214 radicals.

However, it is true that many Simplified Chinese dictionaries use a reduced idiosyncratic inventory of radicals, ranging from about 170 to 200.

For example, the Collins Gem Mandarin Chinese Dictionary uses a system of 182 radicals. Comparing it with the traditional system of 214 radicals would require long attentive work that I don't feel like carrying out. For now I'll just mention that some of the radicals aren't there because Simplified Chinese got rid of them entirely. For example, the character 龜 gui1 (found in 烏龜 wu1gui1 'tortoise'), by itself a radical, is simplified to 龟 and is now found under the radical 丿 pie3, on account of its first stroke. Other characters have been reclassified at the whims of the editors, e.g. 我 wo3 '1SG' is found under the radical 戈 ge1 in the Kangxi dictionary, but the Collins Gem puts it under 丿 pie3 as well, even tough the radical 戈 ge1 was not eliminated.
hīc sunt linguificēs. hēr bēoþ tungemakeras.