CBB Conlang Relay XV - RESULTS

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Trailsend

Re: CBB Conlang Relay XV - RESULTS

Post by Trailsend »

Wild! It looks like the beehive was conjured out of a Boral expression for "crowd"?
Iyionaku wrote: 24 Dec 2022 12:44 15th) Mándinrùh [127 words]

English
“Your mother is asking about my concern for you. Is it my destiny that you love me?”
Hang on hang on—is this the English translation of the Atili text? I am super sure the first line of the Atili text was something like "There once were two women at the edge/outskirts/extremities of a farm/field/cultivar", and it wasn't a line of dialogue. Am I losing my mind? XD
(it/they)
任何事物的发展都是物极必反,否极泰来。
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

Oh huzzah! It's a Christmas miracle! [:D]
Trailsend wrote: 24 Dec 2022 18:29 Wild! It looks like the beehive was conjured out of a Boral expression for "crowd"?
Seems so! The Boral aucoum can mean both "beehive" and "swarm, crowd" [xD]
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
let us live in a dirty world
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

I can tell you that the tree in this case came from a CT idiom, tëg mûr ‘to kick a tree’ (or, if progress is really stalled, tëg umír ‘to kick trees’).
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
pachelbel
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by pachelbel »

I'm amused that the beehive returned despite my inadvertent interruption. I completely didn't put the pieces together on "house of insects" - I was imagining an invertebrate-centric version of a zoo's "house of reptiles"!
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

I love how quickly "cramps" turned into "violin/guitar/lute" - the Alál word literally means "string under tension" and is used for muscle cramps, ships' docklines, and the strings of instruments, and that last meaning is what got passed along! Really really neat to see the steps in between.
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

kiwikami wrote: 24 Dec 2022 20:26
Edit: Substituted a muscel tension for a string instrument.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

Creyeditor wrote: 24 Dec 2022 21:25
kiwikami wrote: 24 Dec 2022 20:26
Edit: Substituted a muscel tension for a string instrument.
[xD]
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
Mándinrùh
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Mándinrùh »

Trailsend wrote: 24 Dec 2022 18:29 Wild! It looks like the beehive was conjured out of a Boral expression for "crowd"?
Iyionaku wrote: 24 Dec 2022 12:44 15th) Mándinrùh [127 words]

English
“Your mother is asking about my concern for you. Is it my destiny that you love me?”
Hang on hang on—is this the English translation of the Atili text? I am super sure the first line of the Atili text was something like "There once were two women at the edge/outskirts/extremities of a farm/field/cultivar", and it wasn't a line of dialogue. Am I losing my mind? XD
No, you're not. That was my direct translation of the torch I received from pachelbel. I did a cleaning pass that involved adding a couple lines to introduce characters, partially for my own sanity because I couldn't keep track of who was being talked about and partially because of limitations of Atili discourse rules.
Creator of Image Atili
My website | My blog
Trailsend

Post by Trailsend »

Mándinrùh wrote: 25 Dec 2022 01:10 No, you're not. That was my direct translation of the torch I received from pachelbel. I did a cleaning pass that involved adding a couple lines to introduce characters, partially for my own sanity because I couldn't keep track of who was being talked about and partially because of limitations of Atili discourse rules.
Aha! Could you also post a translation of the actual Atili text? I'm curious to see how close I got!
(it/they)
任何事物的发展都是物极必反,否极泰来。
Mándinrùh
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Mándinrùh »

Two women stood at the outskirts of a small village.

“Your mother keeps asking why I care for you,” said one of the women. “You do love me, don’t you?”

“Of course I love you, but you’re always scared and you never want to leave home.”

“How dare you‽ I’m not afraid! Because I petition and worship the gods, I cannot be afraid.”

There was a man called Etiam there, and while the women were talking, he started to walk to a place where there was a beehive. Someone called for him to be careful, but still he kept walking. Without thinking, he walked straight into the great tree where the beehive was with a thud. The bees swarmed, and the man yelled in pain.

“What a fool! Did you hear that idiot?”

“Yes, I heard.”

“Do you know how to be quiet? Do you know true peace? Then you were a very pious woman. Forgive me the anger of my past.”

“You understand fear, but still you can love. Your brief anger is not of even the slightest importance. It is more important to be kind than to be pious.”
My full torch is available for download. Since the relay is over, the password is "shpe rirnodon" (no quotation marks).
Creator of Image Atili
My website | My blog
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Jackk wrote: 24 Dec 2022 19:37 Oh huzzah! It's a Christmas miracle! [:D]
When I saw loglorn's translation, my first instinct was that 'beehive' was a metaphor of sorts. Admittedly my thought was about an authoritarian state, and I wanted to translate it with a word in Laotian or Vietnamese for their equivalent of the Politburo
kiwikami wrote: 24 Dec 2022 20:26 I love how quickly "cramps" turned into "violin/guitar/lute" - the Alál word literally means "string under tension" and is used for muscle cramps, ships' docklines, and the strings of instruments, and that last meaning is what got passed along! Really really neat to see the steps in between.
I could tell that there was some metaphor that I wasn't getting with the fiddles playing, but I had no idea what it was. There's no reasonable word for "fiddle/erhu" as I got in loglorn's lexicon, so I ultimately felt I needed to remove it: it wouldn't be the kind of detail a HTAP speaker would notice.

I am certainly amused at how the names went from Thomas to Etienne, not a completely bizarre change despite the many different phonologies it passed through
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

qwed117 wrote: 25 Dec 2022 04:53
Jackk wrote: 24 Dec 2022 19:37 Oh huzzah! It's a Christmas miracle! [:D]
When I saw loglorn's translation, my first instinct was that 'beehive' was a metaphor of sorts. Admittedly my thought was about an authoritarian state, and I wanted to translate it with a word in Laotian or Vietnamese for their equivalent of the Politburo
I translated it as beehive because i thought it was a excerpt from the Bee Movie script,,,

Theres a scene where he argues with his family that could conceivably be mangled into the text i got. I at least got right that the original was an argument between family members. Powerful relay energy.
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
Trailsend

Post by Trailsend »

Mándinrùh wrote: 25 Dec 2022 02:22 (text)
:D :D Oh dang I got much closer than I worried I did XD

Y'all can find my torch here!

https://hiding-waters.wanderwards.com/cbb-relay-xv.html

If anybody (especially Emanresu or Iyionaku) has any thoughts on ways I could make future torches easier to work with, I'm always keen for feedback!

(Note: The morphological breakdown section at the bottom is something I sometimes include because it cuts down the most time-consuming part of translating a HW text, which is parsing where the morpheme boundaries are, and that makes it much more feasible to do a relay hand-off in time. It wasn't in the torch when I initially passed it; I added it after a few days.)
(it/they)
任何事物的发展都是物极必反,否极泰来。
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

Wow, I was a lot further off than I thought I was. Sorry, folks.

Also, FYI, my language is Näzyuva, not Näzjuva.
proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-september-6th-2022 gang

my garbage2c2ef0, areyaxi family, arskiilz, kahóra, xúuuatxia family, alushi, njabad, ẹlnk, kakúsan

she/her