(Conlangs) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here [2010-2020]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
CarsonDaConlanger
sinic
sinic

Re: (Conlangs) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by CarsonDaConlanger »

What case would a noun be in in an ergative language when in a title(not in a full sentence)?

I.E: The book of the world.

What case should I put book in?
He/they bisexual weeb
Zekoslav
sinic
sinic

Post by Zekoslav »

Considering that in ergative languages, absolutive is generally the unmarked case, I'd guess titles would be in the absolutive. Although, it might depend on how your conculture (if relevant) comes up with titles - I wish I knew more about that in other real-world cultures (I still think the unmarked case should be the default)!
Languages:
:hrv: [:D], :bih: :srb: [;)], :eng: [:D], :fra: [:|], :lat: [:(], :deu: [:'(]

A linguistics enthusiast who occasionally frequents the CBB.

- Guide to Slavic accentuation
CarsonDaConlanger
sinic
sinic

Zekoslav wrote: 05 Oct 2018 16:34 Considering that in ergative languages, absolutive is generally the unmarked case, I'd guess titles would be in the absolutive. Although, it might depend on how your conculture (if relevant) comes up with titles - I wish I knew more about that in other real-world cultures (I still think the unmarked case should be the default)!
Thanks!
He/they bisexual weeb
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

The unmarked case is obviously most natural as a default; however, I'd begin by question your assumptions. What is a "title", and why do your people have them? For instance, book titles that just explain what the book is about may well use the dative or the like ("[on/about] the origin-DAT of species").

If the title functions as a sort of proferative deictic, or is mainly found in lists, there may be particular constructions associated with those procedures.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

There are also title formulas based on clauses. Chapter titles in older books occasionally take the form: "In which [such-and-such happens]"
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Salmoneus wrote: 05 Oct 2018 17:41 The unmarked case is obviously most natural as a default; however, I'd begin by question your assumptions. What is a "title", and why do your people have them? For instance, book titles that just explain what the book is about may well use the dative or the like ("[on/about] the origin-DAT of species").

If the title functions as a sort of proferative deictic, or is mainly found in lists, there may be particular constructions associated with those procedures.
Just wanted to add, that many older Geman titles (in Latin obviously [:D] ) were genitive case constructions (kind of), because they started with de.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
CarsonDaConlanger
sinic
sinic

Creyeditor wrote: 05 Oct 2018 18:10
Salmoneus wrote: 05 Oct 2018 17:41 The unmarked case is obviously most natural as a default; however, I'd begin by question your assumptions. What is a "title", and why do your people have them? For instance, book titles that just explain what the book is about may well use the dative or the like ("[on/about] the origin-DAT of species").

Just wanted to add, that many older Geman titles (in Latin obviously [:D] ) were genitive case constructions (kind of), because they started with de.
That actually might work well, since I use postpositions for cases, so I can just put it after the whole name.
He/they bisexual weeb
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

I'm making a Germanic lang.

It has sound changes
/s/ -> /ʃ/
/θ/ -> /s/

I'd like to preserve <s> as the letter for /ʃ/. How could /s/ be written? I don't like <þ>.
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

<sz>.
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

<ß>.

Ess-zed
Eszett
Same diff
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

Depends where it's spoken! And what other letters are used, and how!

Options include s-cedilla, s-acute, s-dot or more fancifully s-tilde; or c, z, q or x; or ts, or ds, or th; or ss, sc, sz, sth, ths, zs or cs; or c-acute, c-dot, c-cedilla; or d, or d-bar or eth or sd, or....
Porphyrogenitos
sinic
sinic

Post by Porphyrogenitos »

Also, it depends on when the sound change happened - before or after the orthography was established. If the orthography was established before the sound change, it would likely just keep using the same symbols as before, but with the shifted sound values. So we might see:

þ = [θ]
s = [s]

s θ > ʃ s

þ = [s]
s = [ʃ]

Considering a broad European context, and without knowing any other information about the language or orthography, I'd say that <z> and <ç> are the most likely representations for a [θ] that later became [s]
Odkidstr
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Odkidstr »

Hopefully this makes sense (and sorry if my terminology is off):

I'm wondering what languages do when quoting a person in writing or relaying what someone has said. For instance, in English you can say: "Eat this," said the man vs "Eat this," the man said vs The man said "eat this." If I'm understanding correctly, the quote itself as a clause would be the object of the verb "to say." In English, it appears that we typically front the quote so that the first two examples are more common than the latter, and it seems that word order can vary quite a bit too. How do other languages handle this? Is it typical to front the quote for a verb such as "say" in languages, or does it normally occur in-situ?

Also another question, this time about plural marking. If a language has suffixing case, it is normal for the plural suffix to come before the case suffix, correct? Or is it also possible for the suffix to be case-plural marking? I am aware of fusion based markings too, but that's not what I'm looking for. Would a postposition for plural marking seem odd if case was suffixed to the noun? Aside from vowel change, adpositions, and affixes, are there any unique or uncommon ways to mark plurality?
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

It would be odd for a plural marker to appear after a case marker, yes. Maybe the morpheme that becomes the plural marker can itself have different forms for different cases, though you'd said you didn't want fusion and that setup would likely cause fusion.
Pivunuševibe tiufas, mapa pivumūečip taimiibi.
I pointed you to the stars, and all you saw were the tips of my fingers. (Play)
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

Porphyrogenitos wrote: 06 Oct 2018 02:51 Also, it depends on when the sound change happened - before or after the orthography was established. If the orthography was established before the sound change, it would likely just keep using the same symbols as before, but with the shifted sound values. So we might see:

þ = [θ]
s =

s θ > ʃ s

þ =
s = [ʃ]

Considering a broad European context, and without knowing any other information about the language or orthography, I'd say that <z> and <ç> are the most likely representations for a [θ] that later became

I always forget there is <ç> for <c> before back vowels.
But if /s/ doesn't derive from /k/ they are a bit odd. Of course the orthography can just mirror those of other languages.
Zekoslav
sinic
sinic

Post by Zekoslav »

Old High German used <z> to represent the laminal /s/ derived from PG. *t, while using <s> to represent the apical /s̺/ derived from PG. *s, which later becomes /ʃ/ in word-initial consonant clusters. That could be used as a precedent for writing /s/, /ʃ/ as <z>, <s>, if your orthography was established after the chain shift.
Languages:
:hrv: [:D], :bih: :srb: [;)], :eng: [:D], :fra: [:|], :lat: [:(], :deu: [:'(]

A linguistics enthusiast who occasionally frequents the CBB.

- Guide to Slavic accentuation
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

Zekoslav wrote: 07 Oct 2018 10:10 Old High German used <z> to represent the laminal /s/ derived from PG. *t, while using <s> to represent the apical /s̺/ derived from PG. *s, which later becomes /ʃ/ in word-initial consonant clusters. That could be used as a precedent for writing /s/, /ʃ/ as <z>, <s>, if your orthography was established after the chain shift.
Was German /ts/ <z> really a sibilant in some state of the language? Or do I misunderstood you.
holbuzvala
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by holbuzvala »

Why is it that in French, most adjectives follow nouns, but (what I would describe as) 'generic' adjectives preceed the nouns they describe?
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

Omzinesý wrote: 07 Oct 2018 10:46
Zekoslav wrote: 07 Oct 2018 10:10 Old High German used <z> to represent the laminal /s/ derived from PG. *t, while using <s> to represent the apical /s̺/ derived from PG. *s, which later becomes /ʃ/ in word-initial consonant clusters. That could be used as a precedent for writing /s/, /ʃ/ as <z>, <s>, if your orthography was established after the chain shift.
Was German /ts/ <z> really a sibilant in some state of the language? Or do I misunderstood you.
I think the spelling has changed. Plain <z> was a fricative, <zz> was an affricate, and much of what is <tz> today was <zz> then.apparently the spelling was just loose .... They used z for both fricatives and affricates, both single and double.
Pivunuševibe tiufas, mapa pivumūečip taimiibi.
I pointed you to the stars, and all you saw were the tips of my fingers. (Play)
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

Pabappa wrote: 07 Oct 2018 14:53
Omzinesý wrote: 07 Oct 2018 10:46
I think the spelling has changed. Plain <z> was a fricative, <zz> was an affricate, and much of what is <tz> today was <zz> then.apparently the spelling was just loose .... They used z for both fricatives and affricates, both single and double.
OK, now I see. You mean inter-vocally.
Swedish katt German Katze
Swedish fatta German fassen
Swedish heta German heißen