I need help with words

If you're new to these arts, this is the place to ask "stupid" questions and get directions!
conlangdolphinfly
rupestrian
rupestrian

Re: I need help with words

Post by conlangdolphinfly »

Looking at the most used words in your main language, Turkish, is indeed a good starting point to determine which words are essential to include in your conlang. These commonly used words form the foundation of everyday communication and can help ensure that your conlang is practical for daily life. However, it's not necessary to have the exact same number of words as in Turkish or any other language. The number of words needed in a language can vary depending on its complexity, the concepts it aims to express, and the needs of its speakers. While having a comprehensive vocabulary is important, focusing on key categories such as nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, and basic functional words can be a good approach. As your conlang evolves, you can gradually expand its vocabulary based on the specific contexts and domains of communication that emerge.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

When I started my conlangs, I started in thematic clumps. That is, groups of related words that are connected by a particular topic or theme. For example, I started with about 6~8 words for
rooms of the house, family members, farm animals, wild animals, garden vegetables, household appliances, transportation & vehicles, heavenly bodies, telling time, coming & going … .

Then, I later developed vocabulary for other categories: colors, conjunctions, buying & selling, military, singing & dancing, etc.
I also expanded out more vocabulary in the original categories, and just developed other words as time went on and as need arose. Translating various texts: paragraphs from magazines & newspapers (Ooh! dating myself), poems & songs, small dialogues from language textbooks & phrasebooks also necessarily pushed me to expand my conlangs' vocabularies.

Also, looking at English's many Latin & Greek roots, it became a side-task to make a quick & dirty (but also growing) list of common conlang roots & prefixes based on the Latin & Greek.

It's not just one process, but a number of interconnected processes that grows a conlang.
[:)]
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Welcome back, Lambuzhao!
Lambuzhao wrote: 22 Jul 2023 01:30 It's not just one process, but a number of interconnected processes that grows a conlang.
Wise words.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 90,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Khemehekis wrote: 23 Jul 2023 02:24 Welcome back, Lambuzhao!
Lambuzhao wrote: 22 Jul 2023 01:30 It's not just one process, but a number of interconnected processes that grows a conlang.
Wise words.
Izhar zha Kheme!
:mrgreen:
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Lambuzhao wrote: 24 Jul 2023 18:13 Izhar zha Kheme!
Ar os kuless.
2s NEG need-PRS
You''re welcome.

Am . . .
but
But . . .

"Izar". Nos atshe.
izar. no aitch
"Izar". No aitch.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 90,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Khemehekis wrote: 24 Jul 2023 22:54
Lambuzhao wrote: 24 Jul 2023 18:13 Izhar zha Kheme!
Ar os kuless.
2s NEG need-PRS
You''re welcome.

Am . . .
but
But . . .

"Izar". Nos atshe.
izar. no aitch
"Izar". No aitch.
he he … must be my accent showing [:P]