A Priori or A Posteriori?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Re: A Priori or A Posteriori?

Post by Lambuzhao »

elemtilas wrote:... even Talarian has a poorly documented sister language....
Quo vadis, Yllurian?

[:'(]

For folks like us, maybe the distinction is less "a priori or a posteriori" but rather "ab alteriori vel ab ulteriori" ?

[:x]
HoskhMatriarch
roman
roman

Post by HoskhMatriarch »

Speaking of dialects, I was making a lot of them before I restarted, and I'll go right back to it once I get on my feet again. My people live in the mountains, so every village has its own dialect, and in order to write stories in different regions, I have to work on at least sketches of various dialects, although many dialects are minimally different from each other and sometimes even minimally different from the standard.
No darkness can harm you if you are guided by your own inner light
atman
sinic
sinic

Post by atman »

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:Even some of the Romance natlangs are boring to me. I can hardly differentiate all the Gallo-Romance languages and dialects that all closely resemble each other. If I see another language with "la" as an article, I think I'm going to lose it

I've pooh-poohed romlangs in this thread and I didn't mean to be rude, but I don't exactly feel bad about it, I mean it's just my honest opinion: the ones I've come across haven't seemed very distinctive to me.
Do I even need to remind you of the Curse of Corominas that hits infallibly those who don't like Romance languages? [}:D] [:)]
KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:As someone mentioned previously, another Hellenic language, sister to Greek could be interesting,
Could be interesting alright. [;)]
Երկնէր երկին, երկնէր երկիր, երկնէր և ծովն ծիրանի.
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

The thing about Romlangs is that most of the ways it could be spun have already been tried, except for the very bizar. Native American romlang anyone?

I'd like to see an Indian romlang though. Apparently the Romans had contact with the Indian subcontinent, so who knows?
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Ælfwine wrote:Native American romlang anyone?
Scroll up to my other comment in this thread, and you'll find mine.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Also Thrice Xandvii's Isλǫtaλao.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

DesEsseintes wrote:
Ælfwine wrote:Native American romlang anyone?
Scroll up to my other comment in this thread, and you'll find mine.
Well I'll be a monkey's uncle.
My Blog

Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Creyeditor wrote:Also Thrice Xandvii's Isλǫtaλao.
It only sorta counts, IMO. But thanks for the nod, nonetheless.

(Speaking of, I need to do more with that language...)
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

What do people think of a pidgin/creole of Arabic and Hebrew spoken by Arabs in Israel (Not Arabs in the West Bank and Gaza, but in uncontested parts of Israel)?
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Lambuzhao wrote:
elemtilas wrote:... even Talarian has a poorly documented sister language....
Quo vadis, Yllurian?

[:'(]
Alas, I think not much spoken anymore. Leastways not in Ylluria. You do have to be a scholar competent in that language, however, in order to read the non-Kristian Talarian religious texts. As if Talarian weren't difficult enough all on its own, any time a god or saint is directly quoted, those words would naturally be written in Yllurian. Strange but true.

For folks like us, maybe the distinction is less "a priori or a posteriori" but rather "ab alteriori vel ab ulteriori" ?

[:x]
Yes, one of them high fallutin Latin words!

Though for my own Romance conlang, I might prefer "ad insanior".

[xD]
Sights
sinic
sinic

Post by Sights »

I realize it's not a universal opinion, but as a native speaker of one I feel obliged to say that I'm now seriously pondering whether the general opinion of the conlanging community is that romance natlangs are indeed a bit boring [:|]
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Sights wrote:I realize it's not a universal opinion, but as a native speaker of one I feel obliged to say that I'm now seriously pondering whether the general opinion of the conlanging community is that romance natlangs are indeed a bit boring [:|]
elemtilas wrote:...Spanish (is) the first foreign language most Americans learn. And let's face it, as far as world languages go, it's pretty much plain gelatin. [:|] But it's familiar, it's accessible, it's safe to handle without bits blowing up in your face...
Yep. Familiarity and all that. If glossopoesy had taken root & blown forth in the PRC rather than in the UK/US, we'd probably right now be discussing whether the general opinion of the community is that Sino-Tibetan is indeed a bit boring.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

elemtilas wrote:Yep. Familiarity and all that. If glossopoesy had taken root & blown forth in the PRC rather than in the UK/US, we'd probably right now be discussing whether the general opinion of the community is that Sino-Tibetan is indeed a bit boring.
That is indeed quite likely.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

elemtilas wrote:If glossopoesy had taken root & blown forth in the PRC rather than in the UK/US, we'd probably right now be discussing whether the general opinion of the community is that Sino-Tibetan is indeed a bit boring.
I think right now we'd be discussing at length whether or what we had eaten. [;)]
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Lao Kou wrote:
elemtilas wrote:If glossopoesy had taken root & blown forth in the PRC rather than in the UK/US, we'd probably right now be discussing whether the general opinion of the community is that Sino-Tibetan is indeed a bit boring.
I think right now we'd be discussing at length whether or what we had eaten. [;)]
This is depressingly true. :roll:
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

I had the idea the other day of creating a mixed Sami-Kalaalisut conlang. I'm not sure what historical reasons would be for these two groups to interact, however, there are a lot of similarities between them and I think this would be a good idea for anyone wanting to try a posteriori conlang.

Edit: wooo 100 posts
Last edited by Ælfwine on 27 Mar 2016 04:37, edited 1 time in total.
My Blog

HoskhMatriarch
roman
roman

Post by HoskhMatriarch »

I do think most conlangers think Romance natlangs are boring. I don't think Romance natlangs are boring though. Spoken French is one of the most "exotic" languages you'll come across, just like German and in fact quite a few other European languages. I just think familiarity unfortunately breeds contempt. I say unfortunately because there really are a bunch of quite interesting features in European languages you can use without making a Euroclone or an even remotely SAE typology in a conlang (such as my language Choskch, which does have a lot of features taken from individual European languages without having a very European typology at all, aside from things that are common for most of the world's languages like "no ejectives"). And yes, I do think if conlanging were invented in China everyone would be bored of Sino-Tibetan. People are nearly as bored of Germlangs as Romlangs though, and not really bored of anything else, so I'm thinking it is 100% familiarity breeds contempt.
No darkness can harm you if you are guided by your own inner light
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Shemtov wrote:What do people think of a pidgin/creole of Arabic and Hebrew spoken by Arabs in Israel (Not Arabs in the West Bank and Gaza, but in uncontested parts of Israel)?
Not to poo-poo on any of the two's separate ethnic/cultural/linguistic heritages, but YES, YEAH, VERILY PLZ :::
Jake
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Jake »

Mine is the most boring kind: a posteriori based on English. But it's easier to remember.
Sḿtuval
greek
greek

Post by Sḿtuval »

I usually prefer a priori, mostly because I'm kinda lazy when it comes to research, but I have done a posteriori before and liked it. Definitely not gonna focus on a posteriori, but I might make another conlang in that category.
I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.